SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Firefox won't connect
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Firefox won't connect Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Having to use MS Edge to get here.

Firefox won't connect to the internet. I can't even close it by hitting the "X", have to go to the Task Manager. Trouble shooters and reverting to previous versions (none listed) not solving anything. Help!

edit -- just tried download and reinstall of latest FF, no go.

I'm heading out the door and won't be able to reply for the next few hours so thanks in advance.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
didja reboot? Razz

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What firewall are you running?

Did you happen to block Firefox with it?

Also do a virus/malware scan on your system.

Did you happen to click on a Firefox needs updating page that popped out of nowhere?

Firefox will update itself when you start it, it will never pop up a webpage to tell you to update it.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:

Did you happen to click on a Firefox needs updating page that popped out of nowhere? Firefox will update itself when you start it, it Did you happen to click on a Firefox needs updating page that popped out of nowhere?

Firefox will update itself when you start it, it will never pop up a webpage to tell you to update it.

I get that all the time. I just close it, do a scan, open "about Firefox" to see that I am in fact, up to date.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phelen_Kell:

Did you happen to click on a Firefox needs updating page that popped out of nowhere?

I have Firefox set up to notify me with updates, I don't let it do it automatically. I'll check "About Firefox" and update there as needed.

Malware Bytes found some stuff, removed, problem not solved. Ad Aware is now running a full scan, waiting.

I have the latest version shown, did a reinstall, nope.

I never fool with the firewall, will have to snoop around there looking for whatever.

The strange thing that remains is I can't close Firefox by Xing off, need the Task Manager.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
What a mess. Tried restoring to earlier today and all my restore points had been turned off. I've used that last resort before with no problem, no idea what's going on.

So the saving grace is Google Chrome let's me import my Firefox bookmarks and data so I'm up and running in a totally new environment. Not my first choice, I'll continue trying to find out FF's problem but, yeah, sanity maintained for foreseeable future. Jeez...

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I had a problem with Firefox for several weeks where it wouldn't connect to Fox News - no problems on any other site, and it happened on all three of my computers..

no problems now - the problem seems to have cured itself

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Your system clock isn't off is it?

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Fixed, woo hoo!!
For some reason I couldn't find the 64 bit version and finally did. Reinstall, all is good. No idea what went wrong, now know there's the Chrome fallback to cover my butt. Gotta look into what I've screwed up with my backup/recovery setup.