SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer vs phone...is it me or computers becoming more obsolete for casual use
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer vs phone...is it me or computers becoming more obsolete for casual use Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
I don’t know about you guys but I never use my computer anymore. I don’t think my home Mac has been even turned on in over a year. At work I used computers but I’m in healthcare and don’t bring home work with me. I use my phone for everything. I order stuff, pay bills, print stuff, fax and scan things from my phone, etc...

I recently talked to my older brother who runs his own multi-million dollar company strictly from his phone. He doesn’t even travel with a computer. If he needs a legal document drafted he just has one of his employees do it but he doesn’t touch a computer. It just amazes me how something I used to use everyday for hours is now relegated to collecting dust thanks to a little hand held device. My iPad Pro hasn’t been turned on in a year either.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I like my computer with the BIG screen. I just miss things on the phone.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I don’t know about you guys but I never use my computer anymore. I don’t think my home Mac has been even turned on in over a year. At work I used computers but I’m in healthcare and don’t bring home work with me. I use my phone for everything. I order stuff, pay bills, print stuff, fax and scan things from my phone, etc...

I recently talked to my older brother who runs his own multi-million dollar company strictly from his phone. He doesn’t even travel with a computer. If he needs a legal document drafted he just has one of his employees do it but he doesn’t touch a computer. It just amazes me how something I used to use everyday for hours is now relegated to collecting dust thanks to a little hand held device. My iPad Pro hasn’t been turned on in a year either.

In for the iPad Pro karma Big Grin

Yes, and the price is beginning to reflect what you bring up. A top end smart phone with ample memory costs every bit as much as a decent PC or lap top.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
When they make a phone with a 12 inch screen, I am so dumping my computer.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
After being hit with Guillain Barre Syndrome, my fingers are somewhat numb and certainly not very nimble, so a real keyboard is much easier for me to use than tapping on a tiny virtual keyboard on a phone.

My 81 year old eyes like a larger screen, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I was a confirmed Luddite for YEARS, resisted having a cell phone. When it became pretty much inevitable, I held on to a basic "call people" flip phone for several years.

When THAT became essentially obsolete, I caved and bought a very basic smart phone, a Samsung J3, under $200 new.

I LOVE it for texting, GPS, vehicle record keeping and a couple of other apps I use regularly. It's OK for actual phone calls, depending on the service available. Eastern Maine is still a bit behind the curve on coverage.

Surfing the net? Not so much. Too small, too hard to see, nearly impossible to tap on the link you actually want vs. everything else on the screen. I do use it when I'm terminally bored while waiting on an appointment, but that's it. Much rather sit at my desk with a full sized keyboard, a mouse and a monitor that I can see at a distance over a foot.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope.

I use my MacBook and iMac every single day.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

They make an iPad Pro

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
I work enough on my phone that when I get home it is a relief to get on my full size computer.

I just retired my MAC workstation after 15 years and bought a new Alienware that I expect to last for at least 10 years if not longer. Glad to be fully back in the windows (and Android) world. The MAC was the last piece of iCrap we had in the house...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Casual users, I can see that moving to phone / tablet only.

I still uses all 3 - computer for serious work (proposals, reports, etc), iPad for mobile work during the day, and phone for communications.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Computers with screens only (i.e. tablets) are a symptom of what is wrong with this country, and maybe globalized technophilic society in general.

Hear me out on this one:

Do you want to be a producer or obligate consumer?

If you all you do is consume, then a tablet is fine, because that's all you need to have in order to receive/read/watch what other people want you to have.

On the other hand, if you want to produce, you need more than what you would otherwise have to have in order to consume. And if you can produce, you control what other people get to read, see, consume. You control the viewpoint through which they perceive their surroundings through that little 2.5x5" window-on-the-world.

Who is more powerful, the one who can only see what others want him to see, or the one who controls what is seen?

In short: those with keyboards will those rule those without keyboards.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I've gone the opposite - I've ditched my smartphone for a flip phone w. tethering and HD voice - and just carry around my laptop more.

Anything I do on a smartphone, is more efficiently done on a laptop - its been a big improvement on my productivity.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
As a data point on the opposite extreme, I could lose my phone forever, and not miss it. In fact, the only real reason I carry it is to make a call in an emergency, I couldn't care less about people calling me. I rarely pick up on incoming calls when they do, let them leave a message if it's too gol' darn important to email. I get my voice mail messages as email audio attachments, BTW.

I remember seeing a guy at the Long Beach airport circa 1985 talking on one of the first cell phone "bricks." I remember thinking, "who the hell would ever want to do something like that? What a self-involved prick!" The only difference then to now is that cell phones have shrunk, and there are a lot more of them.

Computers? Couldn't do without them.

Posts: 6398 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

They make an iPad Pro

It won't fit in my pocket. And where is the full size keyboard?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pad pro has the Smart Keyboard/case. I had one for a while but got tired of the protective glass breaking and replacing it so I went to a traditional case with a covered screen and a Bluetooth keyboard. Not nearly as convenient but I use my iPad as an electronic logbook in the big rig and carry it around so that Smart Cover case thing wasn’t near enough protection for my needs.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
I agree totally I haven’t turned my computer on in over two years LOL. I do everything on my phone as well.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I despise doing things on the phone. The bigger the screen the better for me.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I do a lot on my phone, it's indispensable - but when I'm home and want to really surf or order things, I use my laptop.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
What is this iPad Pro you speak of?

Have an iPad 2 that works by rubbing two sticks together. Redefines the expression "wencrawler".

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I switched from a laptop to iPad years ago for casual use. An iPad will NEVER replace my desktop, but for browsing, quick forum posts, or the like, I find my iPad, and most recently, my 6" OnePlus 5t more than adequate for the job.

Posted from my OnePlus 5t.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post