SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It's been the year of rejection so far, edited: laid off today
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It's been the year of rejection so far, edited: laid off today Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
As of May 26:

Business has been slow so I just got laid off from my job. Can it get any worse? LOL.

Original post from May 25:

Been rejected from:

Orange County Sheriff. That was a long rant in the Lounge here.

Orlando PD. No explanation given. Only thing I did was apply. Got an e-mail saying I'm not longer in the process. They said:

quote:
The Orlando Police Department is a progressive, accredited agency that continually seeks the most qualified officer candidates available. The hiring process is very competitive as we receive thousands of applications each year. Since only a small percentage of applicants who apply actually get hired, the competition for employment is tremendous.

At this time, we determined you have not been selected to further the process with our agency for the position of Police Officer. You can reapply with us in six months.

No big deal, told my wife that if these didn't pan through then I was giving up on LE.

Then I get rejected for two MBA programs: Syracuse University and University of North Carolina.

Have one application submitted at American University for their MBA and an application I'm still working on at Simmons College for Healthcare MBA.

Guess I can't complain too much, I do have a job, wife and kid still love me. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Edmond,

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chp37
posted Hide Post
If you decide to try one more time, you may consider Flagler County. Recently elected Sheriff Rick Staly is seeking approval to add 15 deputies.

Posts: 586 | Registered: October 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it makes you feel any better, I just got a rejection phone call for an interview I went to last night. Probably for the best, given where county budgets are heading. Not a LE position, but much closer to home for me, so it still sucks.

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was speaking with a noted surgeon at Duke Univ. once.

He was rejected from their Med school. A few years later rejected from their Residency Program.

15 or so years later he was hired as the Chief of their Dept. Cool

Keep trying and don't let it get you down. Rejection means you are striving which is a good thing.

Good luck-

----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Keep trying and don't let it get you down. Rejection means you are striving which is a good thing.

Good luck

You never know what the next opportunity may bring. I was laid off in 2014 after 14 years with a company I know rejection and worse not even being considered.

2 1/2 years later I'm better off from where I was then or where I could have gone if I stayed.

Good Luck

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Applied to dozens of fire departments before I finally got hired somewhere. Then got even more serious and finally got hired by a big city department. You have to remember that there are thousands of other people applying for the same position, sometimes only a few spots. I say stay at it, you definitely won't be handing out any wooden shampoos if you stop applying....

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:

Guess I can't complain too much, I do have a job, wife and kid still love me. Big Grin

Seriously, that's the truth.

Keep plugging away in any case, not particularly LE if you figure out that's not for you, but just keep plugging away.

I think you'll end up being glad for the closed doors just as much as for the open doors. It's a cliche that I found to be true.

Don't lose hope. I know how depressing that can be.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Been rejected from:

Orange County Sheriff. That was a long rant in the Lounge here.

Orlando PD. No explanation given. Only thing I did was apply. Got an e-mail saying I'm not longer in the process. They said:

quote:
The Orlando Police Department is a progressive, accredited agency that continually seeks the most qualified officer candidates available. The hiring process is very competitive as we receive thousands of applications each year. Since only a small percentage of applicants who apply actually get hired, the competition for employment is tremendous.

At this time, we determined you have not been selected to further the process with our agency for the position of Police Officer. You can reapply with us in six months.

No big deal, told my wife that if these didn't pan through then I was giving up on LE.

Then I get rejected for two MBA programs: Syracuse University and University of North Carolina.

Have one application submitted at American University for their MBA and an application I'm still working on at Simmons College for Healthcare MBA.

Contact Police Applicant Screening Service over in Pinellas County. They screen for multiple agencies in the county. Your college will be an advantage

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
My wife use to joke with me that rejection was my middle name at certain times in my life. Count your blessings, it will work out for you in the end. It did for me in an odd way. Good luck to you sir.

Posts: 5300 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Received rejections letters from 3 law schools when I applied. Finally got accepted to one, passed the bar with flying colors 3 years later.

