SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Former Facebook exec: Social media is ripping apart society
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Former Facebook exec: Social media is ripping apart society Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
I have to agree with him.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40...ipping-apart-society

Facebook’s former vice president for user growth Chamath Palihapitiya recently gave a talk at the Stanford Graduate School of Business that’ll probably make you think twice about your social media use (via the Verge). The entire talk is well worth a watch, but some of his most prominent remarks included:

That he feels “tremendous guilt” about Facebook. “I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works.”
“The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created [including the hearts, likes, and thumbs up of various social media channels] are destroying how society works.” He added, “[There’s] no civil discourse, no cooperation; [only] misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem–this is not about Russians ads. This is a global problem.”
Regarding an incident in which seven innocent men in India were lynched after a hoax about kidnappings spread through WhatsApp: “That’s what we’re dealing with. And imagine taking that to the extreme, where bad actors can now manipulate large swathes of people to do anything you want. It’s just a really, really bad state of affairs.”
Unsurprisingly, when it comes to social media, his children “aren’t allowed to use that shit.”

Posts: 20082 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Ya don't say...Roll Eyes I have no Facebook, Tweeter, Instawhatever, etc, and I don't feel like I'm missing a thing.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I've labelled it anti-social media for a long time with my family and friends

Posts: 23397 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I disagree that social media "caused it." Society was always good at ripping itself apart. Social Media aka the internet, just made it faster.

In a world where advertisers earn money by getting clicks, being divisive does that. We are in the age of opinions, people always had opinions they were just unable to scale it at a rate as fast as the internet provides.

15 years ago you only had do deal with your crazy uncle bob at the holidays. Now it's 24/7 crazy Bob.

People have and always will be assholes, they just now have a medium that allows them to broadcast it to the world.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I agree and have had to curb my use. It's mainly to keep in touch with family/friends and my car groups. I post nothing political anymore.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
He's more or less right, and so is Deqlyn.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Don't do social media of any kind, never will. Social media is largely an exercise in self validation via the approval of others. Farcebook, twatter, and Instagrab are toxic data mining venues, as far as I'm concerned.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15561 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Don't do social media of any kind, never will.
Actually, you do.

You just don't bother with the mind-numbing, meaningless, impersonal Facespace crap.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Insofar as Web Fora constitute Social Media, I participate.

Compared to Facebook Et al. I think we can agree that my exposure to the genre is pretty limited.

Even so, I catch myself exhibiting a couple of associated behaviors in a minor sort of way:

1. I have WAY more friends on line than I do in person. I don't worry unduly about this as people in my age group with similar interests are pretty thin on the ground around here. I've actually met about a dozen or so of my cyber-friends either via travelling to their part of the world or having them travel to mine, and so far every one has been the person I expected them to be based on their on-line persona.

2. I find myself getting a little miffed if I post something and no one replies. It's the old "nobody likes me, I'm gonna go sit in the garden and eat worms" response and it's beyond childish. I have to remind myself of that occasionally.

Still, I'd hate like hell to go back to pre-Internet days. Even my wife has climbed onto the "look it up on the computer" wagon.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zimman20
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Don't do social media of any kind, never will.
Actually, you do.

You just don't bother with the mind-numbing, meaningless, impersonal Facespace crap.

I was just wondering what he thought SigForum was. Big Grin

--------------------------------------------------------------
zman

P229 SAS
Sig 1911 STX

Posts: 936 | Location: Stanley, NC | Registered: September 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
SigForum is my social media. It's safe here. No exgirlfriends, no high school dorks, no former friends that will expect me to be the old df. I have shed the chrysalis of my past and do not intend for it to reanimate.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Really? What a shock. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No FACEBOOK here, either. Or TWEETS.

The world doesn't need to know how I spend my days or live my life.

I can appreciate the advantages of being able to keep up with births, deaths, family additions, etc. in today's far-flung families and circles of friends. But, I'm satisfied to let the wife play those games and just keep me informed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Even my wife has climbed onto the "look it up on the computer" wagon.

But your shelf space is free for more books with all those damn encyclopedias gone!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
quote:
That he feels “tremendous guilt” about Facebook.

Enough to give back all the money he made?

Yeah . . . that's what I thought.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
I enjoy social media, and not just sigforum; I’m also on FB. People who are getting “ripped apart” are just bad at using it. My FB feed is exclusively guns, art and birds with an honorable mention to friends. There are several people I like in real life who I’ve unfriended because they use FB in a way I don’t like: either too many posts or argumentative posts or whatever.

Bottom line, social media is like anything else: use in moderation, stay in control, don’t be an asshole, etc. Follow a few guidelines and it’ll be an informative asset in your life. Let it control you, and you’ll be unhappy. That’s been my experience anyway.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Even my wife has climbed onto the "look it up on the computer" wagon.

But your shelf space is free for more books with all those damn encyclopedias gone!

Indeed. And no need to buy updates every year. At the rate things are changing these days, can you imagine the size/expense of an Encyclopedia Britannica?

Besides, I need that shelf space for my Heinlein and Spider Robinson collection...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15210 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post