SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Decent-Quality Golf- / Polo-Style Shirts?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent-Quality Golf- / Polo-Style Shirts? Login/Join 
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, but here's my recommendation. USA made:

King Louie - Crest polo

Todd

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all - I'll be sampling these recommendations over the coming weeks - have already placed an order on one!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Eddie Bauer. Lifetime warranty. Come in tall sizes. There's a store at the outlet in Leeds. Pretty much all I wear. Jeans and shorts too.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
West Marine, Old Navy and back when you could get them Champs and Footlocker brands. I'm wearing a West Marine that's at least 3-5 years old now that still looks new.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My work issues 5.11 cotton blend shirts, and they wear well. I've been on my original three shirts for three plus years, and they still look good and haven't stretched out of shape

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear polos nearly every day and used to travel full time so good polos are a staple item in my wardrobe

I highly recommend Ogio - yep same company as the backpacks - they are my go to polo I found by accident after visiting a print shop with the wife to pick up some custom items for work and they had samples there - I tried one on and I was hooked immediately and ordered one of each color - fit and feel is fantastic - they wear well - don't wrinkle, and I can roll them up and stuff them in a large backpack for a weeks travel and they are good to go

I bought from the print shop but you can get them online like Galls or Amazon

I also love my Eddie Bauer [Travex I think they are iirc, not the plain cotton]and a few Under Armour but Ogio is the first choice now for me

Ogio Polo 2.0 [OG101]

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Land's End. They have sales all the time and a nice selection of colors. Very well made and the collars keep their shape.

Posts: 702 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
[Thread drift]To get the collars to lay properly, button the top button. Turn the shirt inside out. Extend collar.

They will now lay properly after washing and not be all curled up. [/thread drift]

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Duluth

These, both the "No Polo" cotton, but I especially like the cool fabric polo's.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Under Armor, heat gear, for summer wear. I upsize to xl because it like my shirts loose. I also buy at the "outlet" stores, last years fashion and colors at a discount. but hey, I am 62! comfort over fashion always wins.

ymmv
john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I honestly like Foundry by JC Penny's as a cheap option. When I was in the field, I was pretty hard on polos and so $14-20 for a polo that lasts a while was quite a deal.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Just a quick update. My first order of two shirts from Duluth arrived last week and are excellent. I will be sampling some of the other suggestions, but these Duluth shirts are definitely a winner.

Thanks again, all, for the help!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
I honestly like Foundry by JC Penny's as a cheap option. When I was in the field, I was pretty hard on polos and so $14-20 for a polo that lasts a while was quite a deal.

These are pretty good especially if you need tall sizes.
Though the BEST are LL Bean Double L premium Polos for a few bucks more. They are wrinkle resistant so a quick dryer shot and they look great. But the best part of all is they have a little thicker band of fabric in the collar and sleeve end that they don't roll and keep their shape without ironing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have many moisture-wicking polyester golf shirts. Nike, adidas, UA, etc - they're all the same to me. I try them on and get the ones that fit my body and budget. PGA Tour and Greg Norman are two brands I often see priced affordably at places like Costco and Sam's.

If the shirt is honestly designed for golf, it will have a looser fit conducive to a high range of motion, i.e., a golf swing. It will have sleeves that rest comfortably between the elbow and armpit. A polo shirt from a place like H&M or Banana Republic is more likely to have a tighter fit and shorter sleeves, b/c that is what's trendy right now.

I hardly ever wear cotton polos anymore. The polyester golf shirts are so much more comfortable and easier to care for.

If you live in area that has Academy Sports & Outdoors, their Magellan Voyager shirts are worth checking out.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Eddie Bauer. Lifetime warranty. Come in tall sizes. There's a store at the outlet in Leeds. Pretty much all I wear. Jeans and shorts too.

Seconded. The tall sizes mean Eddie Bauer polos fit me better than most others I've tried.

They periodically have good sales, too. Just bought 4 more yesterday at an outlet for under 50 bucks.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
UA is my favorite

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
I was just putting folded clothes away yesterday and ticked off mentally how well my 5.11 cotton polos have held up. I've an UA and some other wicking one I got as a Taser dealer. No comparison. Pretty happy with my 5.11's.

Posts: 11223 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Seconded. The tall sizes mean Eddie Bauer polos fit me better than most others I've tried.

They periodically have good sales, too. Just bought 4 more yesterday at an outlet for under 50 bucks.

There stuff shrinks pretty bad in my experience. The large talls don't stay that way for long at least in the tshirts. Have yet to buy their polos because of it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
I really like UA. For summer wear anyway. LL Bean are very nice.

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Donald Ross brand ( http://donaldross.com/). These are the best shirts for golf I have ever owned. They don't fade in the sun or shrink. Very pricey though; I only buy one per season, and it lasts for years.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post