SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Office desk chair recommendations, please:
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Office desk chair recommendations, please: Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
In your price range, I can highly recommend this chair. We have these at work and they work very well. Very comfortable and long lasting.

https://www.grainger.com/produ...and-Tall-Task-64ZU22

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
How about another idea? Buy a decent chair of your choice and pair it with a standing desk. That way you're only seated part of the day. Personally, I'm on my feet far more than seated during the day and love the standing desk concept. They claim its healthier for you too. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm a 20yr Aeron user and owner by now. Best I've ever had or used, though now some others are surely as or almost as good.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'll add that everybody uses their chair differently and many would probably use their chair differently if they had paid for it themselves. We had a guy in the office that weighed 275 and would always flop down and sit way down in his chair and he wrecked 2 older steelcase chairs within a year or two.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10473 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
A standing desk s great.

Mine is a convertible one and I'll never go back to a regular, fixed, low desk.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recommendations, everyone. I looked for a used Herman Miller after looking at new office chairs at a couple of stores and online retailers. Didn't find a used one but ended up ordering a new one that will, hopefully, be here in three weeks.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Thank you for the recommendations, everyone. I looked for a used Herman Miller after looking at new office chairs at a couple of stores and online retailers. Didn't find a used one but ended up ordering a new one that will, hopefully, be here in three weeks.

Well how did this chair work out for you?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
While I still appreciate everyone giving their helpful opinions, unfortunately, I fucking hate this chair. Worst $1000 I've ever spent. I went with the C model, which is their largest. I'm a large guy and the seat frame digs into the back of my legs/thighs. The base is so pointy where the caster wheels are mounted that I hurt myself when I accidentally hit one of the legs with the heel of my foot. It's been two weeks and it's still sore.

I should have listened to you, bald1!

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
While I still appreciate everyone giving their helpful opinions, unfortunately, I fucking hate this chair. Worst $1000 I've ever spent.
I should have listened to you, bald1!

Sorry to hear this Orguss. I too would have needed the C version.

Ironically my ancient chair (pictured tonight below) is crapping out. I think the lever assembly is kaput as the cylinder intermittently activates lowering the chair without my input. It also has developed a very slight but noticeable cant. The lever's plate assembly's mounting holes have apparently developed some "slop" with the years of use. Last few days its been driving me nuts. So I've been looking at a new chair now. Really can't complain having gotten over a dozen years out of it. Big Grin

I don't see many of the style I have any more. Instead there's more of the gaming - racing style like this below which many laud for the comfort provided. I need to pop for something soon.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Orguss,

I've thrown caution to the wind and ordered the gaming style chair I pictured above. We'll see...

MATERIAL:Integrated metal frame with high density memory sponge and premium PU leather (easily cleaned and fade resistant)for years of use.
WARRANTY POLICY:Free Returns or Money Back Guarantee for any reason within 30 days; 5 year warranty on the production parts. Any dissatisfaction with our products or service, please contact us immediately.

But regardless if it ends up being a "fail" I won't be out the four figures your Herman Miller mesh job experience has cost you.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Orguss,

I've thrown caution to the wind and ordered the gaming style chair I pictured above. We'll see...

MATERIAL:Integrated metal frame with high density memory sponge and premium PU leather (easily cleaned and fade resistant)for years of use.
WARRANTY POLICY:Free Returns or Money Back Guarantee for any reason within 30 days; 5 year warranty on the production parts. Any dissatisfaction with our products or service, please contact us immediately.

But regardless if it ends up being a "fail" I won't be out the four figures your Herman Miller mesh job experience has cost you.
Please add a review for it here after you've had it for a bit. I too am looking for an office chair and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Please add a review for it here after you've had it for a bit. I too am looking for an office chair and can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

Will do. It's scheduled for delivery mid next week.

FWIW online reviews sanity checked with ReviewMeta are quite good which gives me hope (as I sit here in my old chair whose seat is as low as it goes putting my pectorals at desktop height...gesh).

