SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Web crawlers excluded from SigForum?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Web crawlers excluded from SigForum? Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Sometimes, when searching the web for something, a post from various forums, including some firearms forums, is found by google. But I don’t recall google finding any SigForum posts, even though there’s lots of interesting stuff here. Is there some mechanism that prevents web crawlers from finding SigForum posts?

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I see SF posts all the time googling.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think not: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22pipe+s...+site%3Asigforum.com

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I think not: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22pipe+s...+site%3Asigforum.com

Thanks. Neat effect, there!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Same here, in fact Google seems to work better (for me) than the search engine built in to Sigforum. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I found Sig Forum by a search for "What is IPSC". Found not only the single most informative bit on the topic I've seen but found you guys, picked a stupid screen name, got in a fight with Honda, got yelled at by Parabellum and figured I'd found a home. First series of posts actually.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Sometimes, when searching the web for something, a post from various forums, including some firearms forums, is found by google. But I don’t recall google finding any SigForum posts, even though there’s lots of interesting stuff here. Is there some mechanism that prevents web crawlers from finding SigForum posts?
A Canadian organization that grabbed up a bunch of US gun forums paid for SEO, meaning they paid Google and other search engines to have their results put to the top, and yes, for the past few months, maybe a year, this has been the case.

I just haven't bothered to do anything about it. SIGforum has never had to resort to such chickenshit tactics. Our success came through interest in the forum's content. We've put on quite a show over the years.
Others, however, had to shell out money to people to knock us off the top of SIG-related searches. They paid for their conspicuousness. I'll leave the decisions about the ethics of that up to you guys.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I found Sig forum by googling for P228 info and then found Sig forum "factoids" thanks to Google and thanks for Sig forum factoids, great information.

Posts: 1540 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:

Same here. And, I discovered sigforum when I searched for "Sig 239 9mm" back in 2007.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10696 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You're gonna have to trust me on this, guys. I watched it happen.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
A Canadian organization that grabbed up a bunch of US gun forums paid for SEO, meaning they paid Google and other search engines to have their results put to the top, ...

Sounds like VerticalScope. They've been buying-up web forums right-and-left. Usually results in a distinct decline in the site's overall quality, IMO & IME. Don't like them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Same here, in fact Google seems to work better (for me) than the search engine built in to Sigforum. Eek

Blasphemy. Somebody get a rope.

Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
A Canadian organization that grabbed up a bunch of US gun forums paid for SEO, meaning they paid Google and other search engines to have their results put to the top, ...

Sounds like VerticalScope. They've been buying-up web forums right-and-left. Usually results in a distinct decline in the site's overall quality, IMO & IME. Don't like them.

What is the business model of that type of business ? I don't understand it.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8634 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
quote:
quote:

What is the business model of that type of business ? I don't understand it.
Selling ad space.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, a foreign entity, buying up American gun forums so they can make money off of visitors to those forums. Isn't that just dandy? It was very disappointing to see these former owners sell off their forums to these money-grubbing interlopers.

I've turned down every offer I've had to sell this place, and there have been plenty of such offers. They can all go pound sand. I'll turn this place into a smoking hole in the ground before I sell to people who don't give the first damn about firearms or the Second Amendment.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, a foreign entity, buying up American gun forums so they can make money off of visitors to those forums. Isn't that just dandy? It was very disappointing to see these former owners sell off their forums to these money-grubbing interlopers.

I've turned down every offer I've had to sell this place, and there have been plenty of such offers. They can all go pound sand. I'll turn this place into a smoking hole in the ground before I sell to people who don't give the first damn about firearms or the Second Amendment.

Thank you.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para.

SigForum is a refuge and I appreciate it.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Para.

I wish more forum owners cared about their forums and membership like that.

E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Chief!

I hope you know how much the Forum membership values you and this place you have created.

Thank you.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post