SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about an electric razor
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about an electric razor Login/Join 
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted
I have had, and used Norelco electric razors in the past and liked them. When the last one wouldn't hold a charge anymore, it wasn't even worth it to me to buy a new head anymore. Spent the last 10 years shaving with a blade, but now wish to return to electric again. I see no need to wet shave with one in the shower, so that newer to me feature is not needed.

Tell me about your favorite electric razors, so that I can compare before purchasing.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
If you are okay with a foil design, my barber uses one of these. I have the beard trimmer and it’s awesome. The foil shaves my head super well.

BaByliss Pro Foil

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Mother nature keeps a significant portion of my head bald! Roll Eyes I need a razor just for my face.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
If you are okay with a foil design, my barber uses one of these. I have the beard trimmer and it’s awesome. The foil shaves my head super well.

BaByliss Pro Foil

I just read the description of that razor on their website. I see it is suitable for faces and necks. When you said you shaved your head with it, I just assumed it was more of a barbers tool to shave heads with. Do you know anyone who shaves their face with it?

posted Hide Post
I have been a Norelco user for decades now. I tried the foil shavers, but they were just not for me. I can't imagine using anything other that a Norelco.

Posts: 6600 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Also a happy Norelco user. Been rocking one for two years, still going strong. Gave up on foil shavers, I end up breaking them.

I do think they marketeer electric shavers that by the time they need maintenance (heads wear out, battery stops charging) it's just cheaper to buy a new one. What a racket.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Norelco (three head deal) for a few decades. Not the same one, but various different models though out the years and they have all preformed pretty well for me. I don't have a heavy beard, but the hairs are pretty thick. Used with an electric preshave it does a decent job although problem areas like the neck and chin take quite a few strokes to mow down. I shave once a week with a blade razor and get really close so if there's a few stray uncooperative whiskers, they get their due.

I did blade shave every day when I was in the corporate work arena. Good close shave that looked sharp with a white shirt and tie, but I don't think I'd enjoy going back to that. Electric is close enough these days especially since my beard is white. One nice thing about the electrics is you can shave and drive if you're in a hurry.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
This Philips/Norelco I got recently seems to work well enough for not a lot of money. https://www.amazon.com/Philips...st_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1 The pop-up trimmer is handy for eyebrows, sideburns and … other. It can be used wet, but I haven't tried it. However, compared to blades and soap/cream, it gives a "just OK" shave. It does say in the instructions that it takes some time to get "used to." It does seem to improve as I use it more.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I only use am electric on those mornings when I forgot to shave after my evening shower the night before. For those occasions, I like my Panasonic.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I've had very good luck with Brauns.

My first one was a gift in 1990 and I am on my 3rd one that I bought ~2 years ago. This is the current series I am using:

https://us.braun.com/en-us/mal...ers-for-men/series-9

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I actually find that a good rotary shaver can give as close a shave as blade-shaving, but it takes a little more work. I have to work the thing fairly hard, which is why a foil shaver won't last with me.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

My first one was a gift in 1990 and I am on my 3rd one that I bought ~2 years ago. This is the current series I am using:

Eek $310 on Amazon! Eek

One would think that for that kind of money it would come into your room and shave you before you woke up!

Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

Eek $310 on Amazon! Eek

One would think that for that kind of money it would come into your room and shave you before you woke up!

Yikes. I did not pay anything like that when I bought mine. It was about 2 years ago and I believe it was about $180. As I recall it was cheaper at Walmart.com vs Amazon.

$196 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Braun-E...id=1581288738&sr=8-6

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do check out Panasonic.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^ This! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Recently bought a Remington. I’m not too happy with it. My old Norelco was better. Good ones aren’t cheap these days.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Here is the most recent Consumer Reports summary:

It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I grew up using Norelcos, but about 20 years ago I switched to Braun and have been very happy with them.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1677 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I think a lot depends on how heavy your beard is. I'm fair-haired and light-skinned, so once a day is enough, and five minutes does it. I've had Norelco and Braun, and Braun just wins every time. My first Braun lasted over 20 years, and my current Braun S3 couldn't be better!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
When my previous Norelco bit the dust after many years, I walked into Walmart and bought a cheap Norelco to replace it.

I think it was around fifty bucks, for a rechargeable cordless. Works fine.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post