SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Price of a transponder extra key & fob @ Toyota..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price of a transponder extra key & fob @ Toyota.. Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
Eeee Gads ! Looking like $27.50 for the key, $104.00 for the programmed fob and, $108.00 service charge. Some racket they got going. Guess I will go to WalMart and buy just a door opener key hoping it does not set off the security system. That's what I did with my Park Ave so I always had keys in both pockets. Unless I can find a alternative for a transponder. Anyone know the science of programming a fob ?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they really get ya by the balls.

Just got a jeep wrangler key fob replaced for the excellent price of $300...

Absolutely crazy.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Yeah, they really get ya by the balls.

Just got a jeep wrangler key fob replaced for the excellent price of $300...

Absolutely crazy.
That is not right.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
If you have a key that is working, shop for a locksmith that will make them. Going this route will cut the cost tremendously.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Does they look like it might help?

https://www.instructables.com/...y-for-Toyota-Sienna/
Thank you. I see sets of 2 fobs new on Ebay but do I need a chipped key also ? Those sets say programming instructions included.

Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
I just had a key fob replaced, although it was at the dealer's expense.

My point being- they had a mobile guy come in who makes the rounds at several dealers doing keys. I am sure if you can find an outfit like this and deal with them directly, it would cost much less.

Posts: 7342 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
If this video looks like it will work, Toyota OEM remotes are available on Ebay for like $16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0RvPC-7bc

OEM remote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29125...m=&item=291255921532

I emailed the seller to see if they can provide instructions on how to program the transponder fob to your vehicle.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
In my view, this whole issue of getting new keys, etc, is nothing but a dealership (or should that be stealership?) rip off.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Luckily it wasn't the $250K key to your Koenigsegg Agera!
Most expensive keys

Seriously, all of them are very expensive now. Once you get into any from the motherland those are pretty absurd, in the $4-600 range with programming.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
If this video looks like it will work, Toyota OEM remotes are available on Ebay for like $16.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD0RvPC-7bc

OEM remote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29125...m=&item=291255921532

I emailed the seller to see if they can provide instructions on how to program the transponder fob to your vehicle.
That was so cool. It sure is actually easy to do.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Try Ace hardware. I had a new chip key made for my 2010 Chevy Tahoe for just under $50.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a Batteries Plus store nearby, $30 for most cars except Toyota & $40 programming. Total = $70

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:

I spoke with the parts department of the Toyota dealership my Dad's business buys parts from. The parts guy put me on hold and called a local locksmith he sometimes sends customers to because the dealer prices are so high. They said the part number specified in the instructables link above is only for 2010 and older. 2011 and newer takes a different key.

The OEM Toyota part number is 8978508040.

If the transponder key you have has a "G" at the base of the key blade, there are OEM "G" keys on Ebay.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: deepocean,

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The Ebay seller for the fob wrote back with this link:

http://www.programyourremote.com/ <---This link has instructions for many types of vehicles.

http://www.programyourremote.c...ns-listing-7411.aspx <---2011 Toyota Sienna

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Luckily it wasn't the $250K key to your Koenigsegg Agera!
Most expensive keys

Seriously, all of them are very expensive now. Once you get into any from the motherland those are pretty absurd, in the $4-600 range with programming.

Yep example: late model BMW motorcycle keyless ignition programmer/key....

$400.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:

I spoke with the parts department of the Toyota dealership my Dad's business buys parts from. The parts guy put me on hold and called a local locksmith he sometimes sends customers to because the dealer prices are so high. They said the part number specified in the instructables link above is only for 2010 and older. 2011 and newer takes a different key.

The OEM Toyota part number is 8978508040.

If the transponder key you have has a "G" at the base of the key blade, there are OEM "G" keys on Ebay.
Yup it has a G. Thank you for that.

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Yup it has a G. Thank you for that.

The parts guy at the dealership was a nice guy. I told him we weren't going to buy the parts from him and he helped me anyway. He did say you are wise to get the extra keys while you still have a good key. He said a Toyota dealer will charge you 2 or more shop hours if you lose all of the keys and they have to reprogram a new key code into the vehicle's system.

It is also helpful your fob and your key are separate. From what I've read, the dealer has to use their equipment to program the key fob if the fob is integrated into the key.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I saw a photo of that key programming device. Looks kinda like a OBD2 scanner. I will try and get 2 OEM keys and fobs off from Ebay. I havn't used my PayPal in years so logging in should be interesting. This is all way better than getting taken advantage of by a Toyota dealer. You've all been very helpful. Thank you.

Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
I am so glad I found the "keyless" portion of the fob in my car for the wife's Camry. Not sure how it released from the key, but I was not looking forward to replacing a 2017 fob.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post