SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    a couple of seasoned SF members could use a hand in SD
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a couple of seasoned SF members could use a hand in SD Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Crazy I know. But me and bushpilot got a deal going and need a hand or a lifting device like a backhoe out in the middle of SD. Somewhere near Kennebec, Presho, Murdo, etc. It would be Sunday early afternoon. We need to transfer a 500lb hottub from one trailer to another. We cannot just slide it. It is going to have to be lifted somewhat at a minimum. We have determined that the way this has played out. This is noth'in a couple of SF guys can't handle Wink But just by chance if anyone is out that way and can lend a hand we would not turn it down.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
will there be pie?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clicked thinking SD = Self Defense. Might change title to be South Dakota, you'll draw in South Dakota folks that way who may not click a self defense link.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
My first thought was San Diego!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry

I can't make SD

What about finding a large tree to pull under
And use some slings and come alongs

Lift it up from one trailer back the other in
Drop it down

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a marina on the river in Chamberlain? They have lifts for putting engines on boats and boats on trailers. Sunday might be a problem.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
While I'm about two hours away to the west, health issues preclude my being able to help physically. And unfortunately I don't have any access to the kind of lift equipment that would prove useful.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I would be there to help, honest. It’s just I’m a. It too far away.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thx guys. Some good suggestions. We will get it one way or the other.

Thx bald1, I know you would if you could,

Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I know from years of visits that Presho has a mechanic that does work on planes/vehicles/ag equipment. I’d bet he’d have the ability to help transfer a load like that. Call Hutch’s (the gas station/restaurant/bar/hotel in Presho), they should be able to get you in touch with the mechanic across the street...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
You’re talking close to the prairie dog grounds. I do hope to be out that way in June. Any leads on dogging? I do have a few connections, just always looking at new options.

Good luck with the transfer. I was thinking ‘self defense’ at 1st.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
No trouble, you're welcome to use my forklift in GA! Big Grin.

Seriously, y'all be careful.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A tractor with a loader and perhaps bale forks might be better and easier to locate than a backhoe.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
A tractor with a loader and perhaps bale forks might be better and easier to locate than a backhoe.

Yeah, I'll bet you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an end loader or tractor with forks around there.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some tow trucks can do that kind of lift. If you call a service station just describe what you need done. They can tell you whether they think they can do it.

Machine shop or warehouse in the area? Both will have ways of lifting heavy objects. Some might do it for nothing if you can get the load there.

Farmer with forks for his tractor? Many tractors now have quick attach buckets that easily switch to other items. Forks are very popular for this.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check with and farmer co-ops. Should be run by down to earth people willing to help. If they can’t do it they might suggest a farmer with the right equipment that can.

God, Guns, and Guts made this country....let's keep all three

Posts: 495 | Location: TX | Registered: March 09, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
So old rugged cross, was the evolution a success?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Just to help out, the Sinclair station at exit 263 let us use his two post service lift and being two clever Sig Forum guys we made it work. ORC is a stand up guy and it was a pleasure to meet him.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Edit to add, we both will wind up with blisters on our butt from the 2,000 miles we each will drive but it was a good adventure

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Indeed it was. It was an honor to meet a great American and one of his son's. I mean that Roger.
Thank you and your son again.
I am truly humbled by what you did,
I cannot thank you enough.
One more leg to get home!
Thanks guys for some great suggestions.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bushpilot:
Just to help out, the Sinclair station at exit 263 let us use his two post service lift and being two clever Sig Forum guys we made it work. ORC is a stand up guy and it was a pleasure to meet him.

USN (RET), COTEP #192