SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer vs phone...is it me or computers becoming more obsolete for casual use
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer vs phone...is it me or computers becoming more obsolete for casual use Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I still regularly use my desktop computer, and laptop at home. As other geezers like me, I like the full size keyboard, larger screens, etc. especially for storing and working with my photo's. I am also using my IPhone 7+ more often when out and about, mainly for internet use.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I use a phone for a lot of things but I cannot imagine doing Photoshop editing at pixel level, video editing by frame

100% onboard with Rinehart on this. I can't even imagine editing and RAW processing on a phone. I have an iPhone x and while it does have photo editing apps they would never compare to the detail of using my editing program with the MacBook retina. I do use my phone for just about most things happily but for the processing and editing, I'll stick with the MacBook.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I can't stand the mobile keyboard for extended use. It's something about spreading muscle fatigue that would be focused on the muscles in my thumb across the whole hand. Much more comfortable (not to mention much faster) to type with all 10 fingers.

This isn't even taking my extensive Photoshop use into account, either.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I'm retired and do everything on a desktop except when I'm out and need to check something or kill time.

I think many millenials only have a phone plan and aren't even paying an ISP (internet service provider).

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Bought iPad Pro 12.9 today.

New iOS is supposed to make it very competive vs computer. This is the trend.

And I also am going to go with an otter box case and Bluetooth for security of the device and Apple Bluetooth keyboard and forgoing the Apple keyboard which attaches physically.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
For years I had a nice "computer" room with two work stations.
I spent a lot of money keeping fairly current models of both a Windows PC and a Mac.
Now the room is full of junk, and I sit in my recliner in the TV room with a 7 year old MacBook Pro or just use my iPhone.

My two adult Girls, with 4 kids between them, have 3 iPads and 5 iPhones but no computers.

Global sales seem to be on a years long decline, probably driven largely by a decline in home use. Mac computers do buck that trend, but only slightly.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted Hide Post
You may not believe it, but I remember when computers were a new thing and totally revolutionary. i can't say exactly what I was doing, but the computer we used filled an entire building. Big ass suction fans coming in the room and anti static mats all over the place. You can probably do a thousand times more with your iphone now than you could with those gigantic beasts.

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
I think many millenials only have a phone plan and aren't even paying an ISP (internet service provider).

This one. I once found a girls cellphone. I emailed her but she didn't respond so I called one of her friends. Turns out her phone was her computer and email etc. She didn't have any other access- no PC, laptop or internet connection. Just the phone.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I have a desktop in my man cave office as well as an iPad and a iPhone. Although the i devices are very capable, I'm not getting rid of my desktop anytime soon. Everything is easier on a powerful desktop (or LT) and the large screen is a pleasure.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I've gone the opposite - I've ditched my smartphone for a flip phone

I have a flip phone, and a desk top.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
For casual use, for me, absolutely. Even semi serious use.

The only things I use my laptop for is school, some odd websites that don’t work on mobile or need a lot of data entry and the random thing that doesn’t format/print correctly from the iPad.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Can't watch Blu-Ray & DVD movies on a cell phone. Sure I could download them, etc, etc, but I already have them on disc. There is something about having a physical item in my hand. I also have the factory shop manual to all of my cars on DVD-ROM. If it doesn't have a disc drive, it is no good to me.

There is the added plus of a 27" display. I don't think they sell a 27" iPad.

The latest thing I bought was a turntable. Suppose the 20th century is still calling my name.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
Can't stand doing things on my phone. Give me my PC with the 28" 4k monitor every day.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I travel fairly frequently. I used to ALWAYS bring my laptop with me on trips. There are a few things that the laptop really excels at like using QuickBooks for my business. But for everything else, my phone and ipad mini do everything I need to do to the fact that I only bring my laptop on trips once in a long while.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

And I also am going to go with an otter box case and Bluetooth for security of the device and Apple Bluetooth keyboard and forgoing the Apple keyboard which attaches physically.

I have the Ipad pro 12.9". Yes, it is very versatile. BUT, it lacks a ton of storage space that a pc has, it lacks an external drive, and it is heavy and kind of cumbersome to hold on your lap and type. But it is great for watching movies and Netflix if set on a table (my case has an easel) as it has killer graphics.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by x0225095:

I have the Ipad pro 12.9". Yes, it is very versatile. BUT, it lacks a ton of storage space that a pc has, it lacks an external drive, and it is heavy and kind of cumbersome to hold on your lap and type. But it is great for watching movies and Netflix if set on a table (my case has an easel) as it has killer graphics.

Yes. I’m with you. Traded in an old iPad 2 on this one. Also have a couple of older iMacs upstairs. We’ll see how life goes with the iPad Pro. Eagerly awaiting the the new iOS to drop this fall. Then may trade the iMacs in on a MacBook Pro 15”....or not.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
Computers with screens only (i.e. tablets) are a symptom of what is wrong with this country, and maybe globalized technophilic society in general.

Hear me out on this one:

Do you want to be a producer or obligate consumer?

If you all you do is consume, then a tablet is fine, because that's all you need to have in order to receive/read/watch what other people want you to have.

On the other hand, if you want to produce, you need more than what you would otherwise have to have in order to consume. And if you can produce, you control what other people get to read, see, consume. You control the viewpoint through which they perceive their surroundings through that little 2.5x5" window-on-the-world.

Who is more powerful, the one who can only see what others want him to see, or the one who controls what is seen?

In short: those with keyboards will those rule those without keyboards.

Preach it brother.

Smartphones are consumer devices, not a professional one. One is a toy, the other a full-function tool. Multitrack music recording, photo editing, elaborate Powerpoint presentations, video editing, spreadsheets, complicated Word docs, etc. etc. Can't be done on a smartphone.

Smartphones are a necessary evil in my eyes, I have much disdain for them. A good laptop is an entirely different story.

If more people were on laptops working and creating instead of dealing with phones, the world would be a better place.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a desktop with a 27" wide-screen monitor and a full-sized tactile keyboard and a 17" laptop with a full-sized keyboard. You will not find me abandoning either of them for a "smart" phone. I'm a "touch typist" and will not forego the convenience and speed of a QWERTY keyboard that the keys actually moves when struck (and click), and I want a display that I can see easily. For emergency calls I do have a big-button flip phone (with 5* button), but it's never even turned on unless I need to make a call. No one (even me) knows the number and I don't receive calls on it. (I don't even answer land-line phone calls if I don't know the name or number calling.) Anyone who really wants my attention knows to use e-mail--I check it continually during the day and am never more than an hour or two late in seeing a message (unless I'm asleep, of course).

Call me a troglodyte or dinosaur, if you wish, or a Luddite, but I'm set in my ways and won't give up my big-screen computers!

At home I'm using the desktop machine; on trips I take the laptop, and use it to download my photos and GPS log data every day, and also write a Trip Log using Word. My travel schedule and contact notes are contained in an Excel spreadsheet I create before leaving home.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the computer much more than the smartphone.

The main reason I have a smartphone is to monitor weather radar when I am on the boat. Secondary use is photos.

But it seems like more applications are being written for smartphone users than Windows users. Sites like Breitbart just don't load well for me into my laptop.

I could easily give up the smartphone.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2180 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post