SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Screw Jared, He Went to David ---- She Said YES! --- Warning, pic heavy -- Date Set 10/6/18
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screw Jared, He Went to David ---- She Said YES! --- Warning, pic heavy -- Date Set 10/6/18 Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted
This is a few months late - she actually said yes on August 22nd.

First off, a very special thank you to our own David Truong for making the beautiful ring. The process spanned over a year. I initially sought his advice a year in advance. When the time finally came (money saved, debts paid), I reached back out to him. I sent David the diamond link and a general design and said, “Here’s what I am thinking - do your magic. You have artistic license to do whatever you think will look great.” He sent back some renderings, I added my inputs, and we tweaked the design until it was exactly as I envisioned.

Then my stone was sold and the listing was not updated. This is an Asscher cut, which is not common, so I was pretty bummed. He called back with great news: he had located another stone that was same size and a step up on the other three C’s. After getting the diamond, he went to work and made the ring in short order. It looked like everything I was hoping for and more! I knew she was going to love it. During the process, he sent me videos of the diamond he had found, renderings/pictures of the concept, and then the final ring. He answered every question quickly and thoroughly. This was a major purchase and, outside of a car or home, was the single most expensive purchase I have ever made in my life. I was completely nervous about the entire thing. He made it a breeze. I can’t speak highly enough about his process, attention to detail, and customer service.

Now to the actual story:

I had been planning to ask her to marry me for years. I wanted to pay off all my debts and be able to financially start a family. In the end, I decided that wasn’t going to happen, but I’m really close and plan to be debt free in December 2018. We aren’t getting any younger… Better get this show on the road!

I had known since 2015/16 where and when I was going to ask her to marry me. I only had to figure out how to get her there. The plan: On the beach during the 2017 total solar eclipse. By January 2017, I told her about the eclipse and that we should plan a summer vacation. We found a cute little condo on the beach to rent in Isle of Palms, SC - directly in the path of the eclipse with a private fishing pier to watch from. My plan was to pop the question during the diamond ring phase of the eclipse. This occurs when the sun is 99+% covered and the first light peeks out from behind the moon. You can see the ring of the corona (the ring) and a bright point of light in one corner (the diamond).

We arrived a few days before-hand and enjoyed the beach and sights of the Carolina Low Country. Friendly people, abundant historical sites, beautiful beaches, and gorgeous plantations.

- Massive down pour flooded condo parking lot.

- Stray kitty we befriended, fed him all week.

- Sunrise/Sunset in front of our condo.

- Bone Yard Beach - My favorite part of trip, only accessible for an hour a day.

- Barren shelves from The Great Eclipse.

- Angel Oak, gigantic tree.

- Botany Bay

- Fort Sumter

- Magnolia Plantation

The day of the eclipse:

I was so excited. I got the ring out, stuck it in my pocket, and we headed out for the day. We got some breakfast on the beach; checked out all the news crews and other people from across the country staking out their plots on the beaches; had a nice mixed drink at the bar; and headed back to the room to gather up her camera stuff, blankets, cooler, chairs, etc.
While eating breakfast, it was cloudy and storming all around us. We watched the news that said we might get a clearing. As we prepared for the eclipse on our private pier, the sun was heavily covered in clouds. This was looking to be a real disappointment. I had planned for two years to pick this day, time, and event to pop the question. Aileen bought special filters for her camera, glasses, binoculars, and all sorts of other things just for this day. Some people had talked about chasing the opening in the clouds off to somewhere else. We decided to stick it out. It all worked out like magic! About ten minutes before totality, a small window opened in the clouds right where the sun was. The whole area turned dark, not like a cloudy day, but like someone turned down a dimmer switch for the sun. It’s hard to describe, like twilight, but a different color. We could see the thunderstorms and clouds all around us with purple lightening strikes across the 360 degree sunset on the horizon. The crickets came out to chirp, and the hair stood up on the back of our necks telling us, this was not normal! It was amazing, magical, and mesmerizing.
In the minutes leading up to totality, you could hear the crowd hush and everyone was transfixed upon the sun with the glasses, cameras, and pinhole viewers. It was a very unique feeling. Aileen was frantically snapping away pictures and monitoring her cameras. At this point, I was awestruck by the eclipse and she was busy doing her photog stuff. I decided I would not do it now - I was just enjoying the view, and she was engrossed in pictures.

