SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thinking about an electric razor
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking about an electric razor Login/Join 
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Panasonic has been by far the best shaver I've ever used. I have a thick beard and sensitive skin, yippee. Hyper-velocity motor 14,000 cuts per minute, wet or dry shaving. It's great and only $85.
https://smile.amazon.com/Panas...+%2Caps%2C267&sr=8-7

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
I have a Panasonic, used the same one for probably a decade. It's a foil shaver, I prefer it over the rotary style. I used to have a Braun, which I also liked. I shave both face and head with it.

One thing important to me - I wanted a "locked off" button. I travel, and have had the shaver turn itself on in my luggage before. This is a feature that is surprisingly rare.

ETA - mine is the one adobesig linked to above.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I've always wondered about a Braun, even when I was using Norelco's. My wife found a Braun S5 5147S at Kohl's that she can get for $86.40. The exact same razor on Amazon costs $166.88, she is ordering it for me as I type this.

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my Braun with the cleaning station. The cleaning fluid helps it cut better as it keeps the head clean of oils and such.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Been shaving my head with a razor for 25+ years. Switched to an $70-80 cordless Norelco 2 years ago. Shaves almost as close/good enough. For the time being I no longer want a shiny bald head so do my head with Andis clippers. Use the Norelco for shaving my neck about every 3 days (I have a beard). Then, about once a month I used the razor on my neck to keep the beard neck line sharp.

Update: Hope the Braun works out.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Best of luck with the Braun.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always wanted an electric razor that worked. I have purchased many over the years. I think they shave poorly. I think everyone has their own definition of a good shave. Never had an electric of any brand that gave me what a consider a close shave.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I use a Braun Series 7. It holds a charge well, easy to clean and provides a good close shave. The blade cartridge is replaceable.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I retired 5 years ago and ceased the daily shaving routine. Now I shave about every other or third day. When I do shave, I alternate between a blade and a Norelco that I bought at Costco. There my be better electrics out there but the Norelco is just fine with me.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After my heart attacks I switched from a blade to a Braun 7 series and was disappointed with the results. I put it away after I was off most of the heavy duty blood thinners and switched back to a blade until a month ago when I had serious cervical surgery that keeps me in a brace. The electric came back out but still doesn't perform nearly as well as a blade. Granted I didn't experiment with a whole lot of brands and models after doing serious research and settling on a Braun; just be prepared for less stellar results than a blade.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond they usually have a 20% off coupon you can apply to a purchase. I have the Braun Series 9 and think I paid $160 for it after the 20% off (a couple of years ago).

I've had Norelco and Panasonic. This is my 2nd Braun and no comparison.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Love my Panasonic wet/dry

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Going on 18 months now

Posts: 5302 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Thanks guys, I've always wondered about a Braun, even when I was using Norelco's. My wife found a Braun S5 5147S at Kohl's that she can get for $86.40. The exact same razor on Amazon costs $166.88, she is ordering it for me as I type this.

Be aware the price difference is because one has no cleaning station, if that is important
to you.
Hope this helps, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack830:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

Be aware the price difference is because one has no cleaning station, if that is important
to you.
Hope this helps, Jack

Not true, Amazon's does not include a cleaning station on this razor for $166.88
https://www.amazon.com/Braun-5...s%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-4

Posts: 13668 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
https://www.kohls.com/product/...earch=web-ta-keyword

My wife shops at Kohl's frequently, instead of 20% off she got 30% off, plus the 15 %, for a total of 45%, or there abouts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Braun S5 5147S

My only intent was to point out the above had no
cleaning station. But you already knew that.
Regards, Jack

Posts: 360 | Location: West Palm Beach | Registered: March 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Back in the day when I used an electric shaver, I used Braun. It was much smoother and less irritating than Norelco.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
After using a Norelco rotary head for ~15 years, changed a couple years ago to a Braun and love it. This model was a little pricy, but the charging stand and the cleaning mechanism is awesome. Only go through a couple of those refills per year, so the cost isn't that great and worth it IMNSHO not to have to clean, rinse, drop all the bits when cleaning from time to time. And probably not often enough for best performance - but this one reminds you when it's due, about once a week for me.

Linky

Keep in mind that when you go back to an electric to give it a month or so for your face to get used to it and for best results. I hear friends bitching about not being happy with results after two times or, like some above, swapping back and forth and being confused when both methods become an issue.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
Norelco for me for the past 20 years! Smooth shave and no razor burn!

Posts: 3396 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Don't think I've seen Wahl mentioned.

Over the years I've had numerous beard trimmers and a couple clippers. The only ones that have and continue to last (well over a decade) are Wahl made. Granted not electric shavers but Wahl makes those too.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post