SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tourist next to St Martin runway killed by jet blast
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tourist next to St Martin runway killed by jet blast Login/Join 
posted
This is not a surprise:

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/...from-nearby-jet.html

http://www.airspacemag.com/fli...-big-jets-180960365/

This is on my bucket list, though I don't feel a need to get blasted.

The runway is 7,546 feet.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/TNCM

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Morons...

I'd like to be on the beach underneath, but standing at the fence is just stupid.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Darwin award

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Without reading anything but the subject line and having seen the area:

Good.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12400 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done that a couple times before. I prefer sitting at the adjacent Sunset Beach Bar, though. I like watching idiots, such as myself, being blown into the water. It's especially funny when you're well liquored up. Sad for the New Zealander, though. The last thing anyone wants is to die on vacation doing something so stupid.

Posts: 597 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: September 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
My brother has been going down to Sint Maarten twice a year for years yet has NEVER felt compelled to do that.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't the government close the beach to the public? Roll Eyes

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very sad.

All you Darwin types... I hope nothing bad ever happens to a member of your family on vacation.

----------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Very sad.

All you Darwin types... I hope nothing bad ever happens to a member of your family on vacation.

----------------------------------------------------

Most folks don't stand behind behind a Pratt & Whitney when it spools up for takeoff on their vacation.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Yep. You play the stupid games, and you win the stupid f'in prizes. PTZtv used to have a webcam at the Sunset Beach Bar, and you could watch these stupid people 24/7. The REALLY stupid people did this back when KLM's 747s took off - it blew people back into the water, along with hats, shirts, coolers, etc. STUPID! They must also all be illiterate - can't read the prominent warning signs.

Posts: 9032 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Darwin award

She was 57 years old. What does Darwin have to do with it? Christ, that term is so old and tired.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Darwin award

She was 57 years old. What does Darwin have to do with it? Christ, that term is so old and tired.

For all intensive purposes, your point is mute, and it's going to be a tough road to hoe getting people to stop.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
quote:
quote:
Darwin award

For all intensive purposes, your point is mute, and it's going to be a tough road to hoe getting people to stop.

Perhaps an expresso will help.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
I prefer sitting at the adjacent Sunset Beach Bar

Me too - I've had drinks at bar, it's quite fun to get a tan as the big buses land and depart.

St Martin is always a good time. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Darwin award

Well, to be Frank, so was Darwin.

I always wanted to be Frank.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Without reading anything but the subject line and having seen the area:

Good.

savage

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I did it. I was down on the beach, not up against the fence. If you ever want to know what it's like to be sand blasted, try it. The landings are more fun.

This was bound to happen. I wonder if they'll change access to that part of the beach/road because of this. It would be difficult, because that's actually an important stretch of road for the island.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

This was bound to happen. I wonder if they'll change access to that part of the beach/road because of this. It would be difficult, because that's actually an important stretch of road for the island.
I wonder if they would put up a lighting system controlled by the controllers to stop drivers on the road. Essentially control the stop lights. Plane enters the runway, turn the lights red. Plane on short final, turn the lights red. Or at least something like that.

We have control of the PPRP/Taxiway Z lights at BFI. It makes it abundantly clear when there is an aircraft departing that pavement to any vehicles on the perimeter road.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post