SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Rabbits and pepper plants. Control question.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rabbits and pepper plants. Control question. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
How do you control rabbits that like to eat your pepper plants and other delicious plants? I've tried the various commercial repellents with zero success, and fencing is not practical and is cost prohibitive.

Shooting is an option.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I just fenced netted off a 30x10 ft. area of hydrangeas w/ netting that was under $40.
I also gave up on the commercial repellents as they last for too short of a time. Sprays wash off w/ an evening rain. Predator scent containers are too much $$ and don't last.

I've wanted to .357sig the deer so bad, but can't.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Raptors love to eat rabbits. That is all I got.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
I have a Gamo Big Cat Whisper. 177. Is that a raptor?

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]I have a Gamo Big Cat Whisper. 177. Is that a raptor?[/quote^^

Yep in my book. You said shooting is an option. Go for it, but check the game laws to make sure they can be shot out of season. Certain animals are considered pests and may be controlled in that manner. Trapping is pretty easy as well.

Here is one option:

http://www.havahart.com/how-to-trap-rabbits

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Bolt 22 rifle with a can if you have it, pellet rifle otherwise. I put up deer netting around my garden each summer (about 70 or so linear feet) which mostly keeps them out of that, and declared war 3 years ago on anything that would eat the greenery. I’ve lost some hostas to deer I believe, but have not had any significant incursions of rabbits since the slaughter of ‘17... Vigilence continues however, assisted by my Scottish Terrier, Sir William Wallace, who readily identifies the intruders on his evening strolls.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Tonight I re-confirmed my membership in the One Shot, One Kill club. 15 yards (+/- 1 foot) from my elevated hide (back deck). 1 done, more Frown to go. I have two Hav-A-Hart traps and I'm going to try apples as bait.

By the way, it was a righteous shot. He/she was chowing down on pepper leaves.

BIDEN SUCKS.

posted Hide Post
Yes, violence is certainly the answer. I have dealt with many animal intruders, and when it boils down, DRT is the solution. However it is handy to do that. I do not cap deer or javelina, but rabbits, pesty garden-eating birds and others get the d-penalty. The good thing is that they do not even know it.

Posts: 403 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get a Black Mouthed Cur?

Ours delivered her fourth rabbit on to the porch this evening.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I had a major rabbit problem until I started raising Velociraptors.

Within days all of the rabbits were gone.... And most of the neighborhood cats and dogs... and a few of the annoying kids that used to run across the yard....

But the rabbits were gone!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the chuckle.