SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police Interceptor Cone Course Report
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police Interceptor Cone Course Report Login/Join 
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted
As part of my volunteer duty, we had to qualify with the new-to-us Ford Interceptor (like a Taurus) on a cone course today. All low-speed. I was happy that the driver's seat was so comfortable and adjustable. The Crown Vic puts me in a chiropractic mood, with its low seat. Cockpit was just about perfect, ergonomically. Quality of plastic was definitely not at the Lexus level, but it is a cheap car. Steering wheel adjusted to suit me, switches fall to hand, dash is bright and clear. Console was, well, a police car console. Utility over style.

Trunk is huge, but hard to see how you would access anything in the way back. Some units have an aluminum drawer tray mounted below the package shelf, extending rearward after unlatching. Full size spare is under a stiff panel to allow lots of gear to be placed on the trunk floor. You'd have to unload everything to get to it, and the jack.

Wheels and tires are beefy. Goodyear pursuit-rated rubber, thick steel wheels. Low profile tires, compared to the Crown Vic. No dog dishes, just black metal style.

We had to practice and test on five cone course elements. First was a lane change at very low speed, forward, backward, then forward. Next was parallel parking. Then, a trio of forward straight, backward lane change, forward, backward lane change, forward, backward lane change. Around the lot, to a serpentine course with cones that were at most 12 inches tall. No way to see them. And, finally a simulated two-lane road turn-around maneuver.

Plenty of time to practice, then, monitored testing. The Interceptor has very limited rear window visibility, and a miniscule rear camera screen embedded in the rear view mirror. Mirrors alone made it possible to perform the tasks in reverse. The camera only proved useful to set the car into a final position just in front of a stop cone.

All in all, a decent afternoon of training. I am pleased that our officers have driven such an upgraded vehicle for the past few years. We are looking forward to receiving two new Interceptors with AWD for our volunteer unit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 4MUL8R,

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you talking the sedans or the SUV type?

I hope you have good luck with them if they are the sedans. My department bought a couple. Biggest piles of crap I have seen on the road in a while.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If the SUV type, best police vehicle I’ve driven in my career.

Only now I’m stuck with a caprice. Mad

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
If the SUV type, best police vehicle I’ve driven in my career

Agreed. Why anyone would order the sedan over the SUV is beyond me. The SUV is plenty nimble, and with the eco-boost, the best police car option on the market. Ford hit a home run with the new line.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Although we have Explorer-based Interceptors, our new hot rods will be Taurus-based. We have about 400 units in the fleet. Not sure how many Explorers. Usually SWAT and brass drive the Explorers.

Our Division of Police thoroughly evaluated many cars, some years ago, and for whatever reasons went with Ford products only. VA State Police went Chargers, and now is using sedan Interceptors.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had quite a few Henrico officers living in our neighborhood before we relocated to NC and they had the newer sedans.

I think they look sharp, but I am a Crown Vic person. I just never took to the SUV but my last agency was phasing out the Crown Vics and most our chargers for SUV's.

I never caught on to the chargers because I felt cramped in the front seat, and I never felt I had good visibility.

I am glad you enjoyed the cone course. I never forgot that phase when I went through the academy. For some reason I was so stressed out, but I did fine. I think I over thought the whole thing before I started.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Your pics just came through for some reason. Obviously sedans. I know nothing about the SUV’s so I cannot say anything about them.

As I said earlier the couple we got are the most hated cars in the fleet and have nothing but, issues. The brass said when those mile out they will never get those again.

Our SUVs are Dodge Durango SSV packages. They are nice.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All our Crown Vics are gone now but I much prefer the Charger to the Taurus. I find it much harder to get in and out of the Taurus. There seems to be more room and seat travel in the Chargers even with the cages.

"Momma say's the pistol is the Devil's right hand."

Posts: 694 | Location: Ontario | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
If the SUV type, best police vehicle I’ve driven in my career

Agreed. Why anyone would order the sedan over the SUV is beyond me. The SUV is plenty nimble, and with the eco-boost, the best police car option on the market. Ford hit a home run with the new line.

Yep. We love our AWD Explorers. I can fit all of our police crap in the rear compartment and at 6'5", I can sit comfortably in the front seat. The SUV's cost $2000 more than the sedans but we sell them for $7000 when we are done with them. Great vehicle.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post