SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Local CO coffee company "gentrifying" neighborhood, puts up sign... gets hammered on twitter then gets vandalized with "white coffee" graffiti
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local CO coffee company "gentrifying" neighborhood, puts up sign... gets hammered on twitter then gets vandalized with "white coffee" graffiti Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
So CO is turning into another California/Washington State. We have eclectic coffee shops popping up here.

Well, the Five Points area has typically been a generally high crime area and tended to be populated by more ethnic minorities. There are supposed to be some good jazz clubs where nationally know jazz artists have performed, but mostly, it's known for high crime/drug use in the 1990s thru the 2000s.

Lately, there has been a rash of hip/new buildings, condos and stores popping up.

So, ink Coffee put up a sign saying "Happily Gentrifying the neighborhood since 2014".

That didn't go over too well with some historic residents.

Original story posted yesterday I think:
Ink! Coffee's bragging about gentrifying Five Points turns bitter on Twitter

Updated story posted today:
ink! Coffee shop vandalized a day after joking about gentrification in Five Points neighborhood

Interesting...

James in Denver

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Bragging about gentrification almost never goes over well unless it's already 100% over. The locals who keep getting pushed out to make way for (insert whatever) are no real fans, whether they're just old ladies who've lived there for years or teens or anyone else.

I've been one of the gentrifiers, myself, having lived in swanky lofts (where old houses and such used to be) and run or visited these newer downtown businesses in more than one city and/or having worked in such places, often skateboarding around like I own the place.

It's a balance for sure, progress in some ways, sad in others, no one likes to lose their home

It was probably meant to be harmless, but I consider it a poor choice in signs/slogans.

In any case...

I've been in and around Five Points countless times for shows/events/restaurants/etc in the last decade or so, often at night, and have never had a single issue with anyone there.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post