SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Decent-Quality Golf- / Polo-Style Shirts?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent-Quality Golf- / Polo-Style Shirts? Login/Join 
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Eddie Bauer. Lifetime warranty. Come in tall sizes. There's a store at the outlet in Leeds. Pretty much all I wear. Jeans and shorts too.

Seconded. The tall sizes mean Eddie Bauer polos fit me better than most others I've tried.

They periodically have good sales, too. Just bought 4 more yesterday at an outlet for under 50 bucks.

There stuff shrinks pretty bad in my experience. The large talls don't stay that way for long at least in the tshirts. Have yet to buy their polos because of it.

It's necro time!

I was reminded of this thread, because my most recent Eddie Bauer polos have all been shrinking a lot. Much more than they ever used to.

The batch I wrote about in my last post shrank so bad, as an experiment the next time I encountered a sale I bought a few more- except I used to buy Large-Tall and this time I bought XL-Tall.

The new XL-Talls shrank a lot, which means they now fit great.

I've been wearing Eddie Bauer polos for what, 15 years or so? They're cotton, which shrinks. But for most of that time, they didn't shrink much. The most recent ones shrink like *crazy*.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
In non-tech wear, the regular classic ones from Ralph Lauren / Polo have outlasted most every other brand I've tried. I have a few that are 20+ years old and in perfect shape. These are the heavier cotton ones that have a texture to them, not the lighter, smoother, softer ones.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Duluth
UA
LL Bean
LAPG
Galls
Polo
Orvis
And I wait like a buzzard for a sale.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Apologies if mentioned...

St. John's Bay polos from JC Penney.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Polo brand golf shirt that is in navy and made from totally synthetic fibers and on the thin side. It is AMAZING, after at least 20 washes it still looks brand new, feels great, and is just awesome material. Denali also makes some really nice ones.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
I have a ton of Greg Norman polos because Costco sold them cheap. Good quality.

I bought one Costco Kirkland brand shirt...and that's the last one I'll buy.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Champion C9, from Target. Extremely comfortable, wash easy, can't beat the price.

Posts: 1307 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
Donald Ross brand ( http://donaldross.com/). These are the best shirts for golf I have ever owned. They don't fade in the sun or shrink. Very pricey though; I only buy one per season, and it lasts for years.

Nice looking stuff cne32507. Looking for a source in my area.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I have three UnderArmor and two 5.11. I like the UnderArmor feel better, but if they get stained, it'll never come out.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I have many moisture-wicking polyester golf shirts. Nike, adidas, UA, etc - they're all the same to me. I try them on and get the ones that fit my body and budget. PGA Tour and Greg Norman are two brands I often see priced affordably at places like Costco and Sam's.

If the shirt is honestly designed for golf, it will have a looser fit conducive to a high range of motion, i.e., a golf swing. It will have sleeves that rest comfortably between the elbow and armpit. A polo shirt from a place like H&M or Banana Republic is more likely to have a tighter fit and shorter sleeves, b/c that is what's trendy right now.

I hardly ever wear cotton polos anymore. The polyester golf shirts are so much more comfortable and easier to care for.

If you live in area that has Academy Sports & Outdoors, their Magellan Voyager shirts are worth checking out.

I agree with most of this, however, golf shirts are generally more fitted these days, and in some cases very fitted, so you'll need to try them on. I used to buy 100% cotton, but the synthetics just plain perform on every level. My favorites include spandex in the blend and, as a result, have a lot of stretch in the fabric making them incredibly comfortable. Adidas, Nike, and Cutter & Buck are my favorites brands.

Never had much luck with UA, generally too sheer and shiny, or Greg Norman, which don't hold their shape well after a few washings. As for price, I resist buying in pro shops, and have good luck on Amazon and Ebay at a fraction of the cost.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post