SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So about this torpedo attack on the tankers...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So about this torpedo attack on the tankers... Login/Join 
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Limpet mines can be placed by a diver with a timed fuse while the vessel is at port.

Which appears to possibly be the case here.

From the news article linked in feersum's post:

quote:
U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and other officials expressed confidence that Iran was behind the attack near the Strait of Hormuz. Bolton, while visiting the United Arab Emirates, said, “There’s no doubt in anybody’s mind in Washington who’s responsible for this.” The operation, he added, was carried out with “naval mines almost certainly from Iran.” The American fleet also closely monitored several Iranian ships, from which the attack was apparently conducted by divers from the navy of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGCN).

Interesting. Maybe "launch the torpedo as soon as the mine goes boom" kinda thing?

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yeah, and Iran and others have no history of launching small-scale attacks on US interests at a time when they think diplomacy will prevent the US from retaliating.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Yeah, and Iran and others have no history of launching small-scale attacks on US interests at a time when they think diplomacy will prevent the US from retaliating.

Poking the wrong guy.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Iran sure is poking the rattlesnake....

Trouble is, their stick isn't a tenth as big as it would need to be.

They're poking Gorzirra. Smile

Posts: 15893 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I guess the real question is, who else could be responsible? Easy question.

There is no question that the events happened. There are only so many countries in that area that could have done it, and there is only one country in that area that would have done it.

Nuke 'em till they glow and shoot them in the dark.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Operation Praying Mantis was a kinder, gentler US who had only put up with a few years of their bullshit. We’ve lost way too many US lives and have put up with their shit for over a generation. Iran will will be lucky to have anything that floats if they keep this up.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Start launching tomahawks until the B52s fly overhead and drop all that ordnance we have left over from Vietnam, the first gulf war, the second gulf war until things cease moving across the area...it’s hard to launch offenses whenyo got bombed into the Stone Age....

Just like the shit in Memphis...they make riot shotguns..the cops should shoot the first asshole who grabs a brick, stand over his corpse and look for more assholes who wanna grab bricks...and keep doing it until assholes figure out doing that will get you dead

It’s probaby good I’m not in charge of much...cause assholes would get dead.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MikeinNC,

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Tonight Fox is reporting that the US has video of an Iraninan boat removing an unexploded mine from one of the tankers, even as US forces were either on the scene or enroute.

Suspcions are that they wanted to remove evidence of their involvement since the mine didn't detonate.

Unclear if the video will be made public at this time.

If this is true, then exactly how does one retaliate? Since Iran did not attack US ships, the ships they did attack don't have sufficient forces to launch a counterattack. Are we going to proxy this for them?

Clearly a force response is necessary and sanctions need to be tightened even more. Just how do we tie into the ships attacked warranting our direct response?

Posts: 4077 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The nearest IRGC base was just 24 miles from both attacked vessels location...

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Clearly a force response is necessary and sanctions need to be tightened even more. Just how do we tie into the ships attacked warranting our direct response?

Wel, there were those six Iranian ships that mysteriously burned. Wonder if any seals were playing around them?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Iran sure is poking the rattlesnake....

Trouble is, their stick isn't a tenth as big as it would need to be.
The democrats have the Iranians back.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retaliation is the issue in this somewhat new 'grey' area of international relations, where hostile acts border on act of war by one party against another. Been ongoing in the South China Sea for quite awhile now.

Read a piece in USA Today, that it could be Houti Rebels / freedom fighters in Yemen fighting Saudi incursion in Yemen may have launched the attacks to hurt Saudi Oil revenue.

Or, Iran is trying to send a subtle message to the War Hawks in the US government, that Iran might lose, but will inflict a 'world' of hurt on the Western economies. Still a dangerous move against a Superpower with an itchy trigger finger - especially against the 100 pound weaklings in the world.

I guess we may get to see how good the Russian SA300 / SA400 (if Iran has the latter yet) is...

Would be interesting to discover what sort of Electronic Spectrum denial capabilities Iran has too. Been reading a lot about this issue and how to deal with in in some US military publications.

It's a whole new world.

quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Tonight Fox is reporting that the US has video of an Iraninan boat removing an unexploded mine from one of the tankers, even as US forces were either on the scene or enroute.

Suspcions are that they wanted to remove evidence of their involvement since the mine didn't detonate.

Unclear if the video will be made public at this time.

If this is true, then exactly how does one retaliate? Since Iran did not attack US ships, the ships they did attack don't have sufficient forces to launch a counterattack. Are we going to proxy this for them?

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is the Iranian government and leadership a bunch of low life lunatic dirt bag pond scum? Yes. Do I think it's a good idea to get into a war with them. Definitely not. I have known a few Iranian exiles living in the US. To a person they were all fine people. Many years ago I met Reza Pahlavi (the Shah's son). He is a good guy. I think the way to go is to encourage the many dissidents in Iran. Officially its fine to say we don't favor regime change, but unofficially we should go all in for regime change.

Posts: 1052 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Burning tankers jack up the price of oil. Lots of folks benefit from this, and I bet the burning tankers are insured.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fed161:
Is the Iranian government and leadership a bunch of low life lunatic dirt bag pond scum? Yes. Do I think it's a good idea to get into a war with them. Definitely not. I have known a few Iranian exiles living in the US. To a person they were all fine people. Many years ago I met Reza Pahlavi (the Shah's son). He is a good guy. I think the way to go is to encourage the many dissidents in Iran. Officially its fine to say we don't favor regime change, but unofficially we should go all in for regime change.
I served USAF in Iran 1969-1971 and lived in Tehran. The Shah was still very much in power and life there was fairly nice. The Iranians spoke English, dressed in Western clothes, and enjoyed some of the Western ways. There was still a lot of poverty, but no one was starving, because there were special government stores that took care of that. The Shah was doing all he could to bring Iran into the 20th Century. Of course, all that went away when the Shah was deposed.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm confused, either they have gall to go back and remove the evidence or, they're idiots with too many bosses. Over filled boat and nobody on that tanker dropped any garbage or, scrap metal on them.

Filmed either from the ship's Fire Scout drone or, from a EP-3

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure Iran will immediately share the physical evidence so everyone can figure out who done it. Wink
Japanese reps are already in country.

Posts: 427 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Would have been nice to end that video of the boat with a AGM114 impact or 2.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'm not a mineologist or anything, but wouldn't it make more sense to mount a mine below the water line? Or am I seeing something different in the video? He removes it from about 10 feet above the water line, right?

Posts: 11165 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They probably mounted it where it was convenient, so they could leave quickly. It would cause plenty of damage, but might not sink the boat.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post