SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Vista replacement?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Vista replacement? Login/Join 
posted
My desk top came with Vista when I purchased it quite a while ago and for the most part I haven't had a need to upgrade since I only use the computer for creating Word and PowerPoint documents as well as using it for internet access. I stopped getting updates years ago and now its getting to the point its no longer supported by a host of different programs so i guess its time to upgrade to something else. My question is do I have any options other than Microsoft 10? I'd like to find something thats free or as cheap as possible.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Linux

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Linux

If I run Linux can I still run all the programs already loaded on my computer

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Linux

If I run Linux can I still run all the programs already loaded on my computer

Short answer is; it depends.

I’ve tried to make the switch several times. Each time there is some mission critical program that I can’t find a replacement for under Linux.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
For the most part I’ve been very happy with the switch but there are a few windows unique programs that won’t run but there are several good windows emulators that you could run for the specific program

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
If you have a computer that came with Vista it is time for a new computer friend. You don't know what you're missing using that 14 year old machine.

Purchase a new lower end machine that comes with Windows 10 Home and you'll be in a much better place.

I'd not recommend Linux to someone who is not very computer literate. If you're asking if you can use your existing apps then Linux isn't right for you. There is a HUGE learning curve with Linux.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Vista was a resource hog so, you will likely have no issues UPDATING it to the already obsolete but still functional W7.

If you managed this far, W7 will certainly last you another couple of years. Should be able to install on top of Vista.

For anything else, you better start looking for new hardware.
Basicaly, there's nothing wrong with your software, it's just way outdated.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Vista was a mule breaker.
As a better alternative to installing over Vista, I'd want a clean install. If you have discs (or otherwise copies) of your programs to load, a fresh install of 7 or 10 would run faster and be infinitely more stable.
The 'upgrade' option always seems to breed a few ghosts in the machine.

Posts: 7251 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Agreed, as long as there´s no need for a fancy discontinued specific Vista driver and the OP has all the required software.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is do I have any options other than Microsoft 10?
Not really given what you need it for. And given the apparent age of your machine, you may have hardware/software issues upgrading to Win10. LBTRS' comments above are likely right on target.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
I'd not recommend Linux to someone who is not very computer literate. If you're asking if you can use your existing apps then Linux isn't right for you.

Concur, and I use Linux exclusively.

quote:
There is a HUGE learning curve with Linux.

Not really. Not any more. No more learning curve than there'd be switching between any of the three current major OS'.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
calugo ,
do yourself a favour mate - download MX19.2 Linux - burn it to a dvd - set your computers BIOS to boot from the dvd drive - try MX19.2 as a " live " dvd and see what you think . Will be fast - efficient - easy to use - won't break your operating system when you do updates .
Best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bernborough2000:
calugo ,
do yourself a favour mate - download MX19.2 Linux - burn it to a dvd - set your computers BIOS to boot from the dvd drive - try MX19.2 as a " live " dvd and see what you think . Will be fast - efficient - easy to use - won't break your operating system when you do updates .
Best .

Thanks for all the replies guys I'm going to give MX19.2 a shot and see how it works. I do have a laptop with Windows 10 so I'm not totally in the dark ages but I'd still like to keep my desk top operational until it crashes.

posted Hide Post
It's definitely time for a hardware upgrade. I have one Linux machine (a server) and a whole bunch of of W-10 machines. I don't hate Linux by any means, but there is a learning curve (kinda steep but not bad). Same with W-10 over Vista. Same with OSx over Vista. You're going to have a learning curve no matter which OS you go with but they're not all that bad. One week gets where you need to be IMHO. There is not a bad choice these days.

Posts: 7546 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
calugo ,
If you have any problems mate give me a whistle - my mate who is 94 years old uses MX19.2 on a macbook pro that I gave him and he has very few problems . There are literally hundreds of youtube videos on Linux but it is very simple to get used to and you will probably never have to use the command line .
Best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I do not use Windows, but my wife does, and she likes version 8.1. She uses only laptops, and has bought a few refurbished ones that came with 8.1 originally installed, as a sort of backup resource so she can keep using that version. 8.1 has extended support (security updates) until January 2023.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Word and PowerPoint documents as well as using it for internet access

Ubuntu or Mint + Open office would do nicely for this. If you're running a specific program besides a browser & office, you will need more research.
There are others that would probably be better resource-wise on ~10 year old hardware, but those will have the most support & google-able answers.
As Bernb said, you can download a 'live' .iso image and burn to a CD or USB stick to try before you install.
I like YUMI as an easy-to-use USB bootloader, but there are many others. I keep a 16GB USB stick around with Ubuntu & Win10 installer to fix problems - if nothing is working, I can load Ubuntu, copy important data off the computer & then nuke & reinstall win10.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
My desk top came with Vista when I purchased it quite a while ago and for the most part I haven't had a need to upgrade since I only use the computer for creating Word and PowerPoint documents as well as using it for internet access. I stopped getting updates years ago and now its getting to the point its no longer supported by a host of different programs so i guess its time to upgrade to something else. My question is do I have any options other than Microsoft 10? I'd like to find something thats free or as cheap as possible.

Unless you are willing to run Linux, Windows 10 is your absolute best option. It's really the only option I would consider unless you just surf the web and check email (and have no Windows based applications).

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
I'd not recommend Linux to someone who is not very computer literate. If you're asking if you can use your existing apps then Linux isn't right for you.

Concur, and I use Linux exclusively.

quote:
There is a HUGE learning curve with Linux.

Not really. Not any more. No more learning curve than there'd be switching between any of the three current major OS'.

Come on, you're not being honest with this. I just installed a simple file manager and once installed I then had to follow command line instructions from an ubuntu forum to get it to work properly.

I've not had to work with a command prompt in Windows in over a decade (maybe two).

While it is getting better for sure, there is still a steep learning curve with Linux. Flatpak, Snap, which distro, depositories, command line usage, etc. is more complex.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Desktop PCs are so ridiculously cheap these days, just replace it with a new one that has Windows 10 installed. You don’t need to be messing around with an old machine trying to upgrade it, it’s just going to be a exercise in frustration.

And I’m a guy that used to build PCs, it’s just gotten to the point where they are disposable.

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post