SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New smartphone alert app for CA earthquakes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New smartphone alert app for CA earthquakes Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I just got this for my iPhone.

“QuakeAlertUSA is now available for free on iOS and Android phones for those in the Golden State, where seismologists say a 'ground-rupturing' quake is well overdue.

The app has been created by Early Warning Labs and uses data from hundreds of earthquake sensors set up across California by the government's US Geological Survey.

Once the US Geological Survey determines the size and whereabouts of a quake, the app is instantly able to calculate the exact amount of time until its user will feel the impact - so long as the location settings are activated on their smartphone.

The user's phone will then shake (or vibrate) and begin counting down the seconds until the quake hits, allowing them time to prepare and take cover…”

https://mol.im/a/8000191

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How is this any different than existing quake apps, like ShakeAlert and MyShake?

Hope it actually works, one of those apps never sent out an alert despite multiple low-level but, felt shakers in SoCal last year.

Posts: 14652 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
From what I gather:

QuakeAlertUSA (Early Warning Labs):
  • Uses U.S. Geological Survey’s ShakeAlert system
  • Countdown before shaking
  • Individually tailor when the app is triggered — for weak, light or moderate shaking.

MyShake (UC Berkeley)

ShakeAlertLA (City of Los Angeles)

(I'm currently using MyShake, which was the first in CA.)

EDIT: Just downloaded QuakeAlertUSA. I like it. I may switch.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
At 7:03pm PDT this evening my home was rattled by a quake.

QuakeAlert didn’t peep, even though I have it set to report even light quakes. It’s NFG.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
At 7:53pm PDT
? It's only 7:05. I don't think the software can detect future events.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16337 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
At 7:53pm PDT
? It's only 7:05. I don't think the software can detect future events.

Thanks. I just fixed my typo.

“M 4.9 - 17km ESE of Anza, CA”

Serious about crackers

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I think that quake was originally reported at 3. QuakeAlert won't alert you unless it's higher.

You can check your sensitivity setting in "Earthquake Notifications" from the menu.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Well we felt that one in Scripps Ranch.
Guess I’ll download your app.

Posts: 18053 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post