SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Autism and violence
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autism and violence Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
My youngest was diagnosed with Asperger’s at an early age. Along with that came Turrets Syndrome.
He is functional. He is married and holds down a job. I don't know how functional your son is so please take my advice in the proper perspective.
I can tell you from my personal experience that Asperger’s is not always responsible for violent behavior. Many people with this do not get violent.
Maybe psychiatric care is called for to address the root cause of his outbursts.
I wish you the best in this difficult time.

Here is a link on violence and people on the spectrum.
https://www.mdedge.com/psychia...r-it-fact-or-fiction

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steroids are a common cause of irritabilty, chronic insomnia, and in some cases hypomanic behavior. The diagnosis of Autism just adds to the equation. He needs to see a psychiatrist who has experience treating autism and dealing with steroid induced issues. In reading your previous posts his case is particularly problematic due to his kidney issues. If I recall correctly he was treated at the University of Pittsburgh. In any case, your son should be treated at a major university medical center that has experience dealing with complex medical cases such as your son. A team approach is probably best.

Posts: 17176 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My first question is, if Marky is 21, what is Child Protective Services going to do? He is not a minor. I imagine the police will get involved in this at some point, I'm surprised they weren't called when you went to ER.

I work with a special needs hockey team. Many kids are on the spectrum. There is one kid, that for whatever reason when I work with his skill group, sneaks u behind me and whacks me full force in the back of my head with his stick. Fortunately he is 12, and I'm wearing a helmet so it's annoying at best. However when he decided to become a goalie and they asked for me to work with him I politely declined. After hearing my case the director smile and gave me a pass, apparently I'm not his only target.

I have no idea what sets this kid off but when he its someone his face has that mixture of "and there.. whaddaya gonna do about it" and "I want to kill you" look.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:

My first question is, if Marky is 21, what is Child Protective Services going to do? He is not a minor.
quote:
They have to make a report to Adult Protective Services concerning his black eye.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Have you considered starting Jiu-Jitsu?

I tell you as a pretty strong man. I've been man handled by a 63 year old purple belt that weighed 165#. Not a mark was left... Except for on my humility. Big Grin

But good luck in what ever you do.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry you have to go through this with family.

This is more of a question than a suggestion. Does something like a quick injectable, fast acting sedative/tranquilizer exist? To calm/slow him down. Or is this just some make believe tv show thing someone made up.

I also like the Jiu-Jitsu suggestion. Aikido also has some really good joint lock take down techniques.

Wish you both the best.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I'm 51 and I have a pretty bad lower back so jiujitsu isn't going to be on the list. I did practice aikido back in my late 20s. I'm surprised it kicked in after all this time but he got hurt because I'm sloppy. I'm sure I'd be dead if I hadn't been calm and decided I wasn't letting him get up for another go at me.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I feel sorry for those with situations like this.

My daughter works with autistic children, and even though they are small, they can and do injure her. My heart goes out to her, and again, to those who have to deal with this type of violence.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I'm sure I'd be dead if I hadn't been calm and decided I wasn't letting him get up for another go at me.

I have no intelligent advice to offer other than my emotional support and prayers but the above comment really bothers me. I'm sure you know what you're doing but it may be time to review and ask yourself if you may be in a bit over your head.
Stay safe.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:
I'm sure I'd be dead if I hadn't been calm and decided I wasn't letting him get up for another go at me.

the above comment really bothers me.

That was my immediate reaction as well over and above my first post above.
Serious matters should be treated as serious matters.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
^^^^^^ This.
^^^Indeed. My prayers will be with all of you for a solution.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

I have no intelligent advice to offer other than my emotional support and prayers but the above comment really bothers me. I'm sure you know what you're doing but it may be time to review and ask yourself if you may be in a bit over your head.
Stay safe.
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
That was my immediate reaction as well over and above my first post above.
Serious matters should be treated as serious matters.

We have a meeting set for Tuesday at 9am with his case worker at Human Services, his employment coordinator and counselor. We've all come to the conclusion that something has got to change. Whether it's medication, or living alone, or counseling, something is going to happen.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Crud! I'm in a funk tonight. Marky just wants things to go back to normal. My wife is terrified and is over at her daughter's house. I did all the chores we normally do together. It felt ... lonely? That's something I've never minded before.

Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
We’ve gone through the same issues over the years. Autism and puberty did not mix well at all. However, in the recent months we’ve started Lucas on CBD oil with .25 of THC and his normal dosage of Risperdal. We’ve seen a 40% reduction in his behaviors. It’s been a great relief and his quality of life has greatly improved.

Posts: 1963 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I assume you're aware the lawsuits regarding Risperdal and Gynecomastia. It was prescribed to my son also.

quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
We’ve gone through the same issues over the years. Autism and puberty did not mix well at all. However, in the recent months we’ve started Lucas on CBD oil with .25 of THC and his normal dosage of Risperdal. We’ve seen a 40% reduction in his behaviors. It’s been a great relief and his quality of life has greatly improved.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crud! I'm in a funk tonight. Marky just wants things to go back to normal. My wife is terrified and is over at her daughter's house. I did all the chores we normally do together. It felt ... lonely? That's something I've never minded before.

You're never alone when you're logged into the forum my friend.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
I sent you an email to the address in your profile.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4311 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:

You’re in our thoughts and prayers brother. I’m sorry you’re going through this. We are all here for you.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Mark i know nothing about autism but hope and pray for marky you and your family.

Prayers from me too.

Posts: 13014 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
Adding you to my prayer list tonight.
You are not alone brother.
Keep working for a resolution and taking good care of yourself, your wife, and Marky.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post