SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can you get weed in the mail ?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you get weed in the mail ? Login/Join 
posted
In Washington and Colorado ?

May 11, 2017 at 8:01 am

IOWA CITY — An Iowa City man faces charges after five pounds of marijuana mailed to his home was intercepted by the United States Postal Service.

According to Iowa City police criminal complaints, on Wednesday, the postal service discovered a suspicious package that was to be shipped to 422 Church St. in Iowa City, the home of 20-year-old Brett C. Wilkins. The package was found to contain approximately five pounds of raw marijuana and more than 220 grams of marijuana wax.

Police said Wilkins called the Iowa City Post Office to ask about the status of his package, which was then delivered to his home. Police later served a search warrant at the residence, where Wilkins said the items in the package were his.

Wilkins was arrested and faces charges of possession of marijuana with intent to deliver and Iowa drug tax stamp violation, both Class D felonies; and keeping a drug house, an aggravated misdemeanor.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legally? No

Posts: 7016 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes. Apparantly.

And tickets to the Time Machine.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I would think weed in transit via USPS would come under federal jurisdiction, and is still illegal at that level.

Posts: 27927 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
No. But I could grow loads of it if I wanted to (well kind of -- like 5 plants I think).

Or I could just go to the local weed store and pick some out.

I've been looking for a new habit to pick up ...

Posts: 5071 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You could try Burpee Seeds. People been useing them forever.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
This is probably a bigger issue than one might think. People who use legal medical MJ are faced with a dilemma when they need to fly to a state that doesn't allow medical MJ. The traveler must choose to do without, or carry it on the flight, or ship it.

I never really thought about it, but I wonder if in terms of legal risk it's any safer to send it via UPS/Fed Ex, as opposed to USPS, or carrying it on your person. If you're going to be where it's not legal for an extended period of time and feel you can't do without it, you may have the additional dilemma of needing someone to resupply you by shipping from a state where it's legal to a state where it's not.

I have a relative with a rare illness. She has a legit need for MJ - never used nor wanted to for all of her nearly 70 years, but now must, if she wants to sleep at night. She spends winters in Washington and summers in Texas and has a friend in WA that volunteered to send it to her in Texas.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Here's a better thought to consider:

CA has legalized MJ. Can one business send its product to another authorized business in CO?

What if a person living on the southern CA border wants MJ from a retailer on the northern border - can it be drop-shipped or otherwise use the USPS?

What if the product is misdirected to say Atlanta (yes I know, "the USPS make that kind of mistake - only in a dream world"), will somebody get busted?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
USPS frowns upon shipping marijuana via mail.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
My mom recently read a story citing a study that showed CBDs may reduce or prevent plaque buildup in the brain. She's going to apply for a medical card in CO.

She said "the doctor mentioned it can be helpful for migraines and insomnia, maybe I should let you try it".

I had to tell her "do not MAIL me anything with cannabis!!!" Here in Texas that would be frowned upon.

Posts: 3015 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
USPS is feds, feds say weed es no bueno. I'd lean on the side of no.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Legally no and likely policy wise as well with UPS, FedEx, etc. I know people who did it and they were never caught but packages disappeared.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Here's a better thought to consider:

CA has legalized MJ. Can one business send its product to another authorized business in CO?

Interstate shipment of MJ is still going to be illegal. If it crosses state lines, it's definitely Fed territory under the interstate commerce clause. Feds still see MJ as schedule 1 substance, so still illegal as far as they are concerned.

Even shipping it intrastate via USPS is probably still illegal because of USPS federal status.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I won’t try to quote any statutes, but our local shipping store has a large sign saying that marijuana may not be shipped by any means.

I was peripherally involved in a case several years ago in which the Postal Inspectors arrested several people for shipping the stuff to Kansas from Colorado. Medical marijuana was legal in Colorado at the time.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind the next time you need to fill out a 4473.
Federal offense to lie on it, and if you answer you will be denied.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4580 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I would point out that a lot of pot (and other illegal narcotics) moves around the country via USPS.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

Bob

Tried to explain that to a few people here in CA, talk a shitstorm argument of denial on their part.

Then I was kind enough to point out "what happens when the state gets access to a physician's medical files and it is noted you have an MJ card - you really think this state won't deny your gun purchase?"

They just don't get it and the final statement on their part (all nodding in agreement when it was said) "this is California, you don't need a gun here."

I was stunned and had to walk away.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SkyOtter
posted Hide Post
What the heck is marijuana wax?

------------------------------------------------------
There are two types of people in this world: Those who need closure,

Posts: 2561 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: June 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:

Bob

Good point. The new version of the 4473 came out this last January. Check "yes" on MJ use and you no get your gun. Doesn't matter if MJ is legal in your state.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post