SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Better tires for 4Runner Trail?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better tires for 4Runner Trail? Login/Join 
posted
I have a 2015 4Runner Trail and am looking for recommendations on an AT tire. The Dunlop AT20’s just don’t get it done in some of the muddy slop that I need to navigate from time to time.

I want to stay at the OEM size (265 / 70R17) unless there is really good reason to go bigger (looking for input on that as well). I spend 75% of the time driving highway and local paved roads and 25% is offroad - mostly gravel/dirt and with all of the rain lately lots of mud. The Dunlops just don’t shed mud well and I tend to slide at times so I am looking for something that will shed the mud better. Input on load rating is welcome as well.

I am thinking BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 but am open to suggestions.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i bought some Hankook's.
I like them a lot so far. Good deep tread and great overall traction on varied terrain. Dirt, gravel, pavement.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19184 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Replaced factory tires with T/A KO2 on my Tacoma at 20K miles and they made such a difference that when I sold it and bought a 4 Runner I ordered a set immediately and sold the OEMs on Craigslist. They aren’t really noisy on the road and they do very well in sand and on rocky trails. They’re good in the kind of mud I encounter but they’re not serious mudders by any strech, if that’s what you require.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honor and Integrity
posted Hide Post
I asked myself the same question when I needed tires for my 2012 4Runner Trail. I was going to get some Cooper AT3's, but went with the Nokian Rotiiva AT instead. I've 13,000 miles, and they still look new. I was going to order from Simple Tire, but my local Discount Tire matched the internet price.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Fitchburg, WI | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The KO2's are a good choice. I have a limited but put the KO2 on during the winter as I respond to Red Cross calls as a volunteer. They have not failed me yet. I do put the 20's back on for summer months as I get better mileage with those. The KO2 will be quite a bit heavier than the originals and you will take a hit on gas mileage due to weight and rolling resistance. They do look like the right tire for a 4Runner when you get them mounted. If you go to the 4Runner Forum you will find it is far and away the most often mounted tire by the members.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ I am a fan of the BFG A/T as well.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Ti...UZVQewhoCEVwQAvD_BwE

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Here's a link on Tire Racks site that I find very helpful. Consumers rate A/T tires that fit your vehicle. Pay close attention to the miles reported column when picking one. It confirms you're on the right track with the BFGoodrich, though it is the second most expensive tire in the group. The Continental might be the best value, but with only 287K miles reported vs. 5.6M for the BFG, it's a bit of a gamble, and the chart does not rate how noisy any of these tires can be.

Link

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
T/A KO2

This, this, more this, and all this.

From smooth highway at 40 psi to dirty rocky mountain singletrack at 13 psi, there is nothing these tires can't handle. Raging heat, flowing water and a foot of snow roll under these tires with nary a hiccup.

I also find the BFGs, while not quiet, are smooth, and the volume is not noticeable at all.

The only problem I have had was with 5 inch nail that went through the tread diagonally and penetrated the sidewall from the inside. Yeah that sucked.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have a set of BFG's for a rig I own. I think they are a bit overrated and expensive. You always see the kind of comments here in virtually every thread on any website you might care to look up. Imho it is a bit of a fanboy thing. While they are good. Not head and shoulders good over many others that are as good, maybe better and a lot less expensive.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19184 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
BFG All-Terrain KO2's.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
The BFGs are a very good tire and last a long time.

I had the Bridgestone AT Revo 2 on my ‘07 Tacoma and loved them.

Nitto Terra Grapplers and Toyo Open Country AT are better tires but heavy and wear more quickly (40,000 mile rating, IIRC). I had the Toyos on my ‘14 4Runner and liked them, but they got a little slick on the back end in the rain.

Cooper Discovery AT3 are even better than those two. I wish I had gone with those on my 4Runner.

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brywards:
The BFGs are a very good tire and last a long time.

I had the Bridgestone AT Revo 2 on my ‘07 Tacoma and loved them.

Nitto Terra Grapplers and Toyo Open Country AT are better tires but heavy and wear more quickly (40,000 mile rating, IIRC). I had the Toyos on my ‘14 4Runner and liked them, but they got a little slick on the back end in the rain.

Cooper Discovery AT3 are even better than those two. I wish I had gone with those on my 4Runner.

Cooper at3 or ko2

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have Goodyear Duratrac's on my 03 4Runner and like them quite a lot.

I know from experience that they are absolutely great in the snow, slush and rain, and they work well for any light off-road driving that I do.

Research reviews for their mud performance.

Rob

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nitto Terra Grapplers are on my Titan, Love them.
True, they are not an uber-high mileage tire but they ride and grab great.

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
BFG All-Terrain KO2 are a good trade off street/off road. You'll get a bit more road noise than the tires you have now but not too bad.

Staying with the OEM size makes things a lot easier. No worries about rubbing, speedometer calibration or loss of MPGs.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i bought some Hankook's.
I like them a lot so far. Good deep tread and great overall traction on varied terrain. Dirt, gravel, pavement.

A great bang for your buck tire. More trendy on the street racer scene. A Korean company that actually creates their own designs instead of copying/stealing others.

I found the brand while in MO. A lot of city services used them. My only complaint is that once worn in, they have a slight wah wah wah sound at lower speeds. Keeping regular rotations helps reduce this. It will sound like a wheel bearing issue, but it is the tires.

If you truly need mud performance, then you will want to seek a mud tire. Those don't do as well on pavement, dirt, or wet. Mud tires are for mud. All terrains do adequate in more varied conditions but aren't the best. Figure your majority out and purchase accordingly.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for BFGs K02, I'm about 30k into my second set on a Silverado and couldn't be happier.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I put BFG AT KO2s on my TRD off road at 40 miles on the ODO and I’m about to roll 20k. When these are up for replacement, I’ll get another set of KO2s

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I am a YUGE goodyear wrangler duratrac fan.

Laughs at snow, Ice, mud, boulders, curbs, treadwear is not as bad as you would think either.

And they look cool to boot.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I looked into truck tires a few months ago (https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/2600008834?r=4110008834#4110008834) and came to the conclusion that the top 3 or 4 were all probably pretty close. Tons of good reviews, a few bad reviews on all of them. BFG A/T, Cooper Discover, Nitto Terra Grappler, et. al.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post