SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vote: Unionized Metro Transit workers authorize strike during Super Bowl
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vote: Unionized Metro Transit workers authorize strike during Super Bowl Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Well played Minneapolis union bus and train drivers....well played indeed! LOL

http://www.startribune.com/vot...uper-bowl/457324673/

Unionized bus drivers, LRT operators and others at Metro Transit voted overwhelmingly to reject a final contract offer and authorize a strike during Super Bowl festivities next year.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good! I hope the stadium is 3/4 empty

While I'm at it, I hope TV viewership is so low they can only sell adds for $100 per second instead of over $1M per second.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23108 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
The way the NFL is filling stadiums Uber can get everyone to the game

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fucking burn the NFL to the ground - loving this!!!!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Hey a union strike I could care less about - strange f'n world these days.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3787 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
Hey a union strike I could care less about - strange f'n world these days.

I care a whole bunch. I hope they really do it.

What if you threw a super bowl and no one showed up...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zecpull:
The way the NFL is filling stadiums Uber can get everyone to the game

Big Grin Zing!

I can see the ESPN interview at the game: "Yeah, there was a big strike, but this one pajama-boy with his Cooper Clubman got everybody there in time. Had to make two trips, but we made it work." Lolz.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
They're just following the lead of the Philadelphia transit workers who threatened to strike during the DNC. They got what they wanted, and I'm sure these union workers will.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30301 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Anarion
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
They're just following the lead of the Philadelphia transit workers who threatened to strike during the DNC. They got what they wanted, and I'm sure these union workers will.

Or they find that the NFL's got some sort of "out" clause in which they can relocate the Super Bowl provided they give a year's notice...in which case, the Metro workers become everybody's goat and the NFL departs for a warmer clime.

==============================
On the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that on other days and other fields will bear the fruits of victory.
Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Posts: 3106 | Location: Houston | Registered: December 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Good! I hope the stadium is 3/4 empty.

I'm a more 1/100 filled kinda person.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31385 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or they find that the NFL's got some sort of "out" clause in which they can relocate the Super Bowl provided they give a year's notice

That will never happen. It takes years to organize the game. They are planned years in advance and major money spent on it. There is no way they would or can change at this late date.

The stadium will be filled and all the tickets sold. the big issue is the rates paid by the advertisers.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
What possible rationale do they have to expect 1,000,000 people to show up for "festivities" prior to a game in a <67,000 seat stadium?

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
That will never happen

Yep. Super Bowl will be played in Minneapolis. I have a very good friend who will be watching this story with a lot of interest...he'll be rooting for the transit workers.

He works for Century Link here in Minneapolis and had this to say about the story when I shared with him:

The CWA had the same opportunity when Minneapolis hosted the Republican Convention and Denver had the Democrats the same time our contract expired ... of course my union didn't want to cause a PR disruption, so they agreed to postpone any strike activity until months after the events completed! Thanks to that brilliant negotiating ploy - my income has been steadily decreasing ever since!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Why telegraph it this early? I get that they don't want to strike, but it seems it'd be much more effective if you wait until a few months before. At this rate, the city could hire new folks and train them, couldn't they?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
I pray there is minimal inconvenience because no one is there.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Why telegraph it this early? I get that they don't want to strike, but it seems it'd be much more effective if you wait until a few months before. At this rate, the city could hire new folks and train them, couldn't they?
Am I missing something? It's less than 3 months away...

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6193 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
Hold a city hostage for a pay increase...watch cities try to lessen their reliance on these types of unions.

This is short sighted IMO. It only makes autonomous transit more appealing and shortens the payback.

Workers don't think enough about how an increase in their pay shortens the ROI for their bosses to buy technology to do their jobs.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is short sighted IMO. It only makes autonomous transit more appealing and shortens the payback.

Not in Minneapolis. Here it is brilliant. Every election you have leftist liberals taking over city leadership from leftist liberals who are not "left enough". This is the city that just past a $15 minimum wage and mandatory sick leave for all employees at the business's expense.

Every year more and more vehicle lanes are eliminated so that dedicated bike and bus-lanes can be added. I am rarely pro-union but in this case I will watch this story and giggle my ass off as city leadership reaps what they sew.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

posted Hide Post
C'mon big labor, urge the players union to respect the strike. Teamsters too. Shut the whole thing down. Flex that muscle.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post