SIGforum
How do i bounce back unsolicited email?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1550038364

December 02, 2019, 01:50 PM
0-0
How do i bounce back unsolicited email?
Two years ago i sold a property.
Informed the building managing company as doon as the deal was closed.

Had been receiving each and every email they have sent to regular owners in my email accounts. Get them on my phone, hary never use an email client or webmail access.

Been resending their emails to two addresses of guys who promissed to get this fixed but done nothing about it.

Ran out of patience long ago. Almost ready to get nasty...

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
December 02, 2019, 01:55 PM
architect
It is a mistake to reply to unsolicited email. It marks your address as a "live one" and makes it more valuable for resale. The number of messages sent to you will increase if you do this.

Instead, create a filter in your email client that automatically discards what you don't want to receive. Some people prefer to shuffle these off to a spam folder for review in case the filter makes a mistake (AKA a "false positive").
December 02, 2019, 01:56 PM
slosig
Just creat a rule to redirect any mail from them to your spam folder. Periodically deleted everything in your spam folder. If you never see the messages, they’ll bother you less.
December 02, 2019, 02:36 PM
45 Cal
Spam folder is your friend with shif like this.
December 02, 2019, 02:41 PM
HRK

December 02, 2019, 03:56 PM
gpbst3
Block the email address. Add it to the spam folder

December 02, 2019, 03:58 PM
parabellum
Mail Washer

Allows you to bounce back emails, showing the email as undeliverable. I used to use this program and it fooled more than one spammer or person who I wanted to discourage.
December 03, 2019, 12:47 AM
wingspar
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Mail Washer

Allows you to bounce back emails, showing the email as undeliverable. I used to use this program and it fooled more than one spammer or person who I wanted to discourage.

I’ll second MailWasher, but you will need MailWasher Pro to be able to bounce email. Been using the program for years. Problem with many of the spammers is that they don’t monitor the address the email is sent from, but those that do will eventually remove you from their list.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent
December 03, 2019, 04:11 AM
1lowlife
Mark it as junk and move on..
December 03, 2019, 10:25 AM
Thanks for suggesting MailWasher. I get over 150 spam emails a day.
When I go away for several days, it takes me over an hour to clear my spam folder. Mad

December 03, 2019, 11:09 AM
sjtill
I see Mailwasher is Windows only.

December 03, 2019, 11:14 AM
maxdog
Yes, I need a good software program for Apple that will allow blocking and rejecting emails.
December 03, 2019, 11:48 AM
fpuhan
Apple's Mail.app used to have a "bounce" feature, but it was removed years ago. Probably because it doesn't cost any more for spammers to send to bogus email addresses, and they've gotten smarter about detecting bounce efforts, Apple changed and made filtering junk email easier.

On top of Apple's solution, I've been a very satisfied user of SpamSieve, an add-on that includes blacklists, whitelists, a corpus of addresses, and a very large set of rules one can employ to limit spam. If something gets through the "perimeter" gate, I just add a rule, and *poof* I never see that spam again.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member
December 03, 2019, 11:58 AM
smschulz
If you use Outlook then just create a "rule" to auto-delete or move to deleted folder.
Of course it only works on all devices if your email server is MS Exchange.
Otherwise you have to deal with it individually on all devices.
You also might check to see if you can do this at the server level if your address is GMAIL or similar based WEB/IMAP server.
Not sure but probably doable - I mainly deal with or use Exchange on Premise or O365 which it is accomplishable.
Of course Outlook itself can do it at the computer level too.
Like mentioned above if you use a third party gateway Spam Control that software should be able to as well.
However, it is more easily accomplished if you own your own domain.
Good Luck.
December 03, 2019, 12:01 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
Apple's Mail.app used to have a "bounce" feature, but it was removed years ago. Probably because it doesn't cost any more for spammers to send to bogus email addresses, ...

This ^^^^^

Even "legitimate" spam is often sent from addresses that are undeliverable.

Worse: Spammers and scammers often fake the "From:" address using real email addresses that belong to totally innocent third parties. So when you bounce them, you bounce them to somebody else that then becomes a victim.

Doing that can get your own email address blacklisted, which can result in your email getting rejected by others.

Trust me when I tell you this, because this is an area in which I have more than a little experience: You absolutely do not want to wind up on an email blacklist. They are bloody difficult to get off of. Sometimes impossible.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
December 03, 2019, 11:12 PM
Timdogg6
Hmmmm thinking of the ramification of making a rule to auto reply a nasty image, or sending it to the the president of the company.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz