SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Son Applying to VMI
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son Applying to VMI Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
My eldest son is applying to VMI. I am extremely proud that he has decided to serve and heartened that he will have the opportunity.

Any tips or suggestion for his up coming interview?

Thanks

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rob99vmi04
posted Hide Post
Does he shoot? VMI has a rifle team run by Col. Bither, they also have club shooting sports which I do not believe Rats can participate in. But they have a "Combat shooting team" 3-gun team. They also have a Trap and skeet team. My suggestion, he needs to stress he wants to serve in one of the 4 branches. Joining the National Guard or Reserves and going to boot camp prior will give him legs up above the competition.

END TRANSMISSION................

Posts: 540 | Location: NOVA | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For gods sake tell him not to bring up proficiency, or interest, in a musical instrument. I ended up in band company and made the rifle team rat year. All kinds of grief due to missing rat training due to those activities.

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rob99vmi04
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stretchdeputy1:
For gods sake tell him not to bring up proficiency, or interest, in a musical instrument. I ended up in band company and made the rifle team rat year. All kinds of grief due to missing rat training due to those activities.

I communicate with the Comm staff on a pretty regular basis, IIRC now all permit rats have to due rat challenge.

Posts: 540 | Location: NOVA | Registered: August 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rob99vmi04
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rob99vmi04:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stretchdeputy1:

I was Ball bustin Bravo. I shot on the rifle team at VMI. It lead me to working in the firearms industry for the last 13 years. I communicate with the Comm staff on a pretty regular basis, IIRC now all permit rats have to due rat challenge.

http://www.washingtontimes.com...-years-jail-unregis/

posted Hide Post
Has he thought about applying for an ROTC scholarship? I don't know if things have changed since I graduated high school ('01) but if you were awarded an ROTC scholarship, you were automatically accepted into VMI.

I received an Air Force ROTC scholarship, and had contacted VMI about getting information but had not officially sent in my application yet when I received a letter in the mail from them saying I had been accepted due to the scholarship.

Thats all the help I have. Don't have any info on an interview or anything else for that matter Razz

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Dad, I know you must be proud.

IF and only If he is interested in rifle team, continue reading. Drift warning.

Have him investigate Texas A&M, and their Corp program. They have over 2000 members who have chosen the Corps life at A&M, proving they are self motivated and driven young men and women.

Their Corps of Cadets Marksmanship rifle program is on a multi year winning streak. They are now receiving recruits who are coming to this program due to their proven success and their interest in shooting competitively. More at COCMU.com.
They were featured recently in the 2017 Glock Annual since they shoot Glock 34's in their tactical competition and continue to win.

Coach Jimmerson has put together a great progam in 5 years.

Good luck to your son whatever he chooses.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If he REALLY wants a career as a military officer, he should apply to one of the service academies. I'm pretty sure they go to front of the line for everything when they are actually in the military.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rob99vmi04
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KShooter:
Has he thought about applying for an ROTC scholarship? I don't know if things have changed since I graduated high school ('01) but if you were awarded an ROTC scholarship, you were automatically accepted into VMI.

I received an Air Force ROTC scholarship, and had contacted VMI about getting information but had not officially sent in my application yet when I received a letter in the mail from them saying I had been accepted due to the scholarship.

Thats all the help I have. Don't have any info on an interview or anything else for that matter Razz

Once he gets in he can do a 3 year or a 2.5 year also. A lot of cadets do the guard, because they get Federal and State money.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
He could join the USCG Academy, they also have shooting teams.

you do need to know how to swim though...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11281 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is VMI?

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rob99vmi04
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:

Virginia Military Institute

Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Ah ok thank you.

Congrats to your son Fenris.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rob99vmi04
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rob99vmi04:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jus228:

Virginia Military Institute

George C. Marshall College.
Patton went to VMI for one year.

Non Nobis Solum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
My eldest son is applying to VMI. I am extremely proud that he has decided to serve and heartened that he will have the opportunity.

Any tips or suggestion for his up coming interview?

Thanks

I've prepared a bunch of candidates for VMI when I worked at my last school. Dress well, wear a tie and blazer or a suit. Be on time but not more than 10 mins early. Be prepared to articulate why me and why is VMI for me. VMI has a ton of awesome history read up on the basics before going. Be prepared to take notes.

The interview is a great thing to feel out for him whether VMI is the right choice. If your son is an athlete ask to meet with the coach. They have some solid athletic programs and great facilities.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 3616 | Location: Charlottesville, VA | Registered: May 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I went to VMI for one full year. I had an ROTC scholarship from the Navy. My first choice was the Naval Academy, but by the way I spectacularlyflunked calculus and lost my scholarship, I probably would not have succeeded. My parents could not afford the out-of-state tuition. So to Community College I went.

The first year is hard, No Doubt. I would just recommend that he digs in and studies hard. If he wants to Commission, he will have the opportunity to talk to the different branches while he is there. But not a bad idea to ask ahead.

Then again, also not a bad idea to do a good job his first year and apply to a service Academy, if that's what he really wants.

And tell him to stay away from those Radford girls. The Washington and Lee cuties are okay though.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Citadel grad...

Knowledge/Discussion of the Citizen Soldier is a good topic.

These State Military Academies give students the opportunity to test the military waters and see if that path would serve them in their future career path.

The influence of the institution diminishes in relationship to the distance. So, if he's looking for a job in Colorado...... there will be very little consideration to his Alma Mater.

Good on him for considering the Path Less Traveled.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post