SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where Did All The Lizards Go?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Did All The Lizards Go? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
The little lizards are just about everywhere that you look, in Florida. But not this week.

We normally have two or three hanging around the front door, a few on the sidewalk, and some running around on the driveway.

My wife pointed out that she has not seen any for the past week, ever since the day of the non-hurricane (Dorian). Once she mentioned this, I looked, and no lizards.

Have any of you other Florida dwellers noticed this?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got to Orlando earlier this week and noted on my walk a couple of nights ago about half a dozen anole type lizards. Was rather pleased as it reminds me of the geckos of my youth. I did notice last night I saw none on the same route, but there was a lot more people last night.

Posts: 314 | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
It's their Lizard Union Mandated 2 weeks Vacay.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
The can sense incoming earthquakes and fled the state.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Tasty was they.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're still plentiful here, the one that hangs on my mailbox certainly hasn't missed a day. I have noticed a lot more tree frogs the last week or so, not sure what that means.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I saw those little lizards every day when I lived in Boca Raton. They had a very peculiar feature: Their heads seemed to be transparent, about where I think their ears were.

When I saw one about eye level, on the side of a tree, I could see daylight through that spot. Have you ever noticed that?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Cats ate them

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
The jewelers absconded with the Anoles to fashion them into earrings.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
They're still plentiful here, the one that hangs on my mailbox certainly hasn't missed a day. I have noticed a lot more tree frogs the last week or so, not sure what that means.

We moved to VA where the only foe is the black snake. It does get cold here but we survive by hiding out in the wood pile during winter.

Mary Jane and Oscar Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Not Florida but grackles & roadrunners (as well as our cat) keep them managed around here. I usually see them sunning on the back wall. I haven't noticed if they were fewer. It is cooling a little here locally.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
They all evac'ed to TX. We have tons running around our back yard, constantly see them scurrying off.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:

Cats ate them
These cats? https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/3230016064

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Check the Democratic party websites...

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Lots of lizards down here in SW FL.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of small animals hid before the storm, and are all eventually migrating back to where they live. I hadn't seen a lizard for a few days before the storm until about 3 days ago and now it's business as usual. About 4 nights ago, I went in my backyard and there were palmetto bugs (cochroaches) flying around everywhere, which I'd never seen and an hour later they were all gone.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
BigCity -- Please delete your post (political content in a non-political thread is frowned upon by the management).

Thank you.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
palmetto bugs (cochroaches) flying around everywhere

Your roaches fly??? Ew.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
Check the Democratic party websites...
Please do not interject politics into apolitical threads. Not only is it unwelcome, it's not even close to funny. It's old and tired and boring.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad Apple
of the AAP
Picture of 9mm_shooter
posted Hide Post

Those little brown lizards are an invasive species, the Brown Anole. The colorful green anole and the striped ones are native to FL. They thrive for a while, then they feed birds, snakes, and even the cute (but noisy) cuban tree frog (also invasive), that will eat anything they can get into their mouths, including the native tree frogs that are endangered here. Once "cold" for FL weather sets in, they are usually just hiding in piles of leaves, dirt, dead trees, and pretty much doing nothing until it's warm again.

I will typically try to relocate the cuban tree frogs that are in my backyard during summer months, since they are so damn loud. The state of Florida considers them invasive, and UF recommends killing them on sight, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Posts: 7793 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: June 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post