SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Autism and violence
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autism and violence Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
I sent you an email to the address in your profile.
Received. Thank you. I'll bring it up at the meeting on Tuesday.

Thanks everybody! The prayers and advice are extremely helpful.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
My cousin teaches autism kids and it is a very complex and tough job.

There are many things that they think causes autism. Here is a search of the Life Extension Foundation for nutritional supplements for treating autism:

https://www.lifeextension.com/...category=[Magazines]

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Good luck Mark, I'm sure it's quite difficult for you and your family, hope you find a solution for all involved.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit:
I assume you're aware the lawsuits regarding Risperdal and Gynecomastia. It was prescribed to my son also.

We are and I have Lucas do push ups to keep the symptoms in tact. It actually works and he gets a kick out of working out with Dad.

quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
We’ve gone through the same issues over the years. Autism and puberty did not mix well at all. However, in the recent months we’ve started Lucas on CBD oil with .25 of THC and his normal dosage of Risperdal. We’ve seen a 40% reduction in his behaviors. It’s been a great relief and his quality of life has greatly improved.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all: Prayers for you and your family.

And I can't possibly know all the details, and you have mentioned that your son has a case worker, but I wonder if he has seen a really serious clinical psychologist. I would consider that if you haven't. Drugs and case-workers have their place, but even "normal people" often have anger issues and a good clinical psychologist may be very helpful.

Good luck.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[quote]And I can't possibly know all the details, and you have mentioned that your son has a case worker, but I wonder if he has seen a really serious clinical psychologist. I would consider that if you haven't. Drugs and case-workers have their place, but even "normal people" often have anger issues and a good clinical psychologist may be very helpful.[/q

I would second the above. Do not mess around with lower level providers. See a doctoral level psychologist.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
First of all: Prayers for you and your family.

And I can't possibly know all the details, and you have mentioned that your son has a case worker, but I wonder if he has seen a really serious clinical psychologist. I would consider that if you haven't. Drugs and case-workers have their place, but even "normal people" often have anger issues and a good clinical psychologist may be very helpful.

Good luck.
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I would second the above. Do not mess around with lower level providers. See a doctoral level psychologist.
It's something that I've not thought about. I wonder if any such thing is available locally. Butler, PA is probably my best, closest bet.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Something else you may want to consider is to test him for RoundUp levels and Vitamin D3 levels. Vitamin D3 is probably the most important since it effects the brain and also wards off cancer.

More research is showing the increased levels of RoundUp showing up in peoples blood.

The Link Between Autism and Low Levels of Vitamin D
April 2009

By Julius Goepp, MD

Vitamin D Intake and Cognitive Performance

If even some of the damage done by vitamin D deficiency during fetal development is reversible, we’d expect to find that vitamin D supplementation would help reduce autistic symptoms at least to some extent. There aren’t yet many good studies on this subject, but what we know is encouraging. A multivitamin supplementation study of 20 autistic children in 2004 showed improvements in sleep and gastrointestinal problems that are common in autism (that study only provided 150 units of vitamin D per day, which as we’ll see is probably well below the minimum requirement).71 Similar multivitamin studies have shown improvements in cognitive function even in apparently normal schoolchildren, according to one review of 14 separate studies.72

What’s remarkable (and heartbreaking) is that while these studies show very little effect on most of the children evaluated, about 20% of the children had substantial gains in performance.72 This 20% might represent a vitamin D-deficient subgroup of children—a tremendous number if these figures hold nationwide.3

We would also expect that consumption of vitamin D-rich foods by pregnant women would improve cognitive performance in their infants, and indeed Cannell provides evidence that high maternal consumption of fish, rich in vitamin D, is associated with better cognitive outcomes in infants.73,74 Another recent study demonstrated that infants born to mothers with very low seafood intake had higher risks for having low verbal IQs, less well-socialized behaviors, and poorer fine motor and communication skills.75 As Cannell persuasively argues, these deficiencies are “eerily similar to [those found in] autism.”3

https://www.lifeextension.com/...of-vitamin-d/page-02

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughters best friend adopted an infant boy who turned out to have autism. She tried every treatment she could. By the time he was 14, she was divorced and her son was far bigger and stronger than she was. He started becoming physically abusive and, as hard as it was for her, she couldn't continue to have him in her home and take the chance of serious injury.

She found a group home (in Iowa) that does a good job with autistic kids. He has made a dramatic improvement and is nuch happier there. He comes home to visit for an occasional weekend, and is happy to be home, but when its time to go back, he is ready and anxious to go. Perhaps worth looking into.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I waited for a while to respond, as I don't have expertise in this area... but I wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my prayers.

People who have kids that have special requirements are unbelievably compassionate and caring and are wonderful parents.

I wish you and your son the best of luck.

James

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
email sent

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I know little about autism. It's a tough situation when you don't know what causes his outbursts, if/when it might occur again.

You and your wife are faced with a difficult decision about what's best for your son and your family. I hope it works out for you.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
No experience with this at all. Just sending you all the biggest hugs and prayers for strength.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yesterday's meeting was actually helpful. A behavior analysis and various daily observations are being scheduled for the near future.

I asked about restraining techniques and the reply was "there are no safe restraining techniques" and "the best de-escalation plan is to get out and leave him alone". I'm not so sure about that but that's where we are.

I don't feel good leaving him alone in that state at all. He could topple an appliance onto himself or get into the kitchen knives among other things.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mark123,

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
We had a nice 3 hour meeting with a behavior analyst this afternoon. He seemed to think that in each instance perhaps it was a day when Marky couldn't do his "decompressing" ritual. Normally, when he gets home from work he will unpack his lunch, change his clothes and go outside to dance and jump until he sweats. He suggested an indoor exercise trampoline, an exercise ball, weighed blankets and compression clothing.

It's a start.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

I asked about restraining techniques and the reply was "there are no safe restraining techniques"....

Nonsense. Utter nonsense.

Contact your local police department. Ask who teaches their officers "hands on" combative techniques, then speak with that person about the techniques taught to their officers to physically restrain someone. Then find a dojo to learn those techniques and others.

Alternatively, find an aikido dojo and a Brazilian jujitsu dojo and see if they teach a basic self-defense course. Aikido has no offensive techniques, BJJ is about grappling on the ground.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
any up date's ?
how's this goin?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Normally, when he gets home from work he will unpack his lunch, change his clothes and go outside to dance and jump until he sweats. He suggested an indoor exercise trampoline, an exercise ball, weighed blankets and compression clothing.

If he has only a limited repertoire for his "recovery" at the end of the day, you have limited ability if the actions aren't available. Have you considered working in several routines into his practice so that he can choose his method for the day? You might even be able to find one quiet way for those days when you can't do the active methods (books, Nintendo game (can't even believe I'm suggesting that one), meditation), etc..

Just a thought - get Marky involved with the choices and see what he brings up to try.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
any up date's ?
how's this goin?
It seems to have leveled out. Of course there has been a long period between previous outbursts. Thanks for asking.

Oh, I've also been giving him 2mg of melatonin to help him sleep and that seems to have helped him, too.