SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacation pictures from the Uinta Mountains
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacation pictures from the Uinta Mountains Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Great photos. I’ve only been once when my son and I accompanied my brother’s scout troop about 10 years ago. I believe we started near Mirror Lake and did a 3-4 day loop, with the last day having a sharp ridge to climb. We tied a rope to the stubborn kid and pulled him the last half mile up the ridge.

Fun times.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Very nice photos. I've never been there (don't even know where it is).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Lovely. One of the prettier places in the lower 48 IMO.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3181 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of them, but have been to Utah twice and am very impressed with what we did see. Would love to move there, but alas, without winning the Lottery, I don't see it in our cards.

Thanks much for the beautiful views!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Was that Bald Mountain visible in the last photo?

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Yes. A new picture.

Posts: 12434 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Looks really beautiful. I don't venture north of I-70 very often, never been up there. I considered going this August but it's just not working out.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
BB61, that is a beautiful panorama.

(Your name--were you assigned there?)

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Hiked to the top of Bald Mountain in Oct 1999. Started at the pass at 10,400 feet and followed the trail to the top. With lungs acclimated to 4800 elevation it still made my hiking partner and I a bit winded. Great trip though. Sadly have not seen it since. Still beautiful though.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple of weeks as a scout camping and hiking in the high Uintas. I've always loved the mountains.

Funny though. Mostly all I remember is the asthma, losing sensation in fingers, and lips and toes, and struggling to breathe. That, and the scout master that kept prodding me in the back with a stick and saying move faster, kid, Don't be a wimp.

I'd still like to smash his head with a rock and leave him in a lake up there, somewhere.

Good times.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
BB61, that is a beautiful panorama.

(Your name--were you assigned there?)

flashguy

^^^^
No. I have a 6’ R/C model of the Iowa that shoots 1/4” steel ball bearings in battle. Link to a club in Australia. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4d3yn9CHGY. There is a big one in Texas and one in the Midwest too.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I spent a couple of weeks as a scout camping and hiking in the high Uintas. I've always loved the mountains.

Funny though. Mostly all I remember is the asthma, losing sensation in fingers, and lips and toes, and struggling to breathe. That, and the scout master that kept prodding me in the back with a stick and saying move faster, kid, Don't be a wimp.

I'd still like to smash his head with a rock and leave him in a lake up there, somewhere.

Good times.

My scoutmaster was quite physically capable. When we went on such hikes in the Uintas, and a scout was lagging, my scoutmaster would take the scouts backpack, hook it to his own backpack, didn't miss a step.

I followed the example, once. But our Troop was hiking to the beach around Santa Cruz, CA (all downhill and at sea level, quite different conditions Smile )

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Understood. I was a scoutmaster twice, and never treated the boys like that. I remembered the abuse, and took pains to ensure the scouts under my care were treated much differently.

Only one of my sons made it to eagle. Thread drift.

The Uintas are a magical place.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
With all the talk about scouting in the Uintas, I thought I should chime in. I was still 11 when I went on my very first scout camp. It was comprised of two troops. The scoutmasters in both troops were outdoorsmen and decided that each boy was going to earn the Hiking merit badge that week. 10 miles M-W, 20 miles on Thursday and 10 more miles Friday and Saturday. Base camp was White Pine Lake up Logan Canyon. One of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. While 70 miles in one week was a lot, our scoutmasters took care of us. One of the most interesting days, we hiked way back in and entered a valley where silver miners, somehow, how brought in a steam engine to power their mining operations. Decades later, it still sits in the middle of the Logan Cache National Forest. The Uintas remind me of Logan Canyon, different but equally beautiful. And yes, I earned my Hiking merit badge.

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I dug out some photos from the High Uintas and scanned them.

This first picture is actually not in the high country, it's down in the vicinity of Hanna, either Blind Stream or Log Hollow.

These next pictures are all up in the High Uintas. This is a wet meadow near Palisade Lake

My horses in Brinton Meadow

The next two are over by Shadow Lake

Way high up at the head of Rock Creek. Up over the top would be the N slope of the Uintas

Taken from Rocky Sea Pass. To the west, over the pass would be the Wasatch/Cache NF. That's looking east though, out over the Rock Creek drainage.

Edited to add: The fog of years passing. Rocky Sea Pass separates the upper Rock Creek drainage from Grandaddy Basin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Great pics. You ought to get a good photo editor and restore the original colors.

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Did you learn how the mountains were named?

It goes back to Lewis and Clark's expedition of discovery.

Sacajawea met a local Indian she recruited as a guide. The guide who was giving out information about what lay ahead.

Sacajawea asked about the availability of sweet water to drink. "Lots of good drinking water ahead," was the reply.

She asked about the availability of game to eat. "There are plenty of antelope, bison, deer, and elk, plus fish, birds, and small game readily available to shoot." said her Indian guide.

"Are there hostile tribes we need to avoid?" ask Sacajawea. "No, not really, though you never know about a specific tribe or Indian," said the guide.

"How about the terrain?" She asked. "You in ta mountains?" was the guide's quizzical reply.

So an imprecise translation led to Sacajawea telling Lewis that there were mountains ahead, the Uinta Mountains.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Got back up to the Uintas last weekend for some relaxation.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
^^^^
Great pics. You ought to get a good photo editor and restore the original colors.
I have Adobe Lightroom and would be willing to give it a try. If possible, I'd rather do it with originals sent via e-mail, but I might be able to work with the ones posted here.

As a taste, I did a little with the first pic:
TTLl5SFl by David Casteel, on Flickr

flashguy

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Here is a pic I took of the awesome fall colors in the Uintahs a couple of years back. Area is the Blacks fork river area on the North slope.

Love these mountains...

[url=https://postimg.cc/svFKbkxN]

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post