SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The majority of people walking around have no concept of violence
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The majority of people walking around have no concept of violence Login/Join 
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Oh, I'm not saying the statistics are wrong. The trend absolutely is that violent crime has been on a slow and steady decline.

Some would say that we should all cut our nuts off because of that, and I disagree.

It's also worth noting exactly when it's politically expedient to inflate oh, "gun violence," meanwhile we're oh so safe.

We are very safe. But the world is still made of people, so there will never be a zero sum utopia of nonviolence. No matter who is in charge, what laws they pass, or what deity is most popular.

Individual rights, responsibilities, and freedoms. Herd inoculation.

Don't look now, but they're going up (Violent Crime, Murder). Yes, they are still relatively low, but they are no longer holding steady or declining like they had been since the early 90s.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I hear many people say “I don’t leave the house without a gun”. What if you’re sitting on the couch watching TV and someone kicks in a door?

Then I pick up one of the guns on the ottoman. Fiancée takes hers off and leaves it there until she leaves house again. Sometimes mine is there too.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20814 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
Don't look now, but they're going up (Violent Crime, Murder). Yes, they are still relatively low, but they are no longer holding steady or declining like they had been since the early 90s.

Thank you, social justice warriors. Police are more reluctant to do their jobs and the criminal class feels more emboldened, justified, and entitled.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Thank you, social justice warriors. Police are more reluctant to do their jobs...

You are so right. A friend of mine has been with CMPD for 30+ years. He says he no longer does "active" patrolling such as investigating a group of youth standing on a street corner in a known drug area but rather waits to be dispatched. Said to do so anymore is more chance for him to be seen as the bad guy, etc.
Yet the ones who hate the police the most are the same ones who call all the time wanting help/patrols.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
This morning as I was leaving the house for work the oft misattributed Von Moltke quote; "No plan survives contact with the enemy" was in my thoughts along with my favorite Tyson quote; "Everybody has a plan til they get punched in the face"
(My ship is in the yard and everything that can go wrong has gone wrong so maybe that is why I was traveling down that particular mental path)
But you're right Arc, so many people assume the world is nothing but rainbows and unicorns, not only have they never been punched in the face, but they DON'T EVEN HAVE A PLAN.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
This reminds me of one of my favorite comic strips - I look at it everyday since it's posted on my wall.

Basically, someone is complaining about the winter weather and how it would be a perfect world if it stopped snowing. And someone else asks if the first person has seen the news today and remarks that if all he has to complain about is the weather, he lives in a perfect world.

Today, many people have no clue how good life in the USA is. If all they have to complain about is some trigger word, or that university tests are too hard and they need a crying room, or that Trump is POTUS, they are really clueless to how good they really have it.

I met a friend yesterday and he made the comment to the effect of : no matter how shitty his job may be, he's always happy. Because it could be much much worse (he could be living in 'Stan or in the wilds of Africa or something); he appreciates that even with a shitty job, he's got it much better than large percentages of the global population.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
In America, even the poor are fat.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
For those that haven't seen it, Active Self Protection has a lot of videos with commentary on real life incidents of violence. Many are from other parts of the world, but plenty enough in the USA.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:

Thank you, social justice warriors. Police are more reluctant to do their jobs and the criminal class feels more emboldened, justified, and entitled.

+1

Would be interesting to have graphs of that data with 'Ferguson Effect' jurisdictions sorted out.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hear many people say “I don’t leave the house without a gun”. What if you’re sitting on the couch watching TV and someone kicks in a door?

I draw my pistol and shoot the scumbag.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31427 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You don’t fix faith,
River. It fixes you.

Picture of Yanert98
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
What also disturbs me about certain segments of society today, is that in essence, impotence is a virtue. The absence of any form of aggression, because aggression can of course only be masculine, and masculine is "the patriarchy."

So, if you have boy parts, and want to subscribe to a particular political ideology, it's up to you to emasculate yourself.

Generally though, we are so very safe. Such that many people believe we've transcended violence, or that laws actually do something.

Jordan Peterson has written and spoke a ton about this trend. He basically lays it out that a man cannot truly do "good" until he acknowledges and confronts the capacity for 'evil' in himself and ALL others.

----------------------------------
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism.." - Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2673 | Location: Migrating with the Seasons | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
My world is framed in reference to my son, these days. I don't want to leave him unprepared, and I want to make sure he outlives me.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
were we More Safe ,situationally aware prior to cell phones
more are we more safe now ?

it used to be that people would zone out when they were alone , out in public,
now they just zone out , period, alone, in groups, it does not matter.

they think of these phones as crutch's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Carry at home? thread

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
My theater of choice used to only have a 30.07 sign on their door. For those "not in the know", 30.07 is the Texas LTC Statute that prohibits open carry. I hadn't been there in a while, but went to see Jurassic World today and guess what? They now have a 30.06 sign as well...Texas LTC Statute prohibiting conceal carry. I will have to make a tough choice of whether to conceal carry anyway. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Concealed is concealed...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was a Policeman I was often surprised at how little the average law abiding citizen knew of the general population of criminals walking and living among them. I often and still do equate it with what I saw scuba diving and the the survival of the fittest or quickest to swim away from becoming prey. There is no difference on land. We swim or live our daily lives often within feet or yards between us and the criminal elements looking to take advantage of us or our loved ones or friends. Most of our neighbors have no clue how bad it is out there. If you’ve worked as a firefighter, ER Nurse or Policeman, you know.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
My theater of choice used to only have a 30.07 sign on their door. For those "not in the know", 30.07 is the Texas LTC Statute that prohibits open carry. I hadn't been there in a while, but went to see Jurassic World today and guess what? They now have a 30.06 sign as well...Texas LTC Statute prohibiting conceal carry. I will have to make a tough choice of whether to conceal carry anyway. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Concealed is concealed...

The whole movie theatre "gun free zone" is an easy solve. Just deny them your patronage. most movies make it to Netflix within a month or two of release - and you avoid $20 for a popcorn and soft drink !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
The threat of violence as it exists today may be small but not less real, often more extreme, and certainly less predictable.

When some learn I carry when possible and seem surprised, I ask them if they buckle up every trip, or just on the days when an accident is going to happen.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2008 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
When I was a Policeman I was often surprised at how little the average law abiding citizen knew of the general population of criminals walking and living among them. I often and still do equate it with what I saw scuba diving and the the survival of the fittest or quickest to swim away from becoming prey. There is no difference on land. We swim or live our daily lives often within feet or yards between us and the criminal elements looking to take advantage of us or our loved ones or friends. Most of our neighbors have no clue how bad it is out there. If you’ve worked as a firefighter, ER Nurse or Policeman, you know.

My absolute favorites are the know it all cronies who love to say "NOTHING EVER HAPPENS HERE". And then they get chosen for Grand Jury. The response is always the same on how they never guessed that much violence and evil walk among them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
My theater of choice used to only have a 30.07 sign on their door. For those "not in the know", 30.07 is the Texas LTC Statute that prohibits open carry. I hadn't been there in a while, but went to see Jurassic World today and guess what? They now have a 30.06 sign as well...Texas LTC Statute prohibiting conceal carry. I will have to make a tough choice of whether to conceal carry anyway. As the saying goes, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Concealed is concealed. ..

The choice is not that hard, really.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post