Never give up on something that you want.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would consider re-doing your resume. Perhaps it is not taylored well to the job you're looking for. But sometimes things just don't work out for a reason.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally spoken by Thomas A. Edison:
I have not failed. I've just found 10000 ways that won't work.

Be happy you aren't trying to invent the light bulb... Smile

You're a highly skilled guy with a ton to offer. Keep your head up. You aren't the problem.

I once applied / submitted my resume / filled out the online bullshit and otherwise worked with multiple recruiters for more than 200 IT jobs in one summer, 2-fucking-hundred, years ago mind you, which took hours upon hours of my time and effort and hopes and doubts, 90% of which I was absolutely qualified for, some I was overqualified for, and any of which I would like to have had as I was trying to move to the area, and brother - by the 50th and 100th fucking one I was so unbelievably sick of it all I could scream... the repetition, entering the same shit over and over and over, first round interviews, the stupid websites and online forms, the lack of feedback, it's maddening at times. Fast forward a few months - a better opportunity all but fell in my lap and all was well.

Some spots are so competitive that 90% of the resumes never even get more than 1min of consideration, if that. And having been a hiring manager myself in similar situations, I can tell you it happens for all manner of reasons - good and bad. At times I was compelled by my employers to open up X-positions, gather 10X the necessary resumes from various sources, and start at the top of the stack until I found what I needed. Sometimes I found it in the first ten resumes, and I never even read the other 60, other times I read 100 of them, called ten in for interviews, picked two, and didn't hire either because I had to take a lateral transfer from someone I didn't even know was interested, and so on. Who knows what's happening in your case, but IME it has squat to do with you 80+% of the time.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Stay strong and keep pitching.
Every "no" brings you closer to a "yes".

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
When I was applying for a Judicial Externship my first summer of law school, I sent 130 applications out. Flat mailing envelopes, linen paper, writing samples, and individually addressed cover letters and resumes. I got 129 rejections at various stages of the application process. But it really doesn't matter how many rejections you get, you only really need the one job offer.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I think I hold the record for applying for jobs and never hearing back, or for getting interviews and not getting hired/promoted. Finally quit trying, decided to be happy where I was, and now am retired and happy to be out of the rat race. Don't worry, things will work out.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolffy88
posted Hide Post
I applied for over 200 jobs before getting the one I have now. It's the best job I've ever had, and they have offered me a higher position simply because of my work ethic and skills, I didn't have to apply and they aren't taking applications.
Stay persistent in your dreams, cause you only have one life to live them.

-wolff

"In the absence of light, darkness prevails." - Professor Bruttenholm

Posts: 2103 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolffy88:
I applied for over 200 jobs before getting the one I have now. It's the best job I've ever had, and they have offered me a higher position simply because of my work ethic and skills, I didn't have to apply and they aren't taking applications.
Stay persistent in your dreams, cause you only have one life to live them.

The only thing I would add is that it helps a ton to have someone inside the target organization refer you to the hiring manager. As someone who hires some internal and external folks, I can tell you the vast majority of resumes simply never see the light of day. I get so many bullshit responses to openings that a personal recommendation from anyone rockets to the top of the pile.

Take heart, I was a UNC undergrad and was rejected by UNC MBA and Medical Schools. Have you looked into UNCG or other smaller schools? Chapel Hill is a tough nut to crack no matter what.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I can't complain too much, I do have a job, wife and kid still love me.[/quote]

That is true, think about it. I read through your post and am unclear as to what you want to do for a living. Please clarify for me, and I may be able to help.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Michael Jordan says on a regular basis that he missed way more shots than he made.

keep being open and keep trying

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Was speaking with a noted surgeon at Duke Univ. once.

He was rejected from their Med school. A few years later rejected from their Residency Program.

15 or so years later he was hired as the Chief of their Dept. Cool

Good luck-

----------------------------------------

Wow. He managed to get there in only 15 years? That's amazing, to go from medical school reject to chief of the department in 15 years.

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post