SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer vs phone...is it me or computers becoming more obsolete for casual use
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer vs phone...is it me or computers becoming more obsolete for casual use Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I use my phone for maybe 6% of its intended design and use. Pretty much just make phone calls, send texts, and might look something up every now and then. Screen is just too small and I enjoy a full-sized screen and full-sized keyboard. Who wants to watch a hockey game on a 5" (or smaller) screen? I carry an iPad 2, so that gets more extensive use in looking stuff up and checking e-mail when I'm not at my home computer. The one thing I WILL NOT do, however, is look at banking, financial, or personal stuff on the iPad or phone if I'm not on my home WiFi.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Can't watch Blu-Ray & DVD movies on a cell phone. Sure I could download them, etc, etc, but I already have them on disc. There is something about having a physical item in my hand. I also have the factory shop manual to all of my cars on DVD-ROM. If it doesn't have a disc drive, it is no good to me.

There is the added plus of a 27" display. I don't think they sell a 27" iPad.

The latest thing I bought was a turntable. Suppose the 20th century is still calling my name.

HDMI adapter and you can hook up your iPhone or iPad to any size big screen you feel sufficient.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roadkill:
quote:
Can't watch Blu-Ray & DVD movies on a cell phone. Sure I could download them, etc, etc, but I already have them on disc. There is something about having a physical item in my hand. I also have the factory shop manual to all of my cars on DVD-ROM. If it doesn't have a disc drive, it is no good to me.

The latest thing I bought was a turntable. Suppose the 20th century is still calling my name.

HDMI adapter and you can hook up your iPhone or iPad to any size big screen you feel sufficient.

Be aware though. I have the one for the IPAD to connect it to my TV. However, most TV streaming app's like Comcast to go, HBO to go, and Sony VUE won't allow you to play it from tablet to TV and an error message saying it can't be airplayed or something along those lines will come up.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Phones are for talking and texting only. I have an old flip phone that only costs $6.33 a month. The people that pay $100 or more a month for a smart phone plan are insane IMO. I will never own a smart phone.

I do use an iPad for casual internet browsing at home (on it now) but it stays home. I hate typing on it. A real keyboard is so nice to use, I miss it. We do have a computer but the mouse bothers my hand and it's not mobile (in my house) I can't take it with me to my gun room or sit in my chair at night in front of the tv and browse Sigforum. Computer only gets used to order and research things.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
quote:
Originally posted by roadkill:
quote:

Be aware though. I have the one for the IPAD to connect it to my TV. However, most TV streaming app's like Comcast to go, HBO to go, and Sony VUE won't allow you to play it from tablet to TV and an error message saying it can't be airplayed or something along those lines will come up.

And so it continues ....

Apple TV.

Problem solved.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
iPad. Use laptop for QB and some spreadsheets.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the desk top for large screens and a normal keyboard. I have nerve damage in my fingers and trying to read on a phone is a pain in the ass.

And dumbasses with their nose glued to their phone are a menace to society and a pain in the ass trying to deal with them. Smartphone use by me is limited to phone, text, Email, GPS, and weather radar w/ severe alerts only. Being legally deaf the text and Email is a better option for me anyway. Just keep it short please.

Posts: 465 | Location: Pell City, AL. U.S. | Registered: December 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Content creation vs content consumption.

If you never need to make anything, a phone or tablet is fine.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
I ditched the desktop & large monitor many years ago and am on my 3rd laptop. A laptop fills my needs for budgeting software and very limited photo editing (mostly cropping.) It's also very comfortable in my lap while Netflix or DVD serve as background noise. I don't see a situation in the future where I'd buy another full size computer.

My phone is for calls, texts, and email but not much more than that. The screen is just too small. A laptop & phone combo is perfect for me.

Dan

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I like my computer with the BIG screen. I just miss things on the phone.

Same here, 30" screen for mail and messages, full sized keyboard for typing text messages. I can understand the "on the move" types who need to rely on a phone, but for me, give me a desktop Mac. I use my phone rarely (an 8+), unless the message is urgent for a reply.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post