SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is the better set of Ear Buds?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the better set of Ear Buds? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Whoever designed them has clearly never seen There is Something About Mary.

Not a big fan of RomCons, as a rule. (But I liked Along Came Polly and this one has Cameron Diaz, so...)

quote:
Absolute worst design ever and I just chuckle every time I see someone with them in.

Chuckle away. They're enormously popular and get very high grades from owners.

I don't think they'd work for me, because my lower concha (that's the part of the outer ear in which earbuds nest) is very large. Most earbuds don't fit firmly, for me, for that reason.

So what makes them "the worst design ever," in your opinion?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
My wife wanted wireless earbuds for her iPhone for Christmas. I did a lot of researched settled on these. They are Jabra Elite 65T.

i have a set of the 65T coming today if she is a runner and active outdoors i would spring for the active https://www.bestbuy.com/site/j...6201.p?skuId=6296201

if keep an eye out you should be able to get them on sale i got mine last Mon on amazon for 120.00

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
My wife wanted wireless earbuds for her iPhone for Christmas. I did a lot of researched settled on these. They are Jabra Elite 65T.

i have a set of the 65T coming today if she is a runner and active outdoors i would spring for the active https://www.bestbuy.com/site/j...6201.p?skuId=6296201

if keep an eye out you should be able to get them on sale i got mine last Mon on amazon for 120.00

I think that's what one of the owners at my gym has. He swears by 'em. (I ain't payin' nearly $200 for earbuds, tho.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a pair for $15 from Big Lots. They might not be high quality sound but who cares when your out running and sweat keeps dripping in your ear.

I would not hesitate to buy another pair if and when these go. For the price you cant go wrong.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Not a big fan of RomCons, as a rule. (But I liked Along Came Polly and this one has Cameron Diaz, so...)

quote:
Absolute worst design ever and I just chuckle every time I see someone with them in.

I don't think they'd work for me, because my lower concha (that's the part of the outer ear in which earbuds nest) is very large. Most earbuds don't fit firmly, for me, for that reason.

You’d have to see There Is Something About Mary and you would understand.

That is not hair gel.

But they are popular because they are Apple. Paint them black and put another brand on them their popularity would be much less.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
But they are popular because they are Apple. Paint them black and put another brand on them their popularity would be much less.

I guess Apple haters gonna hate

You know: It's just possible they're so popular because they work well.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking, earlier today, of how damn well our iStuff works. From tablets, to phones, to my Apple Watch. I came from the Android world. And I used to be an Apple doubter, myself.

Now, every time there's Yet Another Android or Google Play Store alert I just go "But for the Grace of Apple, there go I." And every time somebody bitches about Alphabet/Google's behaviour I thank my lucky stars I don't have to worry about that bullshit any more.

But keep hatin' Apple, cuz Apple.

posted Hide Post
Bose Freestyle....excellent

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

quote:

You’d have to see There Is Something About Mary and you would understand.

That is not hair gel.

I own about 5 different Bluetooth earbuds including Jabra, JBL, etc.... AirPods are by far the best. Not only are they the easiest to use and smartest as in how they communicate with your phone....they are also far and away the best talking on the phone. I can drive at 100 mph eight eh top down and everyone hears me crystal clear.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I guess Apple haters gonna hate

You know: It's just possible they're so popular because they work well.

Coincidentally, I was just thinking, earlier today, of how damn well our iStuff works. From tablets, to phones, to my Apple Watch. I came from the Android world. And I used to be an Apple doubter, myself.

Now, every time there's Yet Another Android or Google Play Store alert I just go "But for the Grace of Apple, there go I." And every time somebody bitches about Alphabet/Google's behaviour I thank my lucky stars I don't have to worry about that bullshit any more.

But keep hatin' Apple, cuz Apple.

I am far from an Apple hater. I have tons of their products and will buy many more.
Did not say they were necissarily a bad product just a poor design in my opinion.
I use the wired buds when I wear my hearing protection muffs.

