SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Equality of outcome (in producing workers in different occupations)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Equality of outcome (in producing workers in different occupations) Login/Join 
I grew up reading Sigforum
Picture of owenbright
posted
They constantly sing "we need more women" (or minority defined as Black/non-White Hispanic) in engineering.
It's like 15-20% women.

I've not seen the same cry for needing more men in education or nursing, where it's only about 15-20% men.

Why is it important to have the same % of male and female in a given occupation?

Posts: 1884 | Location: on the move | Registered: June 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owenbright:
They constantly sing "we need more women" (or minority defined as Black/non-White Hispanic) in engineering.
It's like 15-20% women.

I've not seen the same cry for needing more men in education or nursing, where it's only about 15-20% men.

Why is it important to have the same % of male and female in a given occupation?

It's not.

Posts: 2096 | Location: Bowling Green, KY | Registered: January 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
In your case, fewer women seek engineering degrees. I don't know if it's 15-20% but it's definitely lower. I know this because a friends daughter was seeking advise on engineering degrees and employment opportunities.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
At the same time I don't see lobbying for more white basketball and football players... Roll Eyes

Posts: 13096 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
And female basketball players are segregated to their own league, the WNBA.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's all about the ruling class to keep us at each other throats with silly issues likes these, while they laugh all the way to the bank and beyond.

Divide and keep conquered, baby.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
At the same time I don't see lobbying for more white basketball and football players... Roll Eyes

We also need an ADA type legal case, force them to lower the rim. Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
There are a number of reasons for the difference. Women tend to be drawn to occupations with lots of human contact. They also take breaks from their careers. Child raising is the biggest.
Males tend to work longer hours. Males looking at female dominated jobs tend to worry about the low pay and lack of status.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/0...mostly-by-women.html

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We also need more women:

Incarcerated - female 126/100,000 male 1,352/100,000.

Killed in combat - 97% men since the Gulf War.

Killed or injured in industrial accidents - 93% male.

Murdered - 93% male.

Posts: 994 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine always points out that no one decries the stunning underrepresentation of women in the garbage truck industry.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because Engineering (my profession) is mostly white guys. The jobs require a lot of education, and they pay pretty well (at least starting pay and early career pay before it stagnates).

I know many women who would have been capable of getting an engineering degree based on their high school performance, but they chose not to because of lack of interest. Can't force people to be interested in something they are not, and it's not always because of socially induced gender roles.

I have no interest in nursing at all. I had little interest in teaching because of the constant whining about low pay. However, I have found that the low pay (some districts including the high school district I attended, are not low at all), is more than offset by tenure, summers off, medical insurance, and retirement benefits. But now I think teaching in a far-left snowflake-safe environment would drive me crazy.

Women and minorities in Engineering are in high demand because there are so few. You would think that would encourage more women to get Engineering degrees.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I work at an engineering lab, and it seems to be darn near half women.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post