SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Do We Think of the New Honda Goldwing
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Do We Think of the New Honda Goldwing Login/Join 
Picture of ridewv
posted
I really like what they've done taking 90 pounds of weight off, sleeker and better looking, better mpg, trick wishbone front suspension, available 7-speed DCT, electric windshield finally, etc.

Make mine a basic DCT version without the trunk.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/...honda-goldwing-2018/

http://www.hondaprokevin.com/2...okyo-motor-show-news

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Looks good. I like it.

I rode a friend's GL1500 in the early 90's.
I can still remember the sensation.

At a stop sign you knew you were balancing a huge bike, but once it started rolling...wow.
Smooth, smooth, smooth. Tons of torque, power, and the fairing gave the rider a calm pocket of air to help make the ride truly enjoyable.

I seriously thought about buying one, but never did.

Posts: 1780 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I don't ride anymore, but I was a Honda guy when I did. That new GW is bad-arse!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1163 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I'm not into touring, preferring day rides, but if I were, a 'wang would be my go-to machine.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
The double wishbone front suspension looks remarkably like the Telelever suspension on my BMW R1200R!

More of a parallelogram whereby as the suspension compresses, the wheelbase stays constant.

Also, under braking the front end does not dive.

Overall, if I was to get a highway cruiser in this category, the new Goldwing would be my first choice.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$26,700 to $30,000.

Uh, no I'll pass.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
I have a 1995 1500 wing and love everything until it's time to work on it. It takes forever to get all that ABS Plastic off to get to the problem.
New one looks sleek but waaaaay to expensive for my taste!

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1113 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Have no interest in any motorcycle that weighs over 700 pounds. Around town, parking lots some of these highway bikes are just too much for me. To bad they didn't go back to a 4 cylinder to lose a bunch more weight.

If I get another highway bike it would be something like the FJR1300A. They have a sporter feel to them.

Posts: 2678 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
If it has a reverse gear, it's a two-wheel car.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31419 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know much of anything about bikes but that's stunning looking.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been riding Goldwings for many years. Reducing the gas tank capacity by a gallon is not good news. Reducing the overall volume of the bags and tour pack is terrible news. Moving the saddle slightly forward, resulting in an even more sport riding position than the current 1800 is just a bad idea. A beautiful machine, yes, but not what makes a great touring bike.

Posts: 785 | Location: Eastern Ma. | Registered: November 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
While fuel capacity was reduced by 1.1 gallon fuel milage has increased by 20% with the new 4V motor so it still has the same range.

I'm anxious to at least sit on the new one.

Posts: 7070 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It looks more motorcyle-y than they did for a while. That is good. And that is a nice weight reduction.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
If it has a reverse gear, it's a two-wheel car.

They have for quite a while.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The specifications weren't quite clear: does it come standard with the side bagger, the rear bagger AND and the mulching options ? ....or are those extra cost?

It certainly has a lot more horsepower than the Toro!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I had 88 1500 loved that bike the improvements since then on the bike is amazing. But this brings it to a whole new level. I love the new styling, and would love to test drive the DCT.

I bet by this post you can tell what I feel about the Goldwing! Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4829 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
....I love the new styling, and would love to test drive the DCT.

I bet by this post you can tell what I feel about the Goldwing! Big Grin

I can attest that DCT is wonderful on the Africa Twin I'm sure it's just as slick or even better on the new Wing.

posted Hide Post
I think it looks sharp. But I will echo an earlier poster who said it was heavy. Agree. And I know the long distance crowd likes a heavy bike. Just not for me.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Two more wheels and side impact airbags and they could call it the Goldwing CE. Civic Edition.

Honda has always impressed me with how much stuff they can cram onto the Goldwing, but it's that precise reason the Goldwing has never interested me. The new one looks nice and I'm sure there are people who appreciate what it has to offer. Maybe someday when I grow up it will be my kind of motorcycle. That hasn't happened in my first 49 years, but who knows?

Posts: 10899 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
the long distance crowd likes a heavy bike.
Well over 800 pounds. Of course, they quote it in kilograms, so it doesn't sound so heavy, at "only" 379 k.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30633 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post