SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's been the year of rejection so far, edited: laid off today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's been the year of rejection so far, edited: laid off today Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OP,

Go do a ride along with the department.

Keep doing it as often as you can and they maybe will associate your name with the face who keeps doing these ridealongs....

Sometimes it's all in being known over the other 100+ applicants...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
The Orlando Police Department is a progressive, accredited agency that continually seeks the most qualified officer candidates available.

That sentence says it all. Being progressive these days usually means selecting the most non-competent and non-qualified candidates possible based on hiring criteria that have nothing to do with the job (e.g. skin color). After reading that I'd breathe a sigh of relief, not be downtrodden that they passed on your candidacy.

Keep up the fight and You Will Succeed.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I would consider re-doing your resume. Perhaps it is not taylored well to the job you're looking for. But sometimes things just don't work out for a reason.

Jimmy,

The resume wasn't a factor in the LE job search, it wasn't even asked for.

But it will become a factor. I'm working now, it pays the bills but there is little upward mobility here, little upward financial mobility, too. We certainly want to buy a house in an area with better schools (not Orange County, FL) Big Grin

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pingman274:
The only thing I would add is that it helps a ton to have someone inside the target organization refer you to the hiring manager. As someone who hires some internal and external folks, I can tell you the vast majority of resumes simply never see the light of day. I get so many bullshit responses to openings that a personal recommendation from anyone rockets to the top of the pile.

Take heart, I was a UNC undergrad and was rejected by UNC MBA and Medical Schools. Have you looked into UNCG or other smaller schools? Chapel Hill is a tough nut to crack no matter what.

I have started connecting more with my LinkedIn. One thing I have failed to do since arriving in Orlando is networking. It's something that I typically did pretty well in the other places that I've been. It was something that I just didn't prioritize but I have since started updating my information on there, put a profile picture on there and connected with old contacts and made new contacts.

This is the e-mail they sent me:
quote:
Your application for admission to UNC’s Kenan-Flagler Business School for the July 2017 cohort has been carefully reviewed by the Admissions Committee.   We received applications from many candidates and we regret that we cannot offer you admission.

Many factors are considered in determining who is offered admission. These factors include quality of work experience, demonstrated leadership skills, special aptitudes, academic background and achievement and potential contribution to the diversity of the class. An offer of admission is extended to the most competitive candidates in our applicant pool.

The bolded last part is what really gets me.

What the fuck type of criteria is that? My interpretation of that is that they're not looking for Asian males. They want blacks and Hispanics, if they can get a black/Hispanic woman, that's two box checks right there.

I really wanted to get into that program. It was highly regarded.

I have a close friend from grade school, she is a university professor who I go to for academic guidance. She writes me recommendations, she is my go to for advice. She said that rejection is a part of the game. She did believe she was at an advantage for being accepted for her Masters and PhD though because she did all 3 at the same school. And now she teaches at that school. She believed knowing people inside helped get her into those programs and also hired.

She also said she's been rejected from numerous jobs even with a PhD.

I finished undergrad 11 years ago. Her recommendation was to do a few classes to establish a more recent academic record, do well in those classes and ask if those instructors would be able to write recommendations for MBA programs I apply to. There are various certificates, one class, that major universities offer to veterans for free so that is a route I could take. They're not fancy, something like Project Management or Human Resources, but it's a start.

Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Okay.... I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but something is wrong somewhere.
You may want to start checking around, and seeing if someone has used your identity, that you don't know about.
Also check your references, and actually run your own background check.

Normally, with something like this, and so many rejections, someone or Some Thing is giving you a bad reference

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:
Okay.... I'm not trying to be an asshole here, but something is wrong somewhere.
You may want to start checking around, and seeing if someone has used your identity, that you don't know about.

Normally, with something like this, and so many rejections, someone or Some Thing is giving you a bad reference

I suppose it's possible but I have checked with all my references. I asked them if I could use them before I put their names down.

One thing that I looked back on and believe I can improve are my graduate school essays. I don't think I sold myself enough on them.

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
That is true, think about it. I read through your post and am unclear as to what you want to do for a living. Please clarify for me, and I may be able to help.

At first I was trying to get into LE but that ship has sailed for me.

My experience in the military has mostly been in operations and training. That's what I would like to get into. I enjoy the challenges of operations.

If you have any leads in the Central Florida area, please let me know.

posted Hide Post
No contacts in that area. Can you be more specific about your military experience and what you are looking for in terms of operations? As you probably know military experience counts for federal jobs in terms of preference points. Trump has put a freeze on some stuff, but open lots of others in other areas.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn, I'm so sorry to hear about the lay off. What a pisser.

Do your best to stay positive, I know that crap has to be frustrating.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Anything on social media that could be hurtful? True or not, it can really have a huge impact on your chances.

Posts: 3851 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sig Forum Smart-Ass
Picture of Rotndad
posted Hide Post
quote:

Make sure you check your credit score with all three credit reporting companies (Equifax, Transunion and Experian) too. Many people either forget or don't know to check their credit score. As you probably know many places check credit. Your credit score can vary from company to company. Years ago a friend of mine was turned down for a job that he should've been a shoe in for. He later found out that somebody had stolen his identity and open several fraudulent accounts and ran his score into the shitter. It took him some time to get it straightened out. He already had a home, a car and credit cards. Since he already had all that he hadn't had his credit run by anyone and hadn't thought of it for quite some time.

Dripping water hollows out stone, not through force, but through persistence.
-Ovid

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Posts: 10192 | Location: Land O Lakes, FLA | Registered: June 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
....actually run your own background check.

I personally wouldn't have the first idea of where to start on that. You can probably find a bunch on a blind search that aren't such a good idea. Who would you recommend for this?

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I don't get it. I thought LE agencies were crying for applicants?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Have you spoken with Chongo? They were doing massive hiring just a month or two ago. He said pretty much anyone with a heart beat could get in if they applied.

--

Sorry to hear about the layoff, what a kick in the nuts. Best of luck to you.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whatever you are doing isn't working. Have you tried a junior officer headhunter? Did you complete command before getting out? If so, there are plenty of middle management jobs out there.

Posts: 2017 | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

Have you spoken with Chongo?

It's not me who's looking.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was agreeing with you that I thought most agencies were looking and that one of our members had put out word they need people desperately.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I am awaiting this book and suggest you get a copy!

https://www.amazon.com/Make-Yo...Things/dp/1455570249

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8356 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was agreeing with you that I thought most agencies were looking and that one of our members had put out word they need people desperately.

Yep. Situation stands.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I would consider re-doing your resume. Perhaps it is not taylored well to the job you're looking for.
Yes, at the very least proofread it, especially for spelling errors.

Razz

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post