SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where Did All The Lizards Go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Did All The Lizards Go? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
They are in abundance around my house and office.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you’re near Cincinnati get on I-75 and get off at the franklin exit. There’s a truck stop with all the lizards you can shake a stick at

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
As soon as the overnight temperatures got below 70 degrees here in northern AZ, the lizards went underground. They might come out for a little sunshine but not for long.

I'm surprised to see the newly hatched lizards more than adults. I hope they survive the winter.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
The colorful green anole and the striped ones are native to FL. They thrive for a while, then they feed birds, snakes, and even the cute (but noisy) cuban tree frog (also invasive), that will eat anything they can get into their mouths, including the native tree frogs that are endangered here. Once "cold" for FL weather sets in, they are usually just hiding in piles of leaves, dirt, dead trees, and pretty much doing nothing until it's warm again.

I love hearing tree frogs at night. One place I have is a mountain environment with all kinds of trees and snakes. Ringneck, Brown Earth, Gray Earth, and Black snakes. Occasionally you even see skinks.

The pepper frogs laid eggs in one of my water barrels so I am feeding them fish food. There is some moss on the inside of the barrel which they also eat.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
palmetto bugs (cochroaches) flying around everywhere

Your roaches fly??? Ew.

Yup, they fly. Google Palmetto bugs and look at videos...….We also get German roaches and other ones too......lucky us.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rushfan65
posted Hide Post
The lizards are all over South Florida along with the iguanas.

Posts: 379 | Location: Margate, FL | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've got tons of 'em. One even tried to accompany me to Publix as a hood ornament the other evening.

Turned to face the apparent wind, hunkered down and surfed the hood.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Very strange. I have not seen any, not even one, since the non-hurricane. None around the house, none around the hangar. I usually see a dozen or more every day.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
We have them like crazy here, I even saved some from the hurricane. Has your exterminator been around lately. If they have then maybe your lizards left temporarily for greener bug pastures at your neighbors house! Once a quarter, I'm lizard lite around here for a few days!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So funny the cycle of life around here. Lizards build up then as the pop drops I find the black or corn snakes. Same with the frogs.

Squirrels build up then more hawks come in and the pop drops.

Never stops with the dang palmetto/roaches.

Find a lot of deer in the neighborhood. And rabbits. Less armadillos recently though. But for a few days of the potential hurricane there was a day or two of absence of all these critters.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Nope, not exterminator.

Snakes? In the past I have seen the occasional black snake, but now that you (Augen) mention it, I have not seen one recently.

Actually, other than ants, I have not seen any wild life outside the house. Lizards, crows, hawks, even squirrels. There were many of all of these before the non-hurricane, but I have not seen any since then. Very strange.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Continuing education conference. You've got to maintain your PDHs to keep your license. License to crawl around trees, eat flies, and sun on the trash can lid.

Posts: 583 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

We have plenty of several varieties here in AZ. The only times I've noticed a mass disappearance around our house, there's usually a roadrunner hanging around.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
plenty down here in Naples. I love seeing them - especially the males when they display their throat fan.

There is something good and motherly about Washington, the grand old benevolent National Asylum for the helpless.
- Mark Twain The Gilded Age

#CNNblackmail #CNNmemewar

Posts: 706 | Location: Seacoast in USA | Registered: September 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
Plenty of lizards down here! Both in the front and rear of the house. I like to refer to the landscaping bed that has a variety of plants and bushes along the walkway and garage wall in the front of the house as "Micro Jurassic Park" given the wide variety of lizards (at least four or five different kinds) that live in and around it and that are frequently seen on the walkway and sometimes the driveway. Everything from the tiniest common lizard babies to the large "T-Rex/Superpredator" ring tails. My wife and daughters, not so much admirers and fans as I am though. Big Grin

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My wife calls the "eeks."

This, from the time that she was surprised by one and yelled "EEK!"

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I saw those little lizards every day when I lived in Boca Raton. They had a very peculiar feature: Their heads seemed to be transparent, about where I think their ears were.

When I saw one about eye level, on the side of a tree, I could see daylight through that spot. Have you ever noticed that?

Yes!

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
The jewelers absconded with the Anoles to fashion them into earrings.

Where have all the lizards gone, long time passing?
Where have all the lizards gone, long time ago?
Where have all the lizards gone?
Young girls have picked them everyone
Oh, when will they ever learn?
Oh, when will they ever learn?

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Puerto Rico, the young girls in the neighborhood wore live lizards, as in your photo, for earrings.

We had a couple of "wall lizards" in the house that kept is mosquito-free.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
If you’re near Cincinnati get on I-75 and get off at the franklin exit. There’s a truck stop with all the lizards you can shake a stick at

Recreational Reptile? Horizontal Highway Hostess? Sleeper Creeper?

Posts: 11814 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post