SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Take moment to look at the stars
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take moment to look at the stars Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I was out with friends tonight. Us with our 8 year old, another with their infant and another on the way. Yet another who is divorced. Another buddy got his PHD and yet another his captains license and yet another who has been gone for far too many years and still missed like it was yesterday.

All of this makes me think back to 18 year old me. Standing on my parents deck, drunk, looking up at the stars and musing that these are the same stars that will be looking down on me my whole life.

I look at all the changes and losses and I look up at those stars tonight and I look right back at 18 year old me and “18 year old us” and can’t help but smile. Changes and death be damned those same friggen stars are there and take me back.

So Happy Easter and whether you are a believer in Jesus or a magical bunny, believe in the fact that the universe is way bigger then you or I and that you can look up and look the old days right in the eye.

Just felt like musing a bit and forgetting all the ancillary bullshit in life. Politics, social justice, apocalypse du jour. etc. just remembering what matters in my small life.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Right back at ye dude.
Time really does fly.
I'm 38 now... but it feels like just the other day when I was 20 years old in the USMC with my friends and our whole lives in front of us.
Almost 20 years later and several of them are dead and gone already....

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I remember laying on my back on the deck of a US Navy ship running dark. I was looking up at the sky. At first, it was just the normal stars that I can see from any land. As my eyes got accustomed to the night sky, stars started appearing from behind the stars that were already there. And stars kept continuing to appear from the dark.

I was undulating with the ship deck and I was looking at a sea of stars. It certainly put me in my right place as a small thing in a very big universe.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I look at the stars every night and I can name about 60 of them - its been a project of mine for the last year to be able to look up at the night sky and name as many stars in the constellations as possible

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's amazing to me that the light from some of those stars we see with the naked eye started our way 10,000 years before any recorded human history.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you want to feel small in the scheme of things, consider that our 2nd closest star is Proxima Centauri at 4.2 light years. Just over 4 years at the speed of light. Unless we conquer speed of light travel, we will never visit another star. Ever.

Trillions upon trillions of stars, and our sun is the only one we can experience up close.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the first time I saw the Milky Way. I was on a road trip way out in the middle of Texas, had to stop to take a pee break. Got out, looked up and.....damn! Big ol’, nearly solid swath of white slashing across the black sky. I stood there for a while just looking.

“The heavens proclaim the glory of God..” (Psalms 19:1)

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a small town in Missouri. The night sky was beautiful, with the Milky Way easily visible. Few street lights in my neighborhood, and they were pathetically weak incandescents. I miss that view, but my memory of it is clear. I also clearly remember the chigger bites I suffered from summer night sky viewing.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Isaiah 40:26
Turn your eyes to the heavens! See who created these? He brings out the army of them in sequence, summoning each by name. Through His great might and His massive strength, not one of them is missing.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the stars, and even dabble in astrophotography.

I would really like to see the Milky Way, but unfortunately the light pollution is too bad here. I think 2/3rds of the world's population is in the same boat.

Posts: 5298 | Location: S.E. NC | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Well said!

Thanks for helping me take a break from the action!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We were hiking in to a small fire at night—too small to put a distinctive glow on the horizon to guide us. We’re trying to rely on a hastily drawn map to get us there and it was dark.. We were definitely turned around and trying to get our bearings. My best friend on the fire crew was a pretty good amateur astronomer and trying to help asked, “Where’s Scorpio?” If memory serves, it should be in the southern, summer sky.

That was probably a mistake. Most of the crew kept repeating, “Where’s Scorpio?!?” and “What the hell?!?” That became the theme for the rest of the summer. Where’s Scorpio?

We bought our property and built our home out east of Cheyenne. I really hoped it was far enough out of town that we could still see the Milky Way. No joy. The night sky was spectacular where we lived north of Jackson, WY.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
The best thing in the world is being somewhere beyond the man made lights and looking up at the stars. When I was a child I dreamed of being an astronaut. I love everything about the heavens. I have an app on my phone called SkyView, and one of my favorite things is sitting out back with my girl's daughter (9 years old) and using the app to look around. To see her excitement as she names things and watch her wonder...nothing compares.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A memory I have as a yungin’ is camping in the mountains of Colorado. It was “can’t see your hand in front of your face” dark. Looking at the night sky, I’d start to pick out a couple of objects that looked like stars, but they we’re moving slowly. I was seeing satellites orbiting! Boggled my mind.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I look at the stars every night and I can name about 60 of them - its been a project of mine for the last year to be able to look up at the night sky and name as many stars in the constellations as possible

iPhone / iPad app called Sky Guide has been helping me to learn / name constellations and stars.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Not quite a starless sky, but a favorite of mine.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yoop can make me tiny and insignificant. All I need to do is stand on the shore of Lake Superior on a cold clear night, with the stars overhead and a fantastic lightshow from the Aurora Borealis going on.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This takes me back to my pre-teen years lying on my back in the backyard grass gazing up at the heavens. Immersive sensations as the deep sky and milky way unfolded their wonders to my night acclimating eyes. Soft warm gentle breeze further setting this wonderfully memorable experience.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Watch out for falling space stations

(And northern Michigan is unreal for star watching - no light pollution.

Posts: 17883 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I can't wait to move out onto our land in the country as you can barely see any stars at my house right now. When I used to go to my brother's land out in the middle of nowhere, it was pitch black and you could see every star. It was amazing and I would use one of the planet apps on my phone to identify and see the constellations I did not know.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post