SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So about this torpedo attack on the tankers...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So about this torpedo attack on the tankers... Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Japanese ship owner is basically saying we are full of it and that something flew into the ship.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/o...ck-today-2019-06-14/

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
They probably mounted it where it was convenient, so they could leave quickly. It would cause plenty of damage, but might not sink the boat.

My feeling is that Iran just wanted to send the message that they can seriously disrupt shipping and oil prices if they wanted to. They didn't want to kill anyone and sink the ships. It was just a shot across the bow.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
My feeling is that Iran just wanted to send the message that they can seriously disrupt shipping and oil prices if they wanted to. They didn't want to kill anyone and sink the ships. It was just a shot across the bow.

Jim

Exactly- based on knowledge from WW2 documentaries Cool , the best place to put it would be underneath if they wanted to sink the ship. this is above the waterline to minimize damage.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
Iran denies involvement.

Maybe they'll team up with O.J. to find the real perpetrator.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Japanese ship owner is basically saying we are full of it and that something flew into the ship.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/o...ck-today-2019-06-14/

Here's what he said:

"Company president Yutaka Katada said Friday he believes the flying objects seen by the sailors could have been bullets. He denied any possibility of mines or torpedoes because the damage was above the ship's waterline. He called reports of a mine attack "false.""

Posts: 10913 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
As I recall, didn't Iran try this same crap back in the 80s? Reagan blowed up a few of their oil rigs real good and brought them right back into line.

What's that old saying? There are few problems that cannot be solved through the suitable application of high explosives.

Seems to me, it's getting time for a similar punch in the nose. Iran is desperate. Their economy is in the tank, their inflation is through the roof, and they are lashing out. They need to be smacked down.

Not war mind you, unless that's what they want. Just a few well placed missiles is all it'll take.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I can't believe the folks here who are ready to jump head long into a war with Iran over this shit, especially given the so called evidence we've been provided so far. The US still hasn't found a way out of Iraq and Afghanistan after all these years, and the last thing we need to do is jump into another military adventure with the likes of Iran. The Iranians are garbage and certainly 'could' have mined these ships. Of course, so could other groups in the region. I'm simply not buying into any of this BS just yet, especially given the comments of the Japanese ship owner.

If the US wants to throw some outdated or expired ordinance into the Iranian oil fields as a push back, that's one thing. But let's stay the hell out of another conflict in the region that drains our national bank account and costs us the lives of more US military members.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The US still hasn't found a way out of Iraq and Afghanistan after all these years, and the last thing we need to do is jump into another military adventure with the likes of Iran.

Sometimes I think they’re all in a room and one guy says, “This time! It’s totally gonna work!”

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
The US still hasn't found a way out of Iraq and Afghanistan after all these years, and the last thing we need to do is jump into another military adventure with the likes of Iran.

We haven't found a way out of Germany or Korea yet either. Wink

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post