SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jury awards 4 cents to estate of black man killed by Florida deputy
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jury awards 4 cents to estate of black man killed by Florida deputy Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
What a bullshit lawsuit. Wish there was a loser pays rule. We'd see a lot less of these bullshit lawsuits.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
“I shouidn’t have to be afraid for my 9-year-old son every time I see an officer. It’s not IF he goes to jail or gets killed, it’s WHEN. We have to respect law enforcement, but they have to respect us, too.”

That is a VERY telling statement about how a mother is raising her son [without knowing who the father is?].

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Latest from the Mullet wrapper.

Peace rally planned after $4 verdict for slain man

Tess Sheets

Treasure Coast Newspapers USA TODAY NETWORK - FLORIDA

FORT PIERCE — City Commissioner Reggie Sessions was attending a Jacksonville conference on preventing crime in the black community when he got word a verdict had been reached in the wrongful death case of Gregory Hill Jr.

Sessions called the events “coincidental,” but the relevance prompted him to take action.

“Everything was happening at the same time,” Sessions said. “I decided that given the subject matter that I was there for, it was incumbent upon me to get back home and get something together in a few days to address the problem.”

A peace rally and march is set to take place Friday in Fort Pierce in solidarity with Hill’s family.

Hill, 30, was shot and killed by St. Lucie County Deputy Christopher Newman while he was responding to a complaint of loud music at Hill’s residence in January 2014. Hill’s family was awarded $4 May 2 4 in the lawsuit filed by Hill’s mother after the shooting: $1 for funeral expenses and $1 to each of Hill’s children.

Sheriff Ken Mascara was found negligent and 1 percent liable in the shooting, making the Sheriff’s Office liable for just 4 cents.

The verdict sparked national controversy.

The plan for Friday’s rally is to meet at Pinewood Park in Fort Pierce, across the street from the police station at 5:30 p.m. Friday. From there, the group will march to the courthouse and assemble for a ceremony and tribute to the man, Sessions said.

Hill’s family is expected to speak, and will be followed by a prayer and dedication.

Sessions hopes the event draws a crowd.

“I hope that we can have those people that have been voicing their opinion, those people that have been on Facebook and Twitter, those people that have been giving donations to the family,” Sessions said.

“I hope that they will realize the importance of their presence and sending a strong message in opposition of this injustice by showing up and being visible.”

Sessions will collect signatures on petition outlining the group’s dissatisfaction with the court’s ruling.

“It’s an opportunity for the public to be heard,” Sessions said.

Hill Jr.

Copyright © 2018 Journal Media Group