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with that chair! Smile

posted Hide Post
Information on PU Leather

What is PU Leather?
Pu leather is also known as bicast leather or split leather. Pu leather is short for polyurethane leather because the coating on this leather is made with polyurethane. So, what is polyurethane vs leather and how is the polyurethane applied to leather? The polyurethane coating is embossed on top of vinyl leather to look more like real leather that has been aged. It does have a layer of real leather in it, but the layer of leather has been split (hence the name, split leather) so the layer of real leather is thinner than with genuine leather. It was originally made for the shoe industry, but it was then adapted into the furniture industry.

The benefits of pu leather are that, due to its split backing with a polyurethane coating, it is more economical that 100% genuine cow leather. It also has a smoother, even grain which makes it easier to clean.

The main disadvantage is that, due to the thinness of the leather and the polyurethane coating, the material does not hold up for as long as 100% genuine leather. It's prone to tears or the polyurethane coating from peeling away from the leather backing after a few years. It is also prone to color transfer onto clothing or other pieces of fabric.

https://www.officechairs.com/blog/what-is-pu-leather

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I knew about the PU leather going in. But for what I'm paying I'm good. Smile

Note the faux leather in my old chair is still in pretty darned good condition after over a decade. Really don't know if it PU or not. Just know that it isn't real leather.

As an aside real high grade leather isn't very common on chairs anymore and where it is it is SPENDY! Given the critical components that usually fail in an office chair (e.g. Hydraulic cylinder, etc.), premium leather many times outlasts them which could be considered a waste.

FWIW that four figure "Judge's" chair at work required one of the base's shops to weld the cracked lever assembly base plate at one time during my usage. Ultimately the whole base failed (to another user after I retired) rendering the chair useless. And the padded real leather was still in great shape.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I've been asked so here's what I ordered. Yup...very cheap by Herman Miller standards. There was even a $12 discount coupon available when I placed my order. Big Grin

Again my old chair was somewhere in the same price range back in 2007 too.

https://www.amazon.com/HEALGEN...cutive/dp/B07LD98B9T

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
And for those that think my old chair is simply suffering from a second hydraulic cylinder failure, note that the unbidden lowering is incremental and not a slow complete discharge. The later is what I experienced 3 years ago causing me to replace the cylinder. Symptoms here are different exacerbated by the skewed, canted adjustment plate on the bottom of the chair. All this is why I've ordered a new one. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well it arrived this morning and my youngest son came over to assemble it for me.

He indicated no issues with the supplied parts and assembly. And it went together quite quickly. Smile

Although I have assembly pix, I decided to just go with the finished product.

Note that I received a "bonus" USB powered suede covered small lumbar support cushion pictured on the seat. :thumbsup: It normally ships with the more expensive model that also has a retractable foot support.

Another plus I may not have mentioned before is that although this is a racing / gaming style chair (that my sons' strongly recommended for comfort), it has NO headrest cutouts, gaudy logos or color combinations. It is subdued which suits me just fine.

Comfort is excellent as is the apparent build quality. Adjustment controls are solid and positive. Was used to the mild built in lumbar support of my old chair pictured in a post above somewhere. This with the two available loose lumbar cushions is something new for me. I'm getting used to it. Smile

Obviously time will tell about long term durability but at the onset I'm quite pleased. Big Grin

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Granted it's still early but a few more observations:

Using the chair set at 105° (rather than 90° straight upright) without either lumbar pillow is very comfortable while using the computer as the lower back has some mild lumbar padding which is effective.

I find the small massage USB powered lumbar pillow is great when leaning back, rocking the 20° permitted, and relaxing while listening to music on my headphones or watching a video on the computer monitor. And for a real treat or back pain relief, the larger matching upholstered cushion in 120° or 150° "recliner mode" is da bomb!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
After seeing the price hit $180, today it is an Amazon LIGHTNING deal at $142.79!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LD98B9T/

USN (RET), COTEP #192