SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Airbag rear spring helpers or rubber rear spring inserts? To prevent rearend squat at full load.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airbag rear spring helpers or rubber rear spring inserts? To prevent rearend squat at full load. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Think I'll give the airbags a try as they are cheap and easy plus all the reviews I have read are good.

As for the onboard compressor, I will not have a dedicated automatic compressor installed as most of the time I won't be loaded.
It is a low pressure system so I will just use the tire compressor I have in the van already. This system is designed for the airline fill valve to be in the jack storage area where I store my pump and thief is a power outlet there.

There is a big long debate on Sienna chat on the 1 line and 2 lines theories and scientifically they both go way over my head in details but both seem to have merit. The install calls for 1 airline so I will likely go that route. If I planned on maxing out the psi then 2 would make more sense.

I also got to thinking about the tow package. It would appear, though I have to get in and verify but I am pretty sure on 2014s and above all Sienna's are equipped with the tow prep package with in lures transmission cooler, heavy duty radiator, fan, and coupler, just not a hitch and wiring.

When I bought the van searched for ones with hitches and they were very few and far between.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
There should be a section in the owner's manual dealing with the cargo carrying capacity.

Remember all people are cargo too-

I got the capacity info from the Sienna forum, Edmunds.com, Toyota, and kbb.com

If you find the numbers in your book, use the guidelines the same way. Capacity- added permanent weight - added temporary stuff like hitch hauler, trailer tongue weight, roof carrier - people - cargo must total a number greater than or equal to zero.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I put helper springs on my 68 Chrysler Newport for hauling bigger loads. I went to a Spring Manufacturer in Alexander and he recommended the helper springs versus making new replacement springs.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/hellw...rid=d1699y2014g587j1

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have air bags on a couple rigs. I also had the Tenbring rubber stoppers. They worked really good also. And about half the price. That would be my choice on this vehicle.
The recommendation on air shocks is a good one also.

I would also pay attention to the vehicle payload specs.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19155 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
If you have every driven a vehicle with an overloaded rear on slippery roads you know how much fun it can be. My xterra was very lightly sprung so I added both timbrens and air bags. The worked until I could afford the OME HD rear springs. I still might add an additional leaf as I have a tendency to load it up.

I think I used Firestone brand, pretty easy to install and never had an issue.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Clean the kids shit outta the back.

Get better wheels.

Grow a pair and ditch it.

Have I missed any themes????
Razz
quote:
4 adults, 3 kids, and all the stuff to go along with it.

In all seriousness, this alone is a sign of the limits to such a vehicle. A quick glance indicates the max payload is ~1300#. Even assuming the adults are 175 on average, kids 80, that's only about 300# of stuff. Granted once you have that van full of people there won't be much room for stuff, but putting it on the roof on a tail rack doesn't make the weight zero, and you'll blow by that easily. Maybe sooner if you've got a big-boy going!

It's not a 3/4 ton Yukon, but it looks like you keep loading it up like it is.

Also, it seems I've seen instances of these being used for wheelchair vans maybe? If so, I'd contact a builder of those for ideas on what works for them and all the weight they add.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cigar Nerd
Picture of Jaywendland1981
posted Hide Post
The wheelchair vans use the airbags that i have installed and replaced a bunch of. A stiffer factory spring would be ideal but I dont think he will have much luck finding those.

There will be whores, tits and sex.

Posts: 4305 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: January 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
If you are driving beyond the design capacity, make sure you have tires rated for the load and properly inflated.
At some point this is a safety concern too.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go with the air bags with on board compressor. If you plumb the lines right you can use the compressor to pump up tires, mattresses, and toys.

Posts: 245 | Location: Ventura, California | Registered: August 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
If you are driving beyond the design capacity, make sure you have tires rated for the load and properly inflated.
At some point this is a safety concern too.

This is a great point, and in this example "properly inflated" has almost nothing to do with the door label. You need to be looking at something close to max pressure and load on the sidewall.

Interestingly, on the ML350 we just got (NOT a minivan! Razz) the sticker actually lists two pressures. One for normal use, other for max load. I think every SUV/crossover/gayvan should do that in hopes folks don't overlook the issue. Or at least help reduce the chances.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Squatting does not always equate overloading.
That picture is taken with 22 13 lb stones loaded in the rear.
No one in the vehicle. No where near the load capacity.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25405 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
^^that's leverage my man...them stones are behind your rear axle, levering the front up and the arse down. Vans are people movers first- designed for mid loading. The big cargo vans axles are further back usually in relation to rear bumper- which is why they make good tow vehicles. Pickups have a rake to them so they don't squat with a slight load. Also why 5th wheels on heavy tractors slide and the rear tandems of most heavy trailers slide as well- to keep the axle weights within lawful and safe limits.

That same 250 pounds (plus or minus) loaded amidships would not cause squat, due to placement where the load is designed to be centered and carried in all vehicles, not just yours.

Also, someone above mentioned inflating tires to max rating as they also have load limitations- if you replace your sweet rims you already have, make sure the replacements are rated for whatever load you think you can safely carry, plus 10+%. They also sometimes have air pressure limitations too.

You don't drive this, it's a 266HP minivan. If you want it to be safe and last, please don't try to rewrite physics.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Another reason I love this forum. I have air bags in my front coils to offset the weight of the Warn bumper and Warn 8274 winch.

I noticed last month that neither were holding air, they've been on the truck for more than 10 years so no complaints.

Now I found a new set to put in.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post