SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Autism and violence
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Autism and violence Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
My son, Marky, is a 21 year old autistic person. Usually a sweet, gentle person. However, if something sets him off he boils inside and after a short while the screaming and breaking things begins. We never know what's going to be a trigger or how long ago it happened.

Tonight was one of his rare outbursts. I keep myself between him and my wife as he's struck her before. I had to restrain him while she escaped with our granddaughter.

I turned my eyes away for one moment and he sunk his teeth into my left pectoral. This quickly turned into a fight. Dang, a 21 year old, angry, autistic kid sure is strong. Let's just say ruthless and calculated won over dirty tactics. My goal was to protect the both of us but what can you do when being attacked? Then suddenly like a switch, he shut it down. He became apologetic and docile.

I ended up taking him to the ER to get checked out. He's beat up but fine. Me? Not so much. It's a little disturbing and I'm deep in guilt mode. The wife is afraid of him again.

If anyone has any advice on controlling autistic violence, I'm all ears.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I work with a guy that has an autistic son. He also used to work for a local health care provider that focused on autistic people. (He’s also a SASS Shooter).

I’ll ask him for any advice, or get him to register and maybe answer you himself.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ This.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Mark, I am so sorry for what you’re going through.
We have a 46-year-old son “on the spectrum”, what was called Asperger’s; extremely bright but will not talk about what he’s thinking. He’s been out of work for several years, must be feeling down about it, but what he’s thinking is a mystery.
Mental health people have been no help in the past. We are at a loss as to how to get help for him.
At least he hasn’t been violent; the worst he’s ever done was to throw an egg at me for some imagined slight from years before.
I don’t get him involved in firearms.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the prayers and the chat. I'm sure I need that as much or more than advice. Because, honestly, what can you really do?

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
^^^^^^ This.

Yes! Prayers from here for all concerned!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear of the troubles. I know you love Marky so much. I'm assuming you've sought help through all of the available resources? Butler County has an aggregator of non-profit resources called CCR, Center for Community Resources. Perhaps Lawerence County has the same?

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
So sorry to hear of the troubles. I know you love Marky so much. I'm assuming you've sought help through all of the available resources? Butler County has an aggregator of non-profit resources called CCR, Center for Community Resources. Perhaps Lawerence County has the same?
I'm going to call his case worker at Human Services today to see if there is anything like that.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Because you’ve posted about the incident here, it should be pointed out, however reluctantly, that countless situations involving violent, mentally disturbed individuals have ended in tragedy because wishful thinking kept them from being taken seriously enough.

Hoping for the best for everyone.

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Keep searching for the right help for Marky. An outburst like the one you controlled could have gone terribly wrong if another person were put in your place.

I will say prayers for you and the whole family.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Scientific Beer Geek
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

Does he take any medication to help with his condition? My good friend's son is also Autistic and they work closely with his doctor to try different medications that help reduce his symptoms. They actually found out a blood pressure medicine was very helpful in giving him better control and focus.

Talk to a medical professional if possible. There may be something non-mental health that might lessen or better control his symptoms.

Best Regards and prayers for your son and family,

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2079 | Location: Philadelphia Suburbs | Registered: August 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
Hi Mark,

Does he take any medication to help with his condition? My good friend's son is also Autistic and they work closely with his doctor to try different medications that help reduce his symptoms. They actually found out a blood pressure medicine was very helpful in giving him better control and focus.

Talk to a medical professional if possible. There may be something non-mental health that might lessen or better control his symptoms.

Mike

Sounds like he's taking clonidine. This old-time BP med is also used to treat ADHD.

Mark, please also talk to his docs to review all the meds to see if any one of them could be a contributing factor for Marky's outburst, so it could be relieved/reversed. Don't know how long Marky has had this kind of outbursts, but this is the first time I read from you about the gravity of the situation, and I'm shocked.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
You have mail.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HKg3:
Hi Mark,

Mike

He has a kidney disease (MPGN type 3) he's on Cellcept and prednisone for that. The kidney disease causes high blood pressure and he is on 5 medications to control that.

If imagine the prednisone is the culprit but it's saving his life.

He's on no "mood enhancers" or other psychiatric medication.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PaPaP226:
Mark i know nothing about autism but hope and pray for marky you and your family.

also this

i wish you and your family the best as you get it sorted out

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Mark, here is what my friend had to say:

My son has been like Markie in the past. Police ya e been to my house and my wife has been assaulted by him as well. 1. If the man is able, try to get Markie off of all psychotropic medications. 2. Begin introducing CBD supplements. Either oral or transdermal. 3. Councilors play a critical part in helping the person deal with their feelings.
Since ending psychotropic meds and doing CBD (2 years) the physical outbursts have diminished and now the verbal as well. My son, Thomas, now asks for a “break” and goes for a walk. Usually when he returns, he’s calm and apologetic.
I also recommend learning some holds that do not injure the person but render them unable to harm themselves or others. I’ve been partial to the “basket weave” technique. I’ve only used it twice since learning it. Good luck! Godspeed!

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark123,
I empathise with your situation.
My youngest brother has autism and cerebral palsy. Occasionally he will go off on a loud verbal rant about something he believes was meant to hurt him. Violence hasn't surfaced yet.
I believe that Beancooker is on the right track with CBC oil. I have read where that can be beneficial to some people. Also, some prescribed meds can actually make things worse.

I hope things work out for you and the family.

At least you are working towards a solution.
I see far too many parents who will not accept the fact that there child has cognitive issues. That leads the child to feel alienated not only from piers but the family as well. Because whatever they do seems to turn out to be something other than normal. Acting on violent impulses crosses the mind of the best of us from time to time I'm sure. And feeling like there is no solution makes it that much easier to take that next step.

edited to add: I tried to message you to say this, but I can't seem to find how to message members.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're probably right about the prednisone. The only person to take a swing at me in the office in 40 years was on prednisone, ~100 mg /day. Normaly a gentle person, just took exception to something I said. Luckily, he was 80 and my reflexes were quick.

Luckily for Marky you were there, not a stranger. You've already gotten better advice from others than I can offer, but you have my best wishes for all of you.

Light bender eye mender

Posts: 412 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: July 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
His work called me. They have to make a report to Adult Protective Services concerning his black eye.

posted Hide Post
And now the fun begins.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post