SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Price of a transponder extra key & fob @ Toyota..
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price of a transponder extra key & fob @ Toyota.. Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The part I hate about these “smart keys” is that the trunk is not lockable. Hate that when valet is the only option.

Convenient until they aren’t.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Yeah, they really get ya by the balls.

Just got a jeep wrangler key fob replaced for the excellent price of $300...

Absolutely crazy.

That's what I paid for a replacement key fob that I thought we left at a valet service. I thought my wife and I each had a fob with us. And then I found where I secured the second fob in a very good place. Now we have three.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The part I hate about these “smart keys” is that the trunk is not lockable. Hate that when valet is the only option.

Convenient until they aren’t.

Actually, they are since I think you got a Lexus, right? In the glove box, there's a lever to lock the trunk. then you use the metal key in your key fob to lock the glove box. You keep the metal key and you give just the fob to the valet. They won't be able to get to your trunk and your glove box.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19588 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don’t have a smart key for the lexus, just the remote. But it does have a lockable trunk and valet key.

The new Camry has a smart key. And I haven’t figured out a way to lockout the trunk. Dealer said no way to do so. May install a vline back there.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
In addition to the $400 BMW replacement key, they want two hours labor to program it. I told them to piss off. I’m not giving them $150. I synched it to my car in seconds in front of them and drove off.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Darn BMW is expensive. I recall a friends lady taking his Harley Davidson key which he never got back. That IIRC was $300.00.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
Yeah, they really get ya by the balls.

Just got a jeep wrangler key fob replaced for the excellent price of $300...

Absolutely crazy.

That's what I paid for a replacement key fob that I thought we left at a valet service. I thought my wife and I each had a fob with us. And then I found where I secured the second fob in a very good place. Now we have three.

Ha! Dude, same thing. I found the one I thought we lost when I got home from being raped.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the OEM fobs wore out on my wife's Toyota Solara I bought 2 aftermarket clones off of EBAY for a total of $40. The seller sent instructions for programming which we printed out. Since the instructions provide time limits between programming actions, I had the wife in the car with me to read off the next step as we went through the instructions. Worked like a charm the first time!!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge it's vehicle dependent. When I thought I was smart and bought a chip key for my Tundra online thinking I could program it with the right sequence of key turns and brake pedal presses. My year Tundra had to be hooked up to the computer to program so I wound up saving around 5 bucks after paying the dealer to program it.

Posts: 3437 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
On the advice of some here to check out a lock and key smith, I found one local who will cut and program both keys and fobs for $60.00. They have good reviews from their customers. That as compared to a Toyota dealer is a very good price. Thanks again for pointing me in a good direction folks.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The Lock Smith I talked to yesterday kept saying some people are selling Toyota branded keys and fobs online which are not OEM. He said sometimes they cant be programmed. He may be correct but I doubt it. He said just enough to scare me off so, just down the Dixie Highway, 1 mile from the Market is a Lock Smith who cut and deburred my extra keys, used a very expensive looking computer hooked right into my OBD system and programmed both extra keys and my 2 extra Toyota fobs for the same price. He was done in 10 minutes. He used to be a LEO here in northern Kentucky and is a super nice gentalman. I gave him a extra 10 bucks and a excellent Google Maps review. It worked out nicely folks.