SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Decent-Quality Golf- / Polo-Style Shirts?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decent-Quality Golf- / Polo-Style Shirts? Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
For those who wear them, what are your sources for quality shirts of this type? To clarify, I play neither golf nor polo - I guess I just dress like I do. Smile

It seems that most shirts of the type are flimsily-constructed and/or have sleeves that, while short by design, are TOO short - they look and feel ridiculous (to me) when the sleeves aren't reaching close to the elbow.

I realize - this is truly a first-world fashion crisis I have here. Smile

I like these shirts for everything from work to wearing them untucked for concealed carry. I have an aging stash of "good" shirts that I need to find replacements for.

Two of my favorite shirts of this type, both of a medium-heavy weight cotton, came from none other than the SIG-Sauer shop and from my son's former high-school band (sold to the parent volunteers).

Thanks for any and all direction!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Costco, believe it or not.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Duluth

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by H&K-Guy:
Costco, believe it or not.

H&K-Guy

I do believe it! Some of the sturdiest casual clothing I have came from Sam's Club, they just haven't had the shirts I'm seeking. May be time to check out their competition. Smile

Many thanks!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Duluth

I should have thought of them! I've been traipsing around their site looking at other stuff and didn't think to check for these shirts - thank you!

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
quote:
Duluth

I should have thought of them! I've been traipsing around their site looking at other stuff and didn't think to check for these shirts - thank you!

Duluth polo's are well made and wear like iron.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
quote:
Duluth

Duluth polo's are well made and wear like iron.

I think I'm about to grab one to check out. May also do a temporary or guest membership at the local Costco (assuming they still offer those) and grab a shirt there as well.

Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
I like Under Armour polos.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The only casual polos I wear are 100% cotton ones from Duluth Trading and 5.11.

Duluth Trading's cotton "No Polo" is my preference from among Duluth's offerings. Just note that Duluth's shirts are sized overly large, so you may need to order a size down to keep from swimming in it. Luckily, their exchange process is great if you end up ordering the wrong size.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/s...lo-shirts/56265.aspx

I also have a couple of Duluth's cotton "Longtail Tee" polos, which are more like thicker t-shirt material than traditional polo material. The material is softer and feels a bit more comfortable, but I don't like them as much, because the collar is flimsy and they wrinkle more easily. http://www.duluthtrading.com/s...lo-shirts/76701.aspx

From 5.11, I specifically like their 100% Cotton "Professional Polo". Nearly all of their other polos are poly or cotton/poly, and aren't as comfortable or durable.
http://www.511tactical.com/pro...lo-short-sleeve.html

Unfortunately, 5.11's quality has gone down in the past couple years. The newer Professional Polos I've bought aren't quite as well-made as the older ones I have. The older 5.11 Professional Polos are my favorite polo shirts overall.

I also have a number of 5.11's polyester polos, which are issued as part of our soft uniform. They're marginally cooler in hot weather than the cotton version, but they're much thinner/flimsier, and aren't as well-made as the cotton Professional Polos. Plus the thin poly material tends to hug your body, so they wouldn't be a good choice as a concealment garment.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SJS
posted Hide Post
Greg Norman shirts have served me well.

SJS

Posts: 682 | Location: NC | Registered: January 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I wear the heck out of 5.11 synthetics. I can wad them up and shove them in a suitcase and they come out ready to wear. They are substantial fabric and nicely breathable.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of polos, that's my primary travel type of shirt.

Tommy Bahama I've found to my liking, I'm more partial to their casual collection Relax, over their regular assortment, which tends to be targeted to the 50+ age group.

Go to any golf shop, they usually will have a range of good-better-best assortment of brands, especially if you're looking for a synthetic or, blended fabrics for humid conditions.

The North Face Horizon Polo I have about 5 of these. They come in a lot more colors than what's available on their website. Simple, basic synthetic material that is soft enough and durable enough.

Ibex VT Polo, I've got about 4 of these, good all-purpose Merino wool polos. If I know the weather will change from chilly to nice (or, reverse) or, I'm flying and the airplane gets too cold, having that soft Merino wool, will just keep me warm enough without having to throw on too many layers. It's Merino so, it'll be spendy but they look nice, and you can look dressed-up without much effort. If you like polo's a black Merino wool polo should be in your closet.

You find a good one, stick with it, and pick-up new colors as the season changes.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Duluth

I really like mine, but I will say, the best fitting polo shirt I ever had was an Eddie Bauer shirt. They didn't make them like that again.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38675 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
I like Under Armour polos.

I bought a pair of those when Costco had 'em. They're terrific.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Mostly Brooks Brothers and Polo. I also like Bobby Jones brand and Peter Millar.

Of course, I also would toss any shirt that sleeves hung past the middle of my biceps. Elbow is way too long.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fairway and Greene are excellent,although they look a little fruity this year.
Greg Norman and Peter Millar are high quality and last.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Galls. Best polos on the planet. They have a "wicking" polo that is fantastic in the heat.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Polo brand. I have one of a lightweight Under armor type material that has worn extremely well, is a lightweight fabric and amazingly comfortable. It's a Polo performance shirt, and has a wicking type material......it doesn't wrinkle and is awesome. The denali dry wicking shirts are nice too.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't have any recommendations, I buy mine wherever I happen to be and see they're on sale.

But I am surprised you want your sleeves to be close to your elbows. The ideal golf shirt sleeve length for me would be anywhere close to the middle between my armpit and my elbow.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Ask, and the members of this Forum deliver - thank you all for the comments here!

As for the sleeve length, I don't have enough "gun" in the upper arms to feel good with a "shorter" short sleeve. Granted, I don't want the sleeves extending down the forearm, either haha..