SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Consulting the Oracle: Writing a Church Security Plan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Consulting the Oracle: Writing a Church Security Plan Login/Join 
Stuck on
himself
posted
I sit on the board of deacons at my church. Here in Ohio state law is that you must have written permission from church staff to legally carry inside a place of worship. The last pastor wasn't a fan of firearms and wouldn't consider allowing CCW in church but he's moved on and I've been given the opportunity to establish a CONOPS for a security team after what happened in Texas recently.

Opening concealed carry to all is a non-starter for the moment, but its at least a step in the right direction. It might be as simple as havin an approved list but they asked me to put together a plan and though perhaps someone here has done something similar.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any thoughts?

Yeah, just tell everyone to keep it "concealed" and shut up. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I would start with entrance and exit armed security at the minimum.

It can be done without it being obvious and it should be.

One can only hope never needed. But know days one must take necessary precautions, unfortunately.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple questions :

how many congregants per service? small / medium / large number?

basic design layout of the facility?

do you - as far as you know - have a pool of persons interested in assuming armed duty?

Whatever you do - I highly advocate for concealed carry.

------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are there any police, military or ex-service members in the congregation to consult / work with?

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
Small church, 130 people per service tops. Really only two main points of entry so one or two people could cover it without much problem.

Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Are there any police, military or ex-service members in the congregation to consult / work with?

Definitely, including myself. We're in Dayton which hosts Wright Patterson AFB. I'm not altogether concerned with not being able to find a pool of willing recruits.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Y’all to a lawyer about any liability issues. May be less risk to just permit CCW than to have a formal plan

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are resources on-line. While reading a book on the issues (Evil Invades Sanctuary by Carl Chinn), the author mentioned Tina Lewis Rowe, a former USMS member who had guidance on church security plans. I've not read them (we actually have a training planned this week by local LEOs) however. Her resources (free for download) may be helpful.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
It’s so much more than a Plan.

Does it become part of the church constitution or bylaws?

Who is liable (trustees, elders, entire congregation) if something goes wrong?

If a few well-intended folk who just happen to attend the same church occasionally discuss concealed carry in a non-formal manner, that’s one thing. But creating a written policy and adhering to it is something entirely different.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
ASIS Security for Houses of Worship.

You will need to register to download the documents, but everything on this page should be free. I do not know if ASIS is as bad as say the NRA about badgering to join, but I doubt it as they are an International Trade/Professional Organization.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
These thing tend to get blown out of proportion. When there is a shooting anywhere it makes the news and everyone goes into panic mode.
Every Sunday tens of millions of people go to worship in some way. Nothing else happens.
I would let those that want to carry, without a formal agreement, do so and go on with your life. If someone wants to stand at the door or parking lot then that’s ok too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
Our church liability insurance company Brotherhood Mutual has a church safety and Security manual. They cover all aspects and if adhered to will cover your team.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Easy have the ushers carry, they are at the doors and welcome all then stay at the back during mass. I dont think anyone with a CCP would mind standing in for that position, I know I would not!

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are a small church of currently less than 50 total people on a given Sunday for now. We have told our congregation that if there is an active shooter, DO NOT FREEZE, but to make every attempt to distract the shooter by throwing whatever you have or nearby at them. This mean, your chair, purse, bible, car keys, etc. This can give the time for someone or people to stop the threat by whatever means necessary. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3053 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+2 on Brotherhood Mutual. I attended a security program put on by them a year ago. It was taught by ex-LE people and was very realistic in terms of recognizing that evil is everywhere.
One interesting tidbit: most of the recent shootings started in the parking lot.

Churches are full of sheep. They need sheepdogs.

Posts: 686 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
This organization may be of some assistance to you.

https://www.churchsecurityalliance.com

Also, I concur with the reference to consulting with the church's legal advisor as well as their insurer for more information.

With regard to the insurer, one observation from a few years ago when my church began to formalize a security / safety team: the church's insurance company told church leadership that relevant training for the team could be conducted on church grounds and under the auspices of the church as long as no weaponry was involved. In other words, subjects such as first aid, "people" skills, and the like were okay, but weapons-related training was not - that would have to be conducted off-site.

Just something to keep in mind.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post