SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Malco Releases "Eagle Grip" Pliers April 19th
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Malco Releases "Eagle Grip" Pliers April 19th Login/Join 
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
I got a little excited as I thought your title said Maico. Maker of a a few great bikes from the 80's and 90's.

https://www.motorcyclespecs.co...%20Sand%20Spider.htm

Oh well.

In my little town in Missouri, kids used to hang out downtown by the railroad tracks. One night motocross bikes, sirens, and flashing lights disrupted the usual semi calm. A police car was chasing two dirt bikes along the railroad tracks about a block away. As they got near the meeting spot, the bikes were winning the race and showed off with wheelies. Then they went across a bridge and the pursuit was over. Their sound was off in the distance pretty quickly. One bike was a 400 Maico, they've been legendary to me since that night.

Posts: 7453 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Good old Vise Grips--the tool that rounded the heads off a billion bolts!

If you ever watch AvE (sarcastic Canadian amateur machinist and tool lover) on YouTube, he generally calls crescent wrenches (the adjustable jaw ones) "nut fuckers," or sometimes "Swedish nut lathes."

I find Vise Grips VERY useful for that really stuck thing you just have to get off, but you don't care how much you screw it up because it's already screwed up and you're going to throw it away and replace it.

For any-size-wrenches, the Knipex Pliers Wrench works amazingly well and will not round or even really mar nuts and bolts.

do you have a link to the machinist ? cant find it.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1059 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I'm a big believer in vise grips; lots of copies out there, but none nearly as good. Glad to hear that they're rising from the ash, because while there are a number of locking adjustable pliers, none are vise grips.

Vise grips, nee eagle grips now, aren't just for grabbing bolts. I use them for a shit-ton of projects and when something needs to be held together, or locked in place, or weight put at the end of a wire, or thousands of other uses, they're perfect.

In fact, as a rule, I don't grab bolts with them...because they damage bolts in many cases. But I do use them for a lot of other things, including clamping soft metal, when used with something to protect the metal.

I'd like to see a smooth jaw version.
I'm now using a pair to open stubborn beverage bottle caps. Lately I've had some that were impossible to open without assistance--even those plastic gripper gadgets aren't enough.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am about 90 min from Dewitt Ne. and knew a few folks that worked at the Vise Grip plant, it devastated the small town when they closed. When you enter the town there is a brick sign that says Dewitt Home of the Vise Grip.

I will be buying some of the new version pliers, as I will not buy Chinese tools if I can help it.

Posts: 418 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
My wife thinks a complete tool kit is a vise grip, a small tack hammer, and a maybe a screwdriver, although a knife can be a screwdriver in a pinch.

I have also heard a vise grips called a Mexican socket set, with all apologies to the many Mexicans who know how to use tools properly.

hah, very true!

My wife would add that a flat blade screwdriver is also a must have tool for preparing to paint!

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
....... although a knife can be a screwdriver in a pinch.

Dear God. Please never say that.

I don't approve, I am just describing her views. I have a very nice Henkels knife with no tip from a time she used it as an icepick. It is exhibit number one when she asks why she can't use any of my really good knives.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post