Now, plan B:

What to do? I had planned this for so long with no backup plan. The next day, we travelled to Ft. Sumter for sightseeing - not the most romantic place in the world. It would be strange to tell people we got engaged where the first shots of the Civil War were fired. We had plans to go out to dinner in Charleston, and I figured I would try to find a way to sneak off and grab a Manager or Maître d to enlist their help, or just wing it. I was in uncharted waters. Then, after a hot day of walking and standing in lines, we both felt like eating in. We picked up some steaks at the grocery store and planned an evening in.

At this point, I needed to come up with an alternative on the fly. Luckily, Aileen stepped in and gave me the perfect opportunity! She wanted to set up the tripod and take some beach pictures at sunset. Perfect! Romantic waves, sand, and sunset - I couldn’t think of a better place to pop the question. A bonus was that I was going to get her to unknowingly take a picture of me proposing to her. Not too many people get that picture.

We took a couple of pictures posing together on the beach. Then, she asked if I wanted to take some goofy pictures. I said, “One more serious one.” At this point, I had figured out the exact timing between the first flashing red light on her camera and when it snapped the picture. I grabbed the ring box real quick, got down on one knee, and blurted out “Will you marry me?” The picture snapped just at the right second! She had the cutest look on her face: she tilted her head to the side slightly like a confused puppy and said “YES!” We then ran over to the camera to see if we got the picture… We did! Perfection. After looking at the picture, she turned to me and asked, “Did you ask me to marry me, and did I say yes?” I said, “Yes, dear. I asked, and you said yes.”

So there's our story, hope you enjoyed reading and seeing the pictures.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/ZHPx94-0N_k

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skins2881,

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Great story. Just came back from Charleston on Saturday, my first trip there so I know of what you speak. Beautiful ring, You and Dave did a great job. Congratulations!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the couple in love. I'm tearing up while fanning myself with my hand. Now get the show on the road and start that family!!!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1169 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! You two look really good together.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Congrats Jesse!

Dave did a beautiful job as expected.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Beautiful fiancée and ring.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Nice! Congrats. Cool

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nothing can be Something
Picture of greybeard9
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ring! Congratulations to you and your soon-to-be bride.

"In the age of madness, to expect to be untouched by madness is a form of madness." - Saul Bellow

Posts: 1063 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Here's wishing you both the best of everything together: health, prosperity, and a wonderful posterity. May God bless you both in your new life together.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
...and that's how you do it, fellahs! Cool

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
A great narrative Jesse.

Congratulations and may the two of you live long, fruitful and prosperous lives together.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Very nice job, sir! Thumbs up!

Congratulations.

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
...and that's how you do it, fellahs! Cool

I couldn't agree more!
Congratulation to the both of you and David!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6315 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. Congratulations. She's very lucky to have someone so thoughtful. The ring is absolutely beautiful. It's simple yet very classy with the angles in the band and the design of it. Both you and Dave did an incredible job!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
Nice!

Beautiful ring and lady you got there!

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love it when a plan comes together! Congratulations!

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1527 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I did not read the post but want to wish you and your bride a long and loving marriage.

For those that say marriage is a lost part of our culture I say bull.

Again congrats and your bride is beautiful!
You are a lucky man and never forget it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19173 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Jesse you outdid yourself! Beautiful pictures outdone only by your beautiful future bride. You deserve the best and from what I can see you got it!

Heartfelt congratulations to you both.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Great story that you'll be able to pass on to the kids.
And yes, David is great to work with.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You put a lot of thought and preparation into your proposal - very well done. I'll add my congratulations and best wishes for many happy years together!

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post