SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft Vista replacement?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft Vista replacement? Login/Join 
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is do I have any options other than Microsoft 10?

If the computer is that old chances are it won't run Win 10. time for an upgrade.

This is the min MS claims it needs to run.

These are the official minimum system
ADVERTISEMENT

requirements to run Windows 10:

Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC.
Memory: 1GB for 32-bit OS or 2GB for 64-bit OS.
Storage: 16GB for 32-bit OS 20GB for 64-bit OS.
Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver.
Display: 800 x 600.

I doubt it will run very well at the lower end.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m assuming the OP has a monitor, mouse, KB etc that can be reused?

Look at this, 350 bucks, done. Don’t mess around with trying to upgrade it or install Linux, it’s just not worth your time and energy. Replace it:

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Usually they come with a mouse and keyboard at that price. New 20 flatscreen are a hundred or so.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Couldn't agree more and is what I recommended in my first post. A cheap replacement that includes Windows 10 is what is needed.

Upgrading or updating a 10+ year old machine is way more trouble than it is worth.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I vote replace.

For $350, you get a fast SSD, 8 gigs of memory and 1 TB of HDD.

It'll run circles around whatever computer you had that was old enough to come with Vista pre-installed, unless it was some ridiculous dual processor Xeon workstation from that era--and even then I'd take a computer with a new SSD over it.

Not to mention a new operating system.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post