SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Surgeon General and Narcan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surgeon General and Narcan Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
he appears to not get the idea...

http://www.foxnews.com/health/...general-advises.html

its NOT my job to save suicide victims from deliberately trying to kill themselves using drugs at my expense

don't want Narcan, will not buy it, will not offer it to anyone

period

end of story

yes, opioid abuse is a problem - but letting them kill themselves off solves the problem one death at a time

we have bigger and more pressing problems to deal with in this country - drug deaths is so far down on the list of things that are important as to not even make the bottom of Page 5.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Lemme see if I've got this right...

We'll hand out Narcan to save people who willfully endanger their own lives repeatedly, but not Epi-Pens for others who don't.

That about the size of it?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
you might be on to something...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
Lemme see if I've got this right...

We'll hand out Narcan to save people who willfully endanger their own lives repeatedly, but not Epi-Pens for others who don't.

That about the size of it?

Stop being logical. The thought police will find you.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Troll
posted Hide Post
nhtagmember,

I like the way you think.

No way I'd administer narcan.

Why not?

I'm not a medical professional. For all I know the man/woman is suffering from something different than an overdose of dope and I've administered something incorrect and caused harm.

Plus, if he/she is suffering from an overdose of dope, they chose their path. Who am I to interfere?

Posts: 261 | Registered: May 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Ah, yeah.

Not really interested in participating in this.

If people want to do illegal drugs and risk their own lives, it's on them. Its a free country and who am I to impose upon their choices?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
My Dad took a fall and suffered several fractures last year. He was offered two prescriptions, one for pain and one for narcan. He turned down the narcan because we don't have any small children in the house and Dad doesn't like taking pain pills. It's not a bad idea to have it on hand in case the kids get into it.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Due to the rapidly rising incidence of fentanyl in my patrol area, we were issued narcan in the event we become contaminated during a contact. Strictly for officers to save themselves/each other. I would not waste it on a junkie unless the cameras were rolling.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If we make overdosing safer- People will just push the limit since we've reduced the risk.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
No way do I feel any responsibility to help save someone that buys illegal drugs from a felon that got them from another felon that he got from a felon that manufactured the stuff in the first place. Nope, not my problem in the slightest.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Accidental Fantanyl exposure is one reason to I suppose.
To all those who say no way, what if it’s your kid? Would you want someone to help him out? Or just let him die off to teach him a lesson?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
To all those who say no way, what if it’s your kid? Would you want someone to help him out? Or just let him die off to teach him a lesson?

I’m at the hospital with my newborn daughter.

If the situation came to pass that she made those choices, then the consequences would have to be faced.

My family is from LatAm. The damage that drugs cause is much more than an overdose.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

Depends on totality of circumstances. First time happening? or 12th time?

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
My old department had to administer naloxone to a drug dog, who got a whiff of fentanyl.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Odd, but not as weird as what former Surgeon General Dr. Jocelyn Elders advocated. I miss this shining jewel of ignorance so much.

Skip to the 28 second mark:

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We should all carry narcan just for the one in a million chance we might stumble upon an OD'ing addict. But these same people think it's insanity to allow people to carry handguns for self-defense.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
If I'm going to spend money and carry something on me that isn't for me, it would be an EpiPen not Narcan.

I genuinely feel sympathy for people with life threatening allergies, but don't remotely feel the same for druggies.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Perhaps having the Narcan to administer to a fellow traveler in the event of an accidental exposure (which I understand is quite possible) might be a reason to carry it?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Look, do you know cpr? Are you in uniform? Is it county/ government issued?

One of those three things above are when you mess with oding people. Otherwise when they stick you with their aids and hep c needle, you have no one to blame but yourself. I can not wait for the first person who has this happen to them to sue for damages. Because the government told them it was the right thing to do, they now have aids. Good job.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post