SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tourist next to St Martin runway killed by jet blast
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tourist next to St Martin runway killed by jet blast Login/Join 
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Who can blame her?
Those jets are so tiny and quiet they just sneak up on you.

Like trains! Those things can come at you from all angles, and they're deadly silent! Trains need to be louder! We need to ban train silencers! The children! Somebody think of the children!

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious. I could not tell if any of them were wearing hearing protection. Just listening to the video hurt my ears. Yeah I know the alcohol protects your hearing.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:

I always wanted to be Frank.

You are more than welcome, my friend Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The answer here is so simple. Close the beach, close the road, permanently. No one allowed within 1000' of the landing threshold on either side.

There, eveyrone's precious loved ones are now protected from killing themselves through blatant stupidity as clearly the brain that was provided to them is insufficient .

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
The answer here is so simple. Close the beach, close the road, permanently. No one allowed within 1000' of the landing threshold on either side.

There, eveyrone's precious loved ones are now protected from killing themselves through blatant stupidity as clearly the brain that was provided to them is insufficient .

Just to be safe, all jet planes should be banned, and the beaches, forget about it. A statue should be erected with a plaque that says "Tourist Lives Matter".

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Same mentality as the folks that get killed at hurricane parties because they are too drunk or stupid to get out of mother natures way. And yes in my youth I was one of those folks, I was in the vapors bar on the Mississippi coast the night that Camille hit we left and headed east, drunk as skunks just in time. And growing up close to the Alabama coast I would head down to body surf the big waves when ever a hurricane was close. Luckily I got smarter as I got older. Some folks don't.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Did that once, in my misspent youth.
Took a good week to remove all the tiny sand particles.
Really stupid.
Alcohol clouded my thinking.
Drinks had little umbrellas in them,

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
What the hell? And I thought my dog was dumb for wanting to chase cars.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over the past few days, I've seen quite a few of the vintage 747 takeoff videos. I wonder how many of those fence standers were anything close to sober.

"OK, each of those four engines is about to move a couple hundred thousand pounds of airplane. I've got this."

Physics is a cruel bitch.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
It's all fun and games until someone hits the concrete barrier. She's not the first one to hit it.

Stupid stunt. Stupid place for a beach. Absolutely foreseeable tragedy.

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Mexico I used to do something like this while waiting for flights to arrive. Back then the airport had no fence around it. There was one terminal building the size of a small elementary school. They rolled a staircase up to the door to board and deplane. Anyway, I'd drive my VW bus up to the leading edge of the runway and park. I'd climb onto the roof of the Combe (that's what a VW bus was called) and lay down face up with my head toward the direction the plane was coming from. I'd wait looking up into the sky. If I didn't fall asleep, eventually I'd see the nose and landing gear slip by seemingly inches from my nose. It is surprising how quietly a full size jet is on approach. There is almost no audible indication the plane is upon you. Quite exhilarating.....and stupid. But I was young and invincible.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to a local business woman.
9-12, I-phones go missing at the local tourist vacation resorts a day !

she knows this because her daughters went missing while, the girl was in the pool with her boy friend.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:
It's all fun and games until someone hits the concrete barrier. She's not the first one to hit it.

To be fair to the beach, it was probably there before the airport. Big Grin

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
The huge white sign with the red letters gives ample warning. I noticed it is tourists who frequent that beach not locals. I'm sure they know better.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Darwin award

She was 57 years old. What does Darwin have to do with it? Christ, that term is so old and tired.

Gotta say I'm with you. It has been for a while. Not gonna stop, but it is. Also overused. She made a stupid decision and she fucking died. Hey let's celebrate it with a meme from the late nineties.

Posts: 2957 | Location: NM | Registered: July 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Predictable outcome. Why is this news?

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Standing 200 feet behind a large aircraft on a takeoff roll? No thanks. On second thought, these might be good for roasting marshmallows. Ummm, Smores!

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this. Impressive. Always enjoyed watching airplanes take off. This was special.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by PeterGV:

To be fair to the beach, it was probably there before the airport. Big Grin

They really should move that ocean so it's safer.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I think the people on the beach are safe--it's the stupes up by the fence that are in danger.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post