SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sunday Gun Day, I had a good day :)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sunday Gun Day, I had a good day :) Login/Join 
Picture of Mech
posted
Due to work and family things I have not been able to go to the range for about 5 months (I know, stow your pitchforks!). Finally made it out there today to working condition of a few pistols:

P229CA 9mm
P229EE 9mm
P365 9mm

And also to test out a couple new to me/built by me pistols:
P229Blue Piranha 9mm
Polymer 80 G19 9mm

All firearms functioned flawlessly; the Blue Piranha was shooting low and to the left; to be honest, all my other P229/P224 have been spoiled by GrayGun's dual adjustable triggers so the Piranha's squishy trigger was a re-learning experience for me hahaha.

Today being one of the last nice weather weekends in the PNW, the public range was pretty busy. There were quite a few new shooters there that I can tell. I also caught a few things and advised them to stop doing so, including:

> Muzzle sweeping (gun was empty, but stillWink

> Pulling the trigger to verify empty chamber with muzzle pointed towards the ground;

> Improper grip;

> How to clear malfunctions.

I honestly had a very good time demonstrating to these new shooters why we do/do not do certain things at the range, and they were all very receptive; I let all of them shoot my guns at different times and we all had a good time; for most of them it was the lady who was new to shooting, so I offered them shoot my P229's and P365 and they really liked it. All of them said they would want to shoot more later on and no one had to leave the range in disgust; many marveled at how big a difference can be noticed by just doing something a little different (e.g. getting a higher grip on the frame, shifting your weight forward a bit and not lean back; punch with your right hand instead of pulling with your left when racking the slide, etc.) and everyone left the range with the same number of holes that they came with, so that was a great day for all! Smile

The point of this story: the firearm community is still one of the friendliest and generous ones I have ever been fortunate to be a part of, and great to see some younger new shooters that are very open to learning!

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nice - proof why I rarely go shooting on the weekends, unless I'm their at open fire and gone before the idiot brigade shows up! Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mech
posted Hide Post
I hear ya; unfortunately my newest work schedule = Mon- Fri till 5PM, and I ain't paying $20 just to shoot for 60min till sun down! Smile

It does feel kind of good to be able to impart "experience" that I had learned onto others, since I was self-taught (re: shooting sport) and knows the struggles they are/will be going through Smile

Thankfully they were open to me sharing my experience and were willing to learn..otherwise I probably would have packed up and went to my private gun club's range too.

Posts: 1160 | Location: SW Washington, Support Sporting Systems! | Registered: March 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post