For $150 there are far better sounding buds out there. But remove any Apple connection from them and I promise they would not be as popular.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have the Jaybird X3s. Got them about 3 years ago I think. They are still going strong. Only thing I had to do was order some replacement ear tip things that go over the driver that fits in your ear.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I own about 5 different Bluetooth earbuds including Jabra, JBL, etc.... AirPods are by far the best. Not only are they the easiest to use and smartest as in how they communicate with your phone....[bold]they are also far and away the best talking on the phone[/bold]. I can drive at 100 mph eight eh top down and everyone hears me crystal clear.

Also late to the party. But this is what I find the most challenging to get. Granted, my ears are 60 years old and sound quality is not as important to me.

I call this "noise cancelling", but I'm using the wrong term. What I want is a set of earbuds/ headset that will not transmit background noise to the person I'm talking to. The best I've found are the Blue Parrot ones, but they are an over-the-head headset with a boom mic, and are designed for truckers. I used to have a Jawbone earbud, but they don't make them any more. (They advertised them as having the same noise-cancelling circuitry used in helicopter headsets.) The Bose I have now has great sound quality, but on the phone, the person on the other end can hear everything around me.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3296 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Just to tag on I too am a huge fan of the Apple Airpods. I'm by no means an early adaptor of technology (I was still using an iPhone 5 until recently when I "upgraded" to a refurb SE model).

That said I did jump on board with these fairly early and can say that I will be one of the first to buy the Gen 2's whenever they come out. As noted they connect effortlessly and the interface with the phone is great. Love using them in the car where I can do most things with my phone via Siri commands. Keeps me focused on the road and connected (when I want/need to be).

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
FYI jarba 65t active fifty bucks off best buy and amazon

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent probably $300+ on various earbuds before finally settling on Apple's Airpods. The sound is awesome, but what puts them head and shoulders above everything else I tried is how well they work. They pair quickly, easily and consistently (none of the ridiculous and frustrating problems that other BT earbuds have), and they are superb in controlling your music--stopping, starting, resuming, changing volume, etc. Nothing else comes close in this regard. If I have them in and I see someone I want to talk to, I just take one of the Pods out and the music stops instantly. When I put the Pod back in, the music restarts automatically.

I never really considered them because none of the Apple wired earbuds will stay in my ears. However my son let me try his, and I found they stayed in my ears easily. The Airpods stay put even during vigorous workouts.

One last thing that I appreciate is their open design. I can be listening to loud music while jogging, yet still hear cars approaching, barking dogs, etc. I don't know how they do this, but they offer a terrific balance of providing sound without cutting you off completely from the outside world. These are expensive,but they are very very good.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maui19,

Posts: 117 | Registered: March 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just worked out for the first time with my new Jabra Elite Active 65t Earbuds. Rode twenty sweaty miles on the spin bike. Earbuds were paired with my iPod. They sound great!

Still $50 off at Amazon.

Posts: 2267 | Location: San Francisco, CA | Registered: February 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I swear by these. Both my son and I use them, and they hold up very well for working out/exercising. Hold a charge for about 6 hours of use.

I had to replace mine due to abuse, I'd just throw them back in my backpack after working out. Now I keep them in a small Tupperware container. I like the in the ear/behind the ear, it's almost impossible to pull them out unintentionally.

Fairly cheap, so if they get lost, it's not too big of a deal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I bought some Bose SoundSport Pulse BT buds. They are ridiculously hard to pair, and now don't seem to work at all. So yeah, would not recommend.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
Bose for 44 bucks

Link

I have a cheap Bluetooth set that uses the ear tips like these Bose. Has anyone seen wireless buds that use this style anywhere else. That's their "Stayhear" style tip not the newer Stayhear+.

My cheap ones never fall out under any type of activity, running, weight lifting, yard work.... But the battery has lost its staying power and only makes it about a half hour. I'm willing to upgrade but I don't want to spend $200 either. I've never had good luck with the bulb style buds and would prefer to stick with wireless.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I had a set branded by under amour. I couldn't work out with them. They kept falling out. What's a good set for activities?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I bought some Bose SoundSport Pulse BT buds. They are ridiculously hard to pair, and now don't seem to work at all. So yeah, would not recommend.

Send them back to Bose. I have several pairs of these in my household and this is highly unusual. Their CS is first rate, and they will take care of you